Breastfeeding

Please help low supply

acethebaseacethebase member
edited November 2013 in Breastfeeding
Ok I'm sorry if this has already been discussed and asked but I really need help so here it is: Is there really any way to increase a low supply? My mom keeps trying to tell me I've never really gotten my milk in because I never got really engorged and I don't leak at all. My sons first night home I gave in and gave him formula because after 3 hours of breastfeeding and him still acting like he was starving I didn't know what else to do, also my son wasn't latching right so the LC said he probably wasn't getting anything due to that. After that it was a struggle to get him to go back to breast so I pumped. I think max I've probably gotten about 6 oz a day in the beginning now I think I'm down to 4 or even 3 and a half. I've finally got him back to breast but after about 2 minutes he starts yanking, pulling and getting really agitated. At first I thought maybe he had to burp but nope, so it's because I don't produce that much. I forgot to add that I offer the breast before I supplement with formula just so you don't think I'm starving my child. So please help if you can ...... What can I do or is there really any way to increase my low supply?
ETA: My name is Asa and I'm a regular poster on October 13 board and my son is 5 weeks.

Re: Please help low supply

• It means nothing that you were never engorged or don't leak.

I'd suggest you read up on Kellymom.com about newborn nursing behavior and low supply. Even a very full baby can down a bottle after nursing- the bottle basically drips into their mouth. How much you pump also means nothing, it just means that's how much you can pump.

You need to see a lactation consultant who can help you in person and allay your fears. If you don't like the one you saw, find another one. Baby probably is used to the fast flowing bottle and is frustrated that you flow isn't fast enough - not that you don't have milk.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • So I just read some things on Kellymom which brings me to yet another question: what should I do when he keeps pulling himself off and getting irritated? He will continue to re-latch himself but then continues to forcibly pull himself off.
  • Loading the player...
  • So I just read some things on Kellymom which brings me to yet another question: what should I do when he keeps pulling himself off and getting irritated? He will continue to re-latch himself but then continues to forcibly pull himself off.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/fussy-while-nursing/#slow
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • SnoopyLuv said:

So I just read some things on Kellymom which brings me to yet another question: what should I do when he keeps pulling himself off and getting irritated? He will continue to re-latch himself but then continues to forcibly pull himself off.

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/fussy-while-nursing/#slow

Thank you so much!
  • just hang in there. we had issues in the beginning, after a lot of work and lots of mothers milk plus our guy is ebf and we have quite the freezer stash.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here is the link to the Kelly Mom page about increasing supply

What helped me increase supply was pumping for 30 minutes after each feeding for DS. I did it for three weeks. It was a lot of work, but worth it. 

Good luck, keep working on it and perhaps go back to the LC. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Hang in there. My boobs never got bigger than about a B cup, I did leak sometimes but DD ate all the time when she was a newborn. We're at 11 months now and she's still doing well BFing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"