August 2013 Moms
Options

Talk to me about daycare...

So even though I'm a SAHM until next August, DH and I are talking about daycare for LO for when I go back. We are clueless on what daycare costs. So if you don't mind sharing, tell me abut your daycare situation? Do you pay by the week, hour, in home daycare vs daycare center, etc??
Also, what is your experience with Care.com? What about using flexible spending to pay for daycare? Any info you're willing to share will be great!
I'm sure this was brought up when we were all still pregnant but I can't find relavent posts.

Thanks!

Re: Talk to me about daycare...

• Options
    LJUTCMommyLJUTCMommy member
    edited November 2013
    It would be helpful to know your area, as the rates vary greatly by HCOL vs LCOL areas.

I had a great experience using care.com. I interviewed several people. It was really convenient as I could message them on the site and contact other members who had left "reviews". I actually contacted my nanny on Craigslist, but she was on Care.com too. We decided to pay her hourly, but she had a day rate originally. She comes to our home, but she brings her toddler with her. I drew up a contract that details hours, rates, vacation days, what to do if illness/injuries happen, emergency contacts...all those things. I think it's important to have something like that if you hire an independent person as opposed to going with a center.

I don't have a FSA, but if you do, I definitely suggest using it. It will be a smart decision tax-wise. 

ETA: We also did an independent, private background check. Our nanny had one on both care.com and sitter city, but DH and I felt it was best to do our own research as well.

• Options
    @kebert618 @hstautz first post perfectly illustrated my point about HCOL vs LCOL. In my area (and the area where I work) the cheapest DCs start at $395/week for infants.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We chose a center as well. We pay $268 a week, but I get a 10% discount for working at a local hospital so I pay $241.20. I joined care.com but there are hardly any centers in my area listed so I found it useless. I searched my state website for daycare certification and looked for a history of violations and recent inspections. We are going to start using our "Dependent Care" FSA next year. We're taking out the max of $5000 which is around $200 a paycheck. Then I've set up the FSA to automatically deposit the $200 in my bank account. To the government it looks like I earned $5000 less, but I'm getting it all back.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Options
    Our 3.5yo is in a center and has been since he was 9mo old (I SAH w him until then). Now it's essentially preschool w a set curriculum and activities. It's 100% the right environment for him. He goes FT 5 days a week and we pay about $1000/mo. As he's gotten older, the cost had gone done. When he was an infant, it was $1200/mo.

My mom and sister watch the twins during the day. Both have other employment - my sister is a server/bartender and my mom actually has two other jobs. We pay them, but it's definitely a discounted rate for watching two babies.

We live in a relatively HCOL. It's not as nuts as CA or NYC, but it's not cheap either.

• Options
    Holy crap I'm loving mine even more after reading this thread. We do live in a lcol area though. I pay $80per week for 4 days of care. It's my sil 's home daycare. I do get the family discount. I think she charges $110 per week (5days) normally.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    We live in Columbus, Ohio...so we're on the lower end for cost of living. I'm a teacher and my salary isn't great....just trying to justify if its worth it for me to go back in the fall....
  • Options
    We take the boys to an in home center and pay 300 a week. 325 if we drop them off earlier than normal.
  • Options
    I take my LO to a center. I like the piece of mind that there are several adults in the baby area so he can never be mistreated or set in a corner for the whole day as someone with a home daycare might get away with. I also like that he will always just be with his age group and not a mixture of all ages. I live in ND and I pay a monthly fee of $700. I also use FSA, it would be silly NOT to it seems.
  • Options

I take my LO to a center. I like the piece of mind that there are several adults in the baby area so he can never be mistreated or set in a corner for the whole day as someone with a home daycare might get away with. I also like that he will always just be with his age group and not a mixture of all ages. I live in ND and I pay a monthly fee of $700. I also use FSA, it would be silly NOT to it seems.

I think you are being a little rude and insensitive to imply home care centers are not as good as day care centers. My boys are not mistreated or put in the corner all day. GTFO
  • Options
    @kkramer1211 She wanted our opinions and I'm a nervous first time mom so that's why I chose a center. Just listed a few pros/cons. Notice I said they MIGHT get away with that. Sensitive are we? Haha
  • Options
    We chose a daycare through a local church. Paying $120/week. Only drawback is they don't have to follow state laws because they aren't an actual center... But they do follow them as guidelines. We just can't sue if something isn't followed I guess. Health Department and fire department inspect on a regular schedule. The place came highly recommended from multiple friends. The ladies that watch LO are amazing and the limit is 5 babies in the room. I didn't chose one option over another... It was really the only option we had for our budget.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
  • Options

@kkramer1211 She wanted our opinions and I'm a nervous first time mom so that's why I chose a center. Just listed a few pros/cons. Notice I said they MIGHT get away with that. Sensitive are we? Haha

Glad you find yourself to be so funny. As a second time mom, I can tell you my sitter is not putting my kid in the corner all day. Who the fuck says that. OP asked about pricing and experience with care.com not your opposition to an in home sitter.
  • Options
    @kkramer1211 you aren't worth my time and picking a fight on a thread or hijacking it is rude. Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend! :-h
  • Options
    alexkylee said:

Glad you find yourself to be so funny. As a second time mom, I can tell you my sitter is not putting my kid in the corner all day. Who the fuck says that. OP asked about pricing and experience with care.com not your opposition to an in home sitter.
    OP asked about our daycare situations, that kind of opens the door as to why you chose one over the other. I'm not opposed to in-home (actually went to one growing up), but one of my friends caught her sitter screaming at her infant on a nanny cam. Glad your comfortable with your sitter, but not everyone has the same feelings.
    I'm aware that things like that happen. And yes I'm very comfortable with my sitter. Bad things can happen to kids anywhere so implying what MAY be happening at an in home center may NOT be happening at a daycare center is BS.
  • Options
    I used care.com to find a part time nanny. I'm in a HCOL Area and feel like I'm getting a great deal at $10/hour. (Average is more like 12-15) She'll come 3 days a week for 5-6 hours. I was less concerned with experience since DH wfh full time and I work 1/2 at home and 1/2 in office. I liked using care.com. The women I interviewed were all viable candidates, almost too experienced for what I was looking for.
    I also looked at daycare centers and they wanted about $8/hr but had minimum hour requirements that weren't ideal for us.
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Options
    Wow, this post turned into a shit show.

We used care.com and we found a great in home nanny that we feel great about. She will be here when my H and I are both at work (scheduled varies). My H recently installed in home cameras because that's what makes us comfortable. We aren't using FSA to pay for care.

GL OP!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We use a center. We live in a moderately HCOL area. We pay $1100 for DS for preschool and $1500 for DD in the infant room. So yeah, we spend $31k on daycare a year...

We feel it is worth it to us. We think the socialization/education he receives there is well worth it. We know DD will get the same. Once DS starts school we may have to rethink a nanny situation etc. As we will need something closer to home for before and after school. But we still have about a year and a half before I need to think about that. lol

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options

alexkylee said:

OP asked about our daycare situations, that kind of opens the door as to why you chose one over the other. I'm not opposed to in-home (actually went to one growing up), but one of my friends caught her sitter screaming at her infant on a nanny cam. Glad your comfortable with your sitter, but not everyone has the same feelings.
    I'm aware that things like that happen. And yes I'm very comfortable with my sitter. Bad things can happen to kids anywhere so implying what MAY be happening at an in home center may NOT be happening at a daycare center is BS.
    Someone is grumpy. Not enough stuffing this year???

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

alexkylee said:

Someone is grumpy. Not enough stuffing this year???
    Lol yeah that's it :-@
  • Options
    Kebert618Kebert618 member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks ladies- gives me somewhat of an idea what to expect. Thankfully I have until the spring or early Summer to figure this out.
  • Options
    For Oct and Nov, I paid a family member (cousin) who SAH to watch him- I was so uncomfortable with him in daycare so young! This month, my MIL is watching until H (a teacher) is off for Xmas. This was what worked for us.

Beginning Jan 3, Joel will go to a center. I chose a center with cameras so I could watch him whenever I wanted. It was also 2 miles from work. I live in a LCOL area, and we pay $135 a week. It's the most expensive in our area, but worth it IMO and we are excited for him to start there.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    I forgot to mention this earlier, but try and choose a place near your home especially if one of you travels at all.

MH works 15mi west of our house and I work 15mi east of our house. Our oldest is in preschool/daycare near H's work so when he travels, I have to drive 15mi in the opposite direction from work to drop DS off at school only to turn around and drive 30mi to my work. It blows and takes about 90min to do the whole thing.

There aren't any schools near us that I like, so it is what it is for us but if you have a choice, choose close to home.

• Options
    We send Owen to an in home center. My best friend had a little girl 3 weeks before me and her mom now stays home with Owen and my friend's little girl. I live outside St. Louis, so I couldn't consider it either HCOL or LCOL, but I pay $165/week.
  • Options
    You can have good and bad experiences in any type of care: at home nanny, in home provider or center. Choosing a particular type doesn't guarantee quality care.
    Do your homework, interview them several times, drop by unannounced, ask for references & actually call them. Must importantly, trust your gut. If you are at all uncomfortable, move on to the next on the list. I know you say you have until the spring/summer but it can be hard to find a place that works. It's never too early to start looking.
    We ended up choosing an in home provider who only has one other child, the low ratio makes me happy when LO is this young. We pay $250/week in a HCOL area. I'll move her to a center when she is about 3yo so she can start to get more social interaction in preparation for school.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! This is really helpful- keep them coming!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"