Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Sick MIL

So MIL and FIL came to visit today.  Tonight after LO went to sleep, MIL started coughing a lot.  I asked if she had a cold, and she said yes.  I'm really irritated she's been holding LO all night while knowing she's sick.  Am I being irrational here?  I just don't want him sick.  Do you think it would be rude to ask her not to hold him, or has the damage been done?  LO is 3 months old.

Re: Sick MIL

• Options
    Yes I think it's unreasonable. Is he in daycare? A cold isn't something the workers would stay home for so it's something he will be exposed to a lot.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I think it was incredibly rude and irresponsible of her not to tell you she was sick. I don't get how people can be so selfish when it comes to other peoples babies. I would tell her sorry but you would be upset if LO got sick and not let her hold him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a cold.  Over the course of the winter, at least half of all people you come into contact with have a cold.  No one likes their kid sick but a cold really isn't a big deal.  I assume she didn't sneeze and cough all up in his face, right?

• Options
    I think it's rude she held him knowing she wasn't feeling well. Of course we all know our LO's will be exposed to colds and will get sick but if we have the opportunity to keep them away from someone that is sick, then I think we would all try to do that. I will ask people to not come over if they aren't feeling well. I know I can't keep my son in a bubble, but I can try to prevent him from getting sick as much as possible.
  • Options
    I'd be livid. Yes, it's just a cold and you can't protect him from the entire world each winter but it sucks knowing you could have simply protected LO from your super selfish sick mil. If my baby gets sick, it better not be because an extended family member knowingly gave it to him!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's incredibly rude and disrespectful of her. 

Yes it's just a cold but it's no fun to deal with a sick little one. I get that babies get sick, but most people are considerate enough to avoid spreading their colds with others, particularly babies. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would be irritated. Yes colds are common, but if your MIL knows she is sick there's no reason not to avoid holding LO to try to prevent getting him sick.

• Options
    I am pretty laid back about sickness but after having a kid with RSV last year and realizing she likely got it form someone who just had a cold I am a bit more protective with a little one.  Often RSV just looks like a cold in an adult but in an infant it can make them pretty sick. My daughter was just over a year when she had it and she was so miserable. 
  • Options
    Well, he was stuffed up by the time he woke up this morning.  Guess the damage is done.  He isn't coughing yet, which is good.  Hopefully he won't get too sick.

I know he'll get sick every once in awhile, but this is the first time.  He does go to daycare but it's in a lady's home and he's the only child besides her own two small ones so he really isn't exposed to too much.  I was just hoping to get him through this first year with as few illnesses as possible.  In the future I think I'll ask them before we see them if anyone's sick.  That way I can lay the ground rules before we see them.
  • Options
    I would be pissed. I once told my 7 year old neice she coykdnt hold the baby bc she was sniffling. She was upset but oh well. I didnt know why my sis in law would let her hold dd. Thrte is no reason to expose a newborn to germs if it can be helped.
  • Options
    I don't think you are overreacting at all. I would be upset too.

• Options
    Not with a cold they don't. Colds can last weeks. Your LO will go to daycare when they have a cold too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"