Babies on the Brain

STMs

I am looking for some perspective from mothers who have 2 children or more.

DS is 3 months old and he is our first child. DH and I are already considering TTC again (possibly sometime in the next year or two). How close are your children in age ? Do you wish they were closer together in age or the opposite? Other than the obvious what would you say is the biggest change transitioning from 1 child to 2 (or more)?

Re: STMs

• My kids are 2.5 years apart. I almost wish they were further apart. I would wait until your DS is more self sufficient. Imagine being 9 months pregnant and having to carry around a 20 pound 1 year old that can't walk yet. For me, going from 1 to 2 was much harder than from none to 1. You have to split your attention. When you've been up all night with the baby you can't just sleep with the baby naps because you have to care for another kiddo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found out I was pregnant with DD2 about a week before DD1 turned 2. I love the spacing! Now that they are getting older (4 & 17 months) I have really noticed what a great bond they have.

The hardest part for me was the guilt of feeling like I wasn't giving more time to DD1. DD2 was very colicky and had reflux and mspi issues. However as DD2 has gotten older she is far less demanding and I don't carry that guilt. Now I am just exhausted because they always seem to want to run opposite directions.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2013
    My kids are 12.5 months apart. I would not space them any further apart. I liked getting pregnancy/newborn phase/diapers out of the way all at once vs getting removed from that stage to start all over again. I took daily naps during my second pregnancy and got naps in the newborn stage as my oldest was still napping twice a day so I felt well rested which I think made that pregnancy easier than my first. My son experienced no jealousy towards his sibling and they get along great. We have one set of toys out since they have the same interests--never worrying about the baby getting into their older siblings toys with lots of small pieces.
    I was out with a friend whose in her third trimester now and she has a little girl my sons age. She needs socialization, she's impulsive and runs off, etc and my friend has constantly chase her. People seem to say bigger gaps are easier but I don't know if I agree. I was glad When i felt like crap i could park my butt on the couch in 3rd tri with a kid who was content to hang out playing with toys vs keeping up with keeping a preschooler busy schedule. I think if I had the choice I'd do under two years or over five years when your oldest goes to school so you get time to rest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first 2 are 16 months apart and my 3rd came 18 months after that.
    I wouldn't have it any other way. It is hectic and crazy and people give me a look of either bewilderment or endearment when I am out with all 3 but it works for us.
    We had planned on having a big family(4-6kids) before medical issues and my husband is 8 years older than me so we figured we'd just hurry up and have them so we could enjoy raising them.
    Some days its nuts but right now my 4 1/2 and 3 year old are snuggled in a recliner having breakfast talking about how they are best friends and our 1 1/2 year old is still sleeping. They all play together really well and the older they get the easier it is.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My daughter is 7 and my twin boys are 15 months. Ideally I'd have liked them to be 3 or 4 years apart but I had DD young and them ended up with a two for.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Initially our plan was to have our girls 5 years apart....not 5 seconds.
    Don't get me wrong, I love them SO much and they are bundles of fun (and quite easy to say the least), but I really feel like I missed out sometimes. I never get a whole lot of 1 on 1 time with them and I feel like since they are both at that age where they are 100% dependent on me, I can't really get to know them individually. And someone is always interrupting me.

I would have loved to spend 3 or so years just playing and getting to know my LO before adding another addition. And not only will they be more independent when the new LO comes around, but 3-5 years is still very close in age. They'll spend more of their lifetime as adults and when you're 24+ a 2-5 year age gap doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Think long term too, will you be financially capable of helping pay for two colleges with only a year of space between the kids? How about cars, vacations, band trips etc.
    Do you think you'll enjoy having to possibly skip one child's school activity to go to the others?

All things to think about. This is why my H and I decided to wait between kids. Apparently the man upstairs had different plans for us haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our LOs are 25 months apart. We are very happy with the spacing. My theory is that it all depends on your child(ren)'s personality. LO 1 is VERY active, loud, and crazy; while LO 2 is much more quiet and relaxed. You never know what your baby's personality will be like so you just have to go for it and try not to overanalyze the spacing issue. trust me, I know, it's hard not to overthink it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"