1st Trimester
Options

Advice about when to schedule appointment?

Okay, so I'm in my 8th week (9th soon) (based on first day of last period), we just signed up with Hubby's job's health insurance (we weighed our options and figured this was best), but it doesn't go into effect until Dec. 1st.  I haven't been to any doctor since taking a HPT and getting a positive (Clearblue).  I have a GP I've been going to since I was a teenager and I REALLY like her, I'm thinking about calling up her office and seeing about doing a confirmation pregnancy test and physical.  I'll have to pay for it all out of pocket, and I don't know who is in the new insurance's plan (or how to find out for that matter) to see about an OB.  I'm just wondering if I should (despite not technically having HI yet) see about getting a first prenatal appointment scheduled?  This is my first pregnancy and I haven't told my mother yet for reasons so I can't really get her advice.  I'm just concerned that I'm waiting too long...?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Advice about when to schedule appointment?

• Options
    @RedheadBaker:  XD;  I read your "You're pregnant." in some weird headvoice that made me laugh.  So thanks~  But yea, I guess I just need to pull up my big girl panties and get on the phone.  It just makes me nervous cause I don't want to settle on someone and then come to find out I DON'T actually like them.  Oh well, if that happens I'll figure what to do then.  :P
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's what I meant.  : )
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I made mine right away with all 3 of my pregnancies.
  • Options
    You can call your Dr and see when they'll even schedule an appt. I called mine when I was about 7 weeks and they ended up scheduling me for December 9, which means I'll be around 12 weeks by then! So maybe your Dr office will end up scheduling u after your insurance kicks in anyway! Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm sorry I don't understand the problem. The first is on Sunday. Tomorrow is thanksgiving and then it's literally 2 days until December 1st. Why can't you just wait?
  • Options

Snarky snarky today...

The providers in my area usually schedule the first appt with ultrasound around 8 weeks. If you wait until your insurance is in effect, and it's later than 8 weeks, it's no problem at all.  You'll definitely want to make sure you schedule by 12 weeks, since that is the timeframe they do the NT screen. 

(https://www.babycenter.com/0_nuchal-translucency-screening_118.bc)

Since you really like your current doctor, you can ask her for a referral to an OB. Since you're quickly approaching 9 weeks and it's the busy holiday season, I'd call and make the appt ASAP! They may want to do a dating scan to verify how far along you are. 

GL!

Beta #1 - 10dpo = 50

Beta #2 - 12dpo - 127

Beta #3 - 24dpo - 15,594!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    seells said:
    I'm sorry I don't understand the problem. The first is on Sunday. Tomorrow is thanksgiving and then it's literally 2 days until December 1st. Why can't you just wait?
    This.  You likely wouldn't even be able to get an appointment with your GP before the 1st anyways, so I'm unsure why this is a question?  If you'd like, you can see your GP, but they will likely just refer you to an OBGYN anyways, so that's where I'd start.  Just call them and they'll schedule you per their office policy based on your LMP.
  • Options
    Mjl0405:  Thank you for all your advice and insight, it really helped me!

cMichelle0423:  Thank you as well!

@Pepper6:  Thanks for the advice on starting with the GP and them referring me to an OB.  Because honestly I would just pick up the phone book and throw at dart at the listings to find one, otherwise.  I have no clue.  This is my first child and I'm learning as I go.  Just like everyone else had to do their first time (I don't have any other female guidance otherwise, that's why I'm here). 

To everyone else wondering "what the problem was", there wasn't a problem, just I didn't know if me waiting (because I DIDN'T have HI) was detrimental in any way.  As you've all mention, with the holidays, it's not like I was wanting to be seen BEFORE the 1st as that IS pretty unrealistic.  

What I have to do now is call my GP and see if she can refer me to any OBs and then see if those are in my HI's network.  Then call them and schedule the appointment!  Thanks so much to everyone who responded in a helpful way, I needed the assurance and peace of mind.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I heard about my OB through a friend before I got pregnant. If you have any friends with kids you may ask them about their OB's and whether they would reccomend them.

• Options
    Since you're 8 weeks along I'd probably call to schedule an appointment just so you can get n the books- and that way if the OB wants to see you soon then hopefully they can do so right after your insurance kicks in. I'd say just explain when you make the appointment that you're OOP until 12/1; they may ask you to call back after 12/1 to give them your insurance info or to come extra early to your first appointment to get all the paperwork updated. 

If you don't know who is covered by your insurance your H's employer should be able to tell you at least the name of your plan so you can ask when you call to schedule the appointment if they accept that insurance.

I do agree with asking your GP for a recommendation- she'd probably recommend someone that has a similar approach as she does, which hopefully would be a good fit for you. I don't really see much benefit in getting the physical, especially if you have to pay OOP for it, since you're still within the normal time frame for your first prenatal visit. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    @Curlylocks3:  Thank you~I plan on Monday calling my GP's office and seeing if they recommend certain OB's, then crossing them with my HI, then calling them to see about getting an appointment.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"