October 2013 Moms

Airplane Travel Advice?

We are taking our first big trip from NYC to Texas next week. I've read tons of blogs and decided to keep her in the carrier as much as possible through the airport and feed her at take off and landing. (At least)

I think we are going to ditch bringing a stroller too...wondering if that is insane. But since we'll be in cars and houses mostly it seems ok. Any other advice?

Re: Airplane Travel Advice?

• AlexandrapAlexandrap member
    edited November 2013
    If you are going to wear you don't need the stroller for the most part, at least in the airport . Are you buying the baby a seat or lap child. A lot people suggest not checking the car seat because of the possible abuse the chair could sustain. Other than extra changes of clothes and anything that can soothe her.
  • @NRyann55 would you bring umbrella stroller or real one (have city mini) thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ill be flying from Texas to New Hampshire next month. Did you buy a seat for baby? I'll be using a carrier as wrll and will keep her in it on the flight.

• Tons of extra diapers, wipes, clothes, and clothes for you too...my friend was flying with her baby and the baby had a poopsplosion that leaked onto my friend's jeans...she had extra clothes for baby but nothing for her...
  • We're flying internationally Monday. I didn't get LO her own seat but have her as a lap baby. We are gate checking the stroller and car seat--and yes, you're supposed to get them back for your connections. We're also bringing her Boba carrier in case we want to use that. If she gets grumpy, I'll BF her. A boob in the mouth will cure any ill. And yea, no umbrella stroller that young,
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • @nryan55 thankfully I haven't been there yet BUT we flew with DS when he was 2 and i didn't pack extra clothes for him since it was a 2 hr direct flight and i thought we were past the age of diaper leaks (he has solid poops so now blow-outs up the back and i change his diaper right before we get on the flight)...lo and behold DH must have been holding him weird because he leaked pee all over his shorts and DH's jeans. DS had to fly the rest of the way pantsless until we got baggage claim and i could get clean pants, and DH just had to wear his pee pants. At least it wasn't on mommy ;)
  • We flew with DS1 when he was really little. Took our city mini and it was so easy! They checked it as we got on the plane and it was waiting as we got off the plane! Easy then to help carry stuff through airport! We went to Disney though so didnt need carseat...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is really helpful thanks all. We are just doing her in our lap, so def will gate check everything. Was thinking I could use umbrella stroller w/infant insert but hadn't looked to see of that was safe. Will stick with city mini.
  • Checking a car seat makes it a seat with unknown history. I wouldn't recommend it. You don't know what happens to it once it leaves your sight. It would be the same as buying a used car seat with no idea if it's been in an accident.
    I would also suggest purchasing a seat for your LO so you can install car seat rear facing on the plane. Lap babies are unsafe. Most accidents happen during takeoff and landing in addition to turbulence. Baby can easily become a projectile, putting them, you, and everyone else on the plane at risk. Baby wearing is also not recommended as baby basically becomes your airbag in an emergency.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Any issues with your newborns/infants getting sick while traveling on planes?
  • Lchai said:

Any issues with your newborns/infants getting sick while traveling on planes?

I think kids are more likely to get sick when they're toddlers and eating things off the floor when you look away for half a second.
    Or licking the airplane window and smushing their face all over the seat...toddlers are gross. (Mine did this on one flight...it took everything in me not to throw up)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"