September 2013 Moms

Baby refusing the boob :(

Yesterday was my first day back at work and it went pretty well until I got home. DS has been taking bottles of breastmilk with no issues thus far. I came home during my lunch break and breastfed him and he did fine. When I came yesterday evening, he had been given a total of 3 bottles all day. I started to breastfeed him and he started screaming. I thought maybe it was gas and attempted to burp him, but was unsuccessful. I tried to breastfeed him again and he screamed so hard that he started turning blue. We battled Iike this for a few minutes before I gave in and had my fiancé give him a bottle. He was instantly better, and I was in tears. I was able to feed him successfully twice through out the night, but I think it was because he was so sleepy. This morning he started screaming again and after battling with him again I ended up having to bottle feed him. I feel very defeated. Has anyone been through this and if so, do you have any tips?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Baby refusing the boob :(

• I would recommend posting this on the breastfeeding board and taking to an lc. In my experience he cries when no milk is coming out (that was more common early on) and during/ following letdown bc it is too forceful for him.There ate a free solutions for that. i nurse him till letdown, then oil him off and collect the milk or absorb it (towel, burp cloth, etc.).
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • My daughter did this same thing this week. I read up on nursing strikes and figure she was doing our as a result of the traveling we did. Your LO might be doing it because of the change with your returning to work. From what I read, it could last a few days to weeks. DD was fine the next day, but then did it again 3 days later. Today, she's been fine again. Very frustrating and heart breaking. Good luck! Hang in there!
    Me:39 DH:41 Married since July 2002
    TTC since 2004 Severe MFI
    2011-12: 2 IUIs: BFN
    IVF December 2012- success!
    DD born 8/16/13 @ 37weeks

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine did this a little bit when I went back to work also. It only lasted two days tops. I didn't give him a bottle though when he was being difficult, not sure if that helped the situation or not. Just kept working with him until he latched and stayed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My LO does this if she has had a couple bottles beforehand. I normally try to soothe per with a passifier to calm her down and try again. I gave up one time and gave her a bottle because she would not calm down. I can't tell if it is coming too fast or slow for her, but I just assume she is expecting the flow of the bottle. She is normally back fine on the boob by the next feeding. Also she will not take boob if she gets super upset, so then I just calm her first.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"