October 2013 Moms

BF and caffeine

I was looking for discussion on this but I'm mobile and not able to search. Sorry if this topic has been discussed and I missed it.

I'm trying to figure out how caffeine effects breast milk. I'm EBF and the past week I've had a cup of coffee in the morning. Haven't really seen any change to LO's sleep pattern. Yesterday afternoon I had a pumpkin spice latte (so good!) but got caffeine after ordering decaf. LO didn't have a good night but I don't know if it was the caffeine or overstimulation from my family who's visiting. Anyone have thoughts on caffeine/BM or drinking caffeine without issues? TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF and caffeine

• I have never notice an affect on any of my kids. This is my third baby and I have always EBF and I always have a cup or two of coffee in the morning and the occasional Starbucks.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had 1 cup of caffeine for 3 days in a row. It was a large earl grey tea and also a large chai latte. My kid was a monster for those 3 days. I don't know if its connected but i'd rather not relive that hell. No mas caffeine for me.
  • I have a cup of coffee each morning, a coke in the afternoon, and occasional Starbucks and never notice a difference. All of that is under 300 mg so I think it's completely fine.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I am mobile and I search for discussions all the time......

Anyway, as PPs have said...I drink caffeine and haven't noticed a significant difference, but it could be different for others.

• I've read that it depends on what your baby is used to from being in utero. So if you limited or eliminated caffeine when you were pregnant then your baby is going to react to it. However if you continued to drink a cup or two then your baby is already used to a certain amount of caffeine.
  • My LC said just not to drink in excess. I asked for clarification and she said no more than 5 cups a day. But didn't specify what exactly
  • I've read it can decrease your supply but like the others said I have yet to see that and drink quite a few sodas a day.

• I recently started drinking a cup of coffee each morning and sometimes a chai later in the morning and I haven't noticed a change. I cut out caffeine when I was pregnant so I suppose LO never got "used to it" but she doesn't seem to mind?
  • JRWies22JRWies22 member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the responses! I drank it pregnant and didn't want to give it up, when I now need caffeine more than ever. Glad to hear so many aren't seeing any adverse affects.
  • I'm having to cut out caffeine because I noticed a correlation between my drinking it and days he had an upset stomach, refused to sleep, and was generally an inconsolable mess.  Granted, cutting caffeine makes me want to be an inconsolable mess, but at least he's sleeping and less fussy!
    Anniversary
    February Signature Challenge: Valentine's Day GIFs

image     image     image
  • jeneshieldsjeneshields member
    edited November 2013
    I drank a cup of coffee while pregnant almost every day. But I tried on two different occasions and LO was a terror after. I think everyone is just different.
  • edited November 2013
    @AmyG*

I had thought he might have a milk allergy from the way he was reacting, but I cut out dairy for a few days and he still had the issues.  Could it still have been the creamer causing the problem?  I would love to have my caffeine back!

ETA: Sorry for the accidental thread-jack.
    Anniversary

• @babygiantquest it can take up to a week or two for all the milk proteins to leave your system and for you to notice a difference in baby, if that's the problem.
    Well, crud.  He seems better after cutting out the caffeine.  Guess I'll be asking the pediatrician at our next appointment.
    Anniversary

• When DS1 was 3 weeks old, we moved across state, and I drank a LOT of coffee to stay awake. He was up for nine hours straight that day/night. So, there's definitely a connection, but I think that a cup or two a day probably won't make a difference.

• If I drink a coffee in the morning/afternoon, he's fine. On the other hand, I forgot to order a decaf in the evening once and he was awake and fussy till 4:30am. I will NOT be making that mistake again!
    Anniversary 

• I don't normally have a lot of caffeine. I totally cut it out when pregnant but would like to go back to my black tea in the morning. A little scared to do it though. Maybe one day ill try and see what the reprocutions are:)
  • I know this is probably not helpful but my kids have all reacted to caffeine differently while bfing. DD1 could not handle it until she was over 3 months. DD2 it never seemed to effect her and LO it effects her but not as bad as DD1. I can atleast have a cup to a cup and a half without a problem with her. But that could also be there temperaments.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"