Breastfeeding
Options

Vitamin D ??

Hello! I've been reading a lot of things that mention vitamin D supplements for nursing babies. Ds is 12 days old and EBF so I called the dr and asked if I should be giving him the drops. Dr said not necessary and just put him by the window on occasion to get sunlight. I thought that was a strange answer...what do you think? Are you nursing mommas using the drops?

Re: Vitamin D ??

• Options
    I use the drops.  My doctor told me to use them.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    My doc told me to use the drops as well. She said babies would need hours of direct sunlight on bare skin daily to absorb enough Vit D. Also, I would think that the windowpane would block the beneficial rays. I ordered the Carlson drops from amazon. No weird ingredients.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told to start using the drops either at the 2 week or 2 month appointment.  At DS's 9 month checkup I was also told to start using iron drops, even though his iron levels were fine.  Does anyone also use iron drops?  If so, what brand?  Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started using the drops once it started getting dark so early and LO wasn't getting any natural sunlight.  If you've got enough sun to let your LO get vitamin D the "normal" way - I wouldn't bother with drops.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    My babies are preemies and I've been giving them polyvisol since they came home from the nicu. My ped said they will be on it until at least six months when I intro solids.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options

I take vitamin D supplements myself so that more will transfer through my milk

I was told vit d doesn't cross to breastmilk, that is why you have to suppliment Baby
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My LO was born in the spring and my Ped said 10 minutes of direct sunlight before 10am was all that was needed (I live in the south). It's now going into winter, and I don't know where you live, but sunlight is the natural source. Personally, I've never done the drops. My older kids are 13 & 15, and back then they didn't have this recommendation. So, I didn't give them to this new LO either.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    We used Carlson drops for LO and I took them myself too.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
    I never used them. No one even mentioned them to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We don't use the drops.  DS threw up violently every time we gave them to him.  We get him natural sunlight everyday and I take a vitamin with vitamin D in it.  The natural sunlight also helps keep him on a great sleep schedule.

Vitamin D is important - there is some speculation that low vitamin D may have some link to development of MS.  So it's important to make sure LO is getting enough but drops aren't the only way to do that.
  • Options
    I was given calcium supplements with vitamin d.
  • Options
    We used the vitamin d drops. We would just put it in his bottle when I was at work.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    I give DD sunlight. I'm not pro-giving vitamins if she can get it naturally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"