December 2013 Moms

Membrane rupture, december 13 moms

I went for my normal week checkup and my obgyn told me next appointment shes gonna rupture my membrane to help me a little induce labor but im not due til dec 13 isnt this a little drastic and have any of you ladies had it done ? Im feel apprehensive about this... Im still having no signs of labor or contractions just leg pain and back pain.. One more question anyone on the same due date as me and have you already been in early labor? ...
imageimageimage

Re: Membrane rupture, december 13 moms

• Is there a medical reason for this?
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Btw, my due date is the day after yours and baby is still cooking away
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of 'rupturing' membranes just sweeping them.

If that's what you're refering to then yes its normal and no it doesn't mean you will go into labor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If the baby isn't in a good position -turned posterior and low in the pelvis below a specific marker- it won't help- it'll just be more painful bc harder for baby to move into position and more likely you'll have a c-section bc baby isn't ready. My friend's doc did this for her first and she had a horrible labor that ended in a section. She did VBAC for her second after la boring with a doula and had a much more positive experience. You can always decline and say you'd prefer the baby break the bags of water naturally- frequently Doesnt happen t till 5-8 cm according to my Bradley Doula.
  • Sweeping membranes I can see but actually rupturing them? Then you would go straight to the hospital an would have to have her within 24 hours... I would decline the rupture and only go for a sweep *if you want to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same due date, no signs of labor for me.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • I had my membranes swept at my appointment last Tuesday. I'm due on Monday and have had no signs of having this baby!

• Like PPs said, you probably mean sweep, not rupture.  Mine have been swept twice and I'm still here, due Monday.  Also, you have to be dilated so they can get in there. 

• I know my Dr calls it rupturing membranes. They did it w DD at about 38 wks and I was still over due and had induction. It is just trying to get your cervix going for you to go into labor naturally so you don't have to be induced.
  • katebusse said:

I had my membranes swept at my appointment last Tuesday. I'm due on Monday and have had no signs of having this baby!

Im in the same boat. In due Tuesday, had my membranes swept last Tuesday, only to have light sporting and a baby not wanting to move.

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've never heard of 'rupturing' membranes just sweeping them. If that's what you're refering to then yes its normal and no it doesn't mean you will go into labor.
    Rupturing your membranes is just breaking your water, and it does have the tendency to send you into labor. What's weird though is that she would even send you home after doing that instead of sending you to L&D because they usually want a delivery 24hrs or less after your membranes are ruptured due to increased susceptibility to infection. I would ask for a better explanation of the procedure and why your OB does it that way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 - DD conceived April 2012, born January 10, 2013 
    BFP #2 - DS conceived March 2013, born December 20, 2013
    Two babies, 11 months apart! We're in for a ride!
  • thanks for the  advice ladies,  guess Ill skip this sweep  or rupture method.. and let things happen naturally...
    imageimageimage

• kron28kron28 member
    edited December 2013
    I had my membrane sweep last time at 40 weeks, on a Friday 11am.  I was dilate at 1.5 and went into labor Monday morning.  It worked like clockwork for me  because I read that the average person will go into labor 72 hours after having their membrane swipe.  However, my sister had her membrane sweep and nothing happen to her.  I just turn 38 weeks and at my 37 week I was at  1. I hope my doctor will sweep my membrane at 39 weeks.
  • katebusse said:

I had my membranes swept at my appointment last Tuesday. I'm due on Monday and have had no signs of having this baby!

I wish there was a sad lovetit for this... Keep me posted LB
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Same due date as you and my doc is just starting cervix checks this week. I've had a few contractions. That's about it for me and my contractions have been more back pain than anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"