Pregnant after 35
Options

Cervix and dialation question

I am almost 36 weeks and had my last check up last week where my cervix was checked. My doctor said that my cervix was low (kind of surprised tone) and that I was a tiny bit effaced but no dilation.  After that, my husband and I had intercourse a couple nights afterwards and he swore he could feel something. I was confused so I washed my hands and put on gloves to see what he was talking about and sure enough my cervix felt super low and this time I felt a line like deal with an opening and I quickly got freaked out and realized I was starting to dilate. This is my first pregnancy so I’m not sure if my questions are silly but should I let my doctor know I am dilated? I get frequent contractions every day mostly irregular but am getting more and more “crampy” every day. Also, what does it mean when my cervix is low?  She said the baby’s head was resting on my pelvis and head down and that he can only go further down from here. She also felt his head. Will my cervix get even lower? Or will it stay as low as it is now?  I can’t find any threads about a low cervix. I just have a feeling I will go into labor early so I am really paying attention to my body and looking for some answers

Re: Cervix and dialation question

• Options
    I just turned 36 weeks yesterday, and consider myself far from an expert on the question that you asked.  First of all-my OB said that 37 weeks is considered full term, but they would not stop labor after 36 weeks.    You should be getting checked weekly, so I wouldn't think it necessary to call unless contractions become regular and/or you cannot speak or walk during contractions.  It is to my understanding that the uterus drops before birth-why everyone says that baby has dropped into pelvis.  There are stations -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, each being lower than it's predecessor.  I think that baby is crowning and you should be 10cm dilated at +2 station.  If you weren't as far along as you are, then calling your OB would be best.  But, I think that your in a safe zone-in that baby is fully developed, lungs mature and would do well as an outside baby.  I would not keep trying to feel your cervix to check dilation though-I would be worried about unintentionally rupturing membranes.  Hang in there, baby will come when he is ready.  I have also been closely watching thinking that I will deliver early, as I walk several miles each day and work in a profession where I am on my feet most of the day.  Hang in there, it will be time soon enough.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

First off ....no question is silly.  Ask away!  Like the other poster said I am no Dr. but having just had my son on Thursday I felt I could offer some insight.  The baby will start to become lower in your pelvis as you move closer to delivery.  That is typically normal.  Your cervix starts to thin out (efface) and dilate.  The dilation coupled with the thinning out and the station of the baby (where the baby is in relation to your spine)  are what leads to the end result of the baby being born.  In regards to the low cervix there were times towards the end when I was just downright uncomfortable because he was so low.  It was especially bad when I had a full bladder. If I really had to pee I could barely stand up straight it was crazy.

Just because you are starting to dilate sadly doesn't mean much because many women walk around dilated for weeks and no baby in sight.  Others never start to dilate until the day their labor starts.  I was 1 cm dilated and lost my mucous plug and was having the lovely "bloody show" for days and nothing was happening. 

I also agree with the other poster that self checking at this point really isn't a great idea.  I know I would have no idea what I am feeling for and at this point you could cause yourself and inadvertently your baby an infection or as the PP stated you could accidentally rupture your membranes.  Towards the end if you are only dilated a little and want to try to get things moving along they may offer to "sweep or strip" or membranes and that may or may not lead to contractions and labor being kick started. 

I swore I was going late again and little man decided to come on his due date,  You just never know.  Sadly this is the worst part because you just wait and wait and wait some more and you just never know when it is going to happen.

Good Luck to you :) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your body is doing what it is supposed to do in preparation for active labor.  Effacing (thinning out of the cervix) and Dilation is expected, normal, and a sign your body is doing what it is supposed to do.  I would encourage you to NOT examine your own cervix, your dr will either do a cervix check at your next apt or not but he/she knows you are preparing for labor.  You will know when you go into active labor- regular contractions increasing in strength and duration, etc.  Go over with your dr/care provider when they would like you to call/go in if you have not already.

Good luck!  I delivered all of my boys between 36 and 37 wks and they were All healthy, no nicu time, etc! 

• Options
    The only thing I could possibly add to the above, which is all great info, is that even once you start to dilate it is not a steady slope or anything. You could dilate to maybe 1cm and stay there for weeks; someone else could dilate to 1 cm, then 2, 3, etc. Beginning to dilate is what's supposed to happen, but also there is no set timeline for birth once that begins. That is why it gets checked regularly. Try not to worry; you should be in a relatively "safe" zone at this point and things will progress how they want to, not much you can do about it other than to enjoy your remaining baby-free time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At 36 weeks I was 1.5-2 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  I've been walking around like that ever since. Actually, at my appointment on Tuesday I was a solid 2 cm and a little more effaced.  Lots of mamas walk around dilated for a long time. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"