August 2014 Moms

1st try worked, now 5 wks pregnant and facing phobia of vomiting

hi.  just found out this wk im pregnant, same week we bought our first house and 3 mths after we got married.  im excited and shocked but have one major problem: i grew up with a phobia of vomiting and now here i am one week away, potentially, from facing the one thing ive dreaded for decades.  now what? my doctor knows this and promised to give me every tip possible (incl zofran as a preventative) but the administrator in the office has yet to make me an appt with her (only a nurse at 8 weeks).  I guess i have two q's: when will the morning sickness officially start (next wk?) - im 5 wks pregnant - and what should i be doing to prevent this?  im very scared.

Re: 1st try worked, now 5 wks pregnant and facing phobia of vomiting

• Congrats but there's no telling when it will start or if it will. Everyone's different. I would get nausea with my dd's but never actually threw up.
    imageimage
    Emery January 1, 2010
    Alayna December 15, 2011
    Angel baby #1 December 1, 2013 4wks 2 days
    Angel baby #2 February 2, 2014 8 wks
    TTC on Hold
  • Thank you.  I just have to keep telling myself I'll get through this.  Man, I'm scared.  I didn't know that about Zofran side effects either.  I was going to go to the supermarket this wknd and stock up on things like ginger ale, lemons, ginger chews, pretzels, almonds, and ill just try and eat a little here and there.  Any other suggestions on foods that might help?  You know, ive only thrown up once since i was 11 and now im 33!  Sigh...
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never thrown up with any of my previous pregnancies, so it isn't something thay automatically always comes with pregnancy. I say don't worry about it until you have too. Good luck.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• I also hate throwing up with a passion. I can count on one hand the number of times I've thrown up in my life (that I was old enough to remember). With my first, I was nauseous all the time, but never threw up thankfully. My mom kept telling me to eat saltines, but I found that goldfish crackers did a wonderful job of staving off the queasy stomach. Just be careful with that though - I gained too much with my first because I ate to make the sick go away. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can only remember vomiting once and it was when I had such a high fever that I had to get IV fever reducer in ER and got dx of pneumonia. Whenever I had a stomach bug I would do anything I could to avoid throwing up. I haven't had any morning sickness yet, but I also have a strong aversion to vomiting (but for some reason have no problem dealing with kids vomiting or cleaning it up). The one thing I remember from the time I did vomit is that when it gets bad enough you don't have any control over it and it just happens, which makes it not as bad as you think before hand because by the time you realize its happening its almost over. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have been a little queazy so far and have found that eating small amounts frequently has helped. Advice from my mother in-law was that when you feel nautious, don't let your feet touch the ground until it goes away and to keep a flat white soda and saltines at the bedside. My mom's advice has been to drink camomile tea plain. I haven't tried this one but the saltines, soda, and leaning back has been helpful so far. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"