December 2013 Moms

sleepy baby/ wake to nurse

Aaron often wil sleep 3 hours before we wake him with a diaper change and then he eats. DD never needed waking. Does anyone else have to wake baby to eat? He eats fine and he has gained weight since birth but I'm kinda worried.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sleepy baby/ wake to nurse

• I had to do this with DD, as she lost a good amount of weight in the first week. The tips we were given were to undress a bit, or at least unswaddle -- if they're too warm it's harder to wake them up. Also tickling their feet/hands will stimulate them enough to eat. I know it seems counterproductive -- if they are sleeping, let them sleep! I'm hoping we don't have to really do that this time around.
  • I had to wake my first to eat. I think it's normal. I'd let him go 4 hours at night though unless there is a weight issue
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't wake him unless there was a weight issue. Even the first couple weeks.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Try skin to skin
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KateMW said:

I was always under the impression unless the doctor told you to, not to wake them to eat. I do not wake sleeping babies!

This is what I've always thought too. If they are gaining weight properly, let them sleep at night. My cousins baby came home from the hospital sleeping 6+ hours at night. And she was not told to wake him for a feeding. He didn't have any trouble, and he gained weight like he should.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My second baby we would have to constantly wake him up cuz he was lazy ( he still lazy and his 4) lol but I think it's normal .
  • Eston ALWYS needs to be woken up.. I think if I let him he'd sleep 4-5 hours. But even when I wake him( stripping him down to the diaper) he falls asleep while feeding. Not a great eater at all.. And we r having to finger feed:(
  • lp0lp0 member
    edited November 2013
    Cashingn2 said:

But she cluster feeds before bed do I wonder if that's why

@Cash DS used to cluster feed every half hour between 8pm -10:30 which was a PITA but then he would sttn until 6am (at 6 weeks old). I felt like it was a great trade off.

OP Honestly I would ask the ped but unless he/she said to wake the baby every 3 hrs I'd probably let the baby sleep and feed/change when they woke up crying.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• I was told with DD1 to wake so my breast milk supply would not be affected. But I was also not pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We don't wake Chloe to feed, but she has been waking every 2-3hrs on her own. She does, however, fall asleep at the breast all the time and stimulating her isn't working anymore. We eventually have to finger-feed her to get enough in.
  • This was NOT a problem with DS. He was the worst sleeper. This time I have a good sleeper on my hands....knock on wood this keeps up!!!. I am waking her at the 3.5 hour mark. After she gains some weight I won't anymore.

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• utlawgirlutlawgirl member
    edited November 2013
    We did with DD. She was super-sleepy at first and we'd even have to tickle her toes and pump her arms to keep her awake while nursing! We woke every 3 hours during the day, and let he go 4-hour stretches at night (though she was usually awake by then anyway). I think you're doing just fine!
      norathe girlsamelia
  • ScarlettVScarlettV member
    edited November 2013

KateMW said:

I was always under the impression unless the doctor told you to, not to wake them to eat. I do not wake sleeping babies!

This is what I've always thought too. If they are gaining weight properly, let them sleep at night. My cousins baby came home from the hospital sleeping 6+ hours at night. And she was not told to wake him for a feeding. He didn't have any trouble, and he gained weight like he should.
    Our OB (edit: I mean Pedi) and breastfeeding class said the opposite. They said never let them go longer than three hours at night or in general without feeding, so wake them if you need to. This is when they are newborns.

A lot of moms at the class stated they have to wake their babies to feed quite frequently.

• If he is up to birth weight and your Pedi didn't say anything about waking, I wouldn't worry. If you're feeling engorged, hand express. Just try and wait out the sleep. I have always been told that sleep begets sleep. Emma was this way. Once she regained her birth weight, we let her sleep all she wanted. I was always so nervous that she wouldn't sleep at night because she slept all day, but everyone told me that sleep begets sleep and that the more sleep during the day was better for good sleep at night. It was definitely true in her case. I would still call your pedi if you're curious. 

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • amberpro said:

I wouldn't wake him unless there was a weight issue. Even the first couple weeks.

This! I wouldn't wake them either unless there is a weight issue. Ask your pedi about it if you are concerned.
  • BootsOrHeartsBootsOrHearts member
    edited November 2013
    I have to wake Isaac up to eat, usually changing his diaper does the trick, he hates diaper changes. I'd say 2/3rds of the time I have to wake him at the 3 hour mark. But then, he's still itty bitty, not even 5 pounds yet so it could be partly because of his preemie status.

And FWIW, we're at the NICU and the policy is every 3 hours, he eats. Partly that's because the staff have to keep a schedule to stay organized and like @Cashingn2, late preterms are a bit different than full term babies. It's important that they gain weight.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• It's been a couple years since I had a newborn but DS did not need to be woken to since usually changing his diaper did the trick. However when he got a bit older I've def dream fed him.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • ScarlettV said:
    Our OB (edit: I mean Pedi) and breastfeeding class said the opposite. They said never let them go longer than three hours at night or in general without feeding, so wake them if you need to. This is when they are newborns. A lot of moms at the class stated they have to wake their babies to feed quite frequently.
    Same here. Lactation consultant at our hospital and our pedi told us DS should be eating every 2-3 hours, even at night -- but he was early, just over 37 weeks, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'd definitely ask your pedi, I think every baby is a little different.
    47a2d904b3127cce98548947cda500000030100AbsWLJi3bsWOA 

• I have this problem. I think my baby would sleep all day if I didn't wake her. The pediatrician said do not go over 4 hours without letting her eat. I've been waking her about every 3 1/2 and undressing her and making her mad so she will stay awake long enough to nurse. I'm hoping she has gained weight at her appointment on Wednesday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"