Cloth Diapering

Charlie banana vs kawaii diapers

Hi, I'm a STM-to-be (34 weeks), but first time contemplating cloth diapering. I see so many new brands and options than I did 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I'm very overwhelmed by the choices, but I really like charlie banana ones (mainly for size, my baby is not going to be very big, probably right around 7 lbs or less). I came across kawaii brand and feel very tempted due to price and print choices. Do they not hold up as well?

Also, does anybody have an opinion on charlie banana disposable inserts?

Thanks in advance, I do hope to cloth diaper this LO so I'm trying to get everything ready.

Re: Charlie banana vs kawaii diapers

• My whole stash is Charlie Banana and Kawaii P&N. CB are one size and will fit newborns but probably not till 9-10 lbs. Kawaii PN are smaller and should fit from birth. I like both kind but I love my CBs. I get leaks from time to time in the Kawaii but not the CBs.  Kawaii are very well made and are holding up just fine for us.

You also have to remember that all babies are different and the diapers may not fit yours. You can't really know till they get here. I did the big no no of buying my stash before LO was born. I got lucky as they all fit him from 2 weeks on. He was born a bit over 9 lbs and was never a skinny thing so we didn't have any issues with leg gaps. I have heard that CBs don't fit skinny legs as well.

I have some disposable inserts but have never used them. We have traveled with our diapers and haven't had an issue but we don't do a whole lot of traveling or for very long periods. That would be what I would envision using those for.

I would recommend both brands but don't be like me and buy them all at once. Try out a few and see if they will work before you get everything you need.
  • Try some of both. I like having nice diapers and a few cheapies. If something happened to a cheap one, I wouldn't be horribly upset.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Loading the player...
  • I have both. I haven't had any leak issues with either, and they both seem pretty well made. I personally like the CB's better because I like the feel of the material. I have some minky Kawaiis, but I think the fluffy fabric makes them extra bulky. The CB's seem trimmer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 12 CB in XS that I bought before she was here. They have worked awesome and I can say I love them. They work great for when we are going someplace and she'll be in her diaper longer. Now that she's sleeping longer stretches, I just stuff them with a orange edge GMD and no leaks.

January Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails:

imageimage
      imageimage
  • I'm not sure she'll be back but who knows :-/

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have about 20 CB's. I bought them when Target had them on clearance for around $7-$8 each. They are not my favorite. I much prefer my BG's. I send those to daycare.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• MamatolilbeeMamatolilbee member
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
  • Sorry, I don't know why that appeared 3 times!!

imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks for all responses. I just don't want to waste money on something that's not going to work, but I guess there is no way to really figure out what works until my LO is here! I was going to get 1 box (6 covers and 12 inserts) xs size from charlie banana and get 6 more from kawaii but now I'm not sure. Maybe get 3 of each and see how LO does with them? I'm sure once I start, CD will be fine but right now I'm still overwhelmed with choices.

@slm0019 - why did you not like CB? And why do you prefer BG? Thanks in advance!
  • I haven't used the CB, but I do use the Kawaii P and Ns. My LO was 6 lb 13 oz at birth, so also on the smaller side, and they fit from birth, though I had to twist the tabs to get the waist small enough for the first week. The one size diapers we have (incl Happy Heineys, GoGreens, Rumparooz, and Grovias) really still barely fit at 8 weeks and 11 lbs. The only one size that even fit her now are the Ecoposh fitteds I just started using for overnights last week.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I ha Charlie bananas and I liked the fit, they were pretty trim and I liked the leg fit. However, I used my pockets for overnight and with a heavy wetter they just didn't work well enough. I could not stuff them enough to be absorbent enough, even with hemp. We would always have leaks through the PUL. We switched to kawaii GNHW and haven't had any problems. I second pp to get both and sell what doesn't work. I have heard food things, but they just didn't work for us.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• And by food things I of course mean good things.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

edited December 2013

They just kinda fit funny. They are narrow but seem to bunch up weird on the sides. Also, if the insert sits all the way to the back it doesn't look right in front near the snaps. I am not sure why either, I have played with them a lot to get a better fit. The BG's are a better fit. My daughter is only 3.5 months and 13lbs so maybe as she gets bigger and the elastic rise is larger they will fit better?

imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

• My ENTIRE stash is Kawaii & love them! I'm currently using 25 P&N's and just ordered a bunch of Minky Bamboo diapers during their sale. I haven't had a single issue with any of the diapers- and I even put them in the dryer! I highly recommend Kawaii :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"