Georgia Babies

Children and Weddings

This post is more of a vent than anything else.  I'm not pregnant either.  LOL!

So, my cousin is getting married next July and he is my "favorite" cousin that I grew up with.  He is getting discharged from the military and marrying a nice girl in a prominent Buckhead family.  Their wedding will more than likely be the fanciest and most well attended by society than any I will ever go to ever.  I do not want to miss this wedding.  My aunt informed me that children would more than likely not be welcome at the wedding.  I understand this - to a point.  I don't have unlimited childcare options and half my options are attending the wedding (my children will be 4 and 6).  My mother in law and father in law are not in the best health and I don't really want to put this on them.  I am working on some options but it may be taking the kids may be the only viable option.  I just do not understand why kids are not welcome at weddings - which are family affairs.  Period.  I don't really want to take them and I am not being contradictory in saying so.  Of course I would prefer a romantic getaway for two over corralling my kids all weekend but I want to see my cousin get married over all else.  Here is why this policy is rubbing me the wrong way.  First, I have never seen a kid ruin a wedding ever.  Adults ruin weddings (routinely) and you cannot guarantee the behavior of any human all the time.  Kids misbehavior is usually written off as - they are kids and their parents are handling it.  Adults usually end up causing a massive scene or worse when they get out of hand particularly when drinking is involved.  Most kids are barely noticed at weddings and generally only make their parents miserable because they aren't as able to let loose.  So what gives?  Second, my family has tolerated and included children at every single previous wedding without exception.  Third, my cousins (his sisters) both have or will have children - one of which will be a newborn.. Are they bringing them?  Are they being forced to leave their baby?  Ridiculous.  And also note that my six year old niece is his goddaughter.  My sister did this tremendous honor of making him a godfather.  So is he excluding her too?  I would understand if it is the facility policy but I doubt it since the reception is in a barn facility.  Its definitely not a financial concern in this case.

I feel like this is a sweet reasonable girl and I am hoping she will not draw a hard line on this.  I understand fully that if I do bring my kids they will need to be on better than best behavior or else.

And by the way I think that the "My Day My Way" policy smacks of bridezilla and ungraciousness so you can comment with that but I think its impolite and breeds unnecessary (long lasting) hostility - particularly with family.  People never forget how you made them feel - especially on your wedding day and I think brides tend to take too wide a berth and forget this.  Excluding guests or making them uncomfortable because of children issues they cannot control is rude.  Hostesses have the responsibility of making guests feel welcome.  And most importantly there will come a day when they will want/need some understanding due to their childcare issues.

Re: Children and Weddings

• We just had our kids at my brother in laws wedding and they did better then expected. To me, the reception is a no brainer. I mean, usually, no one even notices the kids and if anything, they are entertaining to the guests. I can understand not wanting a kid crying during your wedding ceremony, but my plan was to just step outside with Cason or Oliver if either of them started acting crazy. I didn't have to though. I don't see any reason why she would have an issue with it, especially if you talk to your cousin and let him know that you will be monitoring behavior during the wedding and can take one or both of them out if needed. That said, I would think a 4 and a 6 year old would be capable of behaving just fine during the ceremony.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you.  That is how I feel exactly.  And this girl is so nice that this is not a reflection on her.  If anything I think the adults in my family are egging this on versus coming from her herself.  I plan to not bring them but I don't want to feel I will miss seeing him get married if I have no options.  It would make me so sad.
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you having to travel for the wedding? 
  • Actually, I'm in the camp that says no kids at weddings and I don't think this is bridezilla-ish at all.  It's their day and if they are spending that much money, they make the rules.  In fact, I probably would have discouraged kids at my own wedding but considering that my niece was the youngest at the time at 5 yrs old and my flower girl, it wasn't really an issue.  For me personally, I enjoy going to weddings (especially FANCY ones ;-) and I know I do not want to be on guard the entire time making sure that my kids are on best behavior.  We have had to take the kids to multiple weddings because the bride/groom asked that they attend and I honestly hated every single second.  The kids were really well behaved and everyone thoroughly enjoyed seeing them (and watching them on the dance floor- ha!) but it was just draining for me and DH to make sure they didn't spill anything, trip anyone, get too close to the buffet/cake, talk during toasts, etc.  It sounds like they've given you plenty of notice so you can find a sitter so I think it would be pretty tacky to bring the kids.  Personally, I would find someone through care.com or church or whatever now so that you can do a few practice date nights ahead of time (bonus!).  Or just not go at all.  

• While I totally understand that it is a PITA to have to find childcare, I support your cousin & his bride in their decision on this one.  We had a no kids policy at our wedding, the one exception being the 4 kids who were actually in the wedding (my nieces/nephews).  It was my day. I didn't want kids there.  That was my right.  

I have two kids now and still support that decision. It doesn't matter if your kids will behave, or you won't be able to attend without them, etc. It is the bride & groom's decision, and you have to respect it. Trying to sneak your kids in or guilt them into letting you bring them is beyond tacky, IMO.

Now, if you truly have no other options, I think it is fair to say to them something along the lines of "unfortunately we don't have any childcare available, do you have any suggestions for childcare options for us?  If we can't find any that we are comfortable with, we unfortunately won't be able to make it" and then see if they respond with an exception for you (or perhaps the name of a great babysitter).  But if they don't, you have to respect that and follow their wishes. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I see what you are saying but it costs a fortune to hire an overnight sitter.  It also costs a fortune to hire a sitter for a date night just for the sake of practicing.  I stay home with my kids and they are not accustomed to staying with strangers anyway.  Maybe its fine for kids who do that all the time.  I disagree with you in that I feel like family should be respected over "My Day My Way". Blood is thicker than water.  I have never known a bride to truly stick to their no kids guns because its unfair to their guests and ultimately they would rather have their loved one there like reasonable people.  I have made arrangements with some family members because I want to try to do it her way and not be a bother.  But in all honesty my feelings are hurt to think that my kids are unwanted.
  • And another thing, before we buy the first outfit or eat the first meal or even pull up to the gas pump the cost of hotel plus care.com sitters to attend this wedding would approach $1000.  Um, so that pricetag is pretty hefty compared to my $30/head din din.  Surely no bride expects family guests to cough up that just to be there for them plus a gift.  People really need to think about what they are asking of others sometimes.

And really
  • I was going to say that in my wedding my flower girls made a scene - albeit cute - and well I barely noticed until I saw the video.  I only had eyes and attention for my groom.  And another adult (ahem MIL) messed up my day.  Too bad its only kids you can ban with any sort of decorum apparently.
  • Eh, I don't think this is a fight worth fighting.  If you push to bring the kids then she'll hold some kind of grudge and it will turn into an ordeal.  Deal with what she asks. 
    We had a similar situation a few years ago and we traveled for a wedding had to pay for a hotel and everything.  I wound up sitting in the hotel room with L while DH enjoyed the wedding.  It sucked.   I pushed to bring L and the bride has held a grudge since and it became this stupid drama.  It's just not worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm all for kids being at weddings and unless I'm told otherwise, take Abigail to them, even two that have been in Spain. But if it's the bride and grooms desire to not have children, I say take advantage and make it a nice getaway with your hubby. You have time to line childcare up for the kids.

I'll be honest, we went to a wedding in May and kids weren't allowed, and it was kind of nice it being just DH and I. I was pregnant, so I couldn't drink, but it was nice not having to keep up with a little person the whole night and just be able to relax.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • edited November 2013
    I think they are giving you plenty of notice to make some arrangements.  I think once you start inviting one person's kids then you have to invite everyone's kids unless they are in the wedding.   had a cousin traveling with his 2 year old the weekend of my wedding.  They contacted me to ask whether they could bring her or whether I could help with childcare.  I arranged for a babysitter to come to their hotel room and watch their daughter during the wedding.  It was a babysitter recommended by a coworker.  Perhaps you could ask about that.  

I also think this high society wedding will cost more than 30/head.  I don't think the bride and groom are asking anything of anyone, they are inviting people they care about to their wedding, it's not mandatory.  When you travel to a wedding it's because the people are important to you and you don't compare how much they are spending to what you are spending.  

I also don't understand "I stay home with my kids and they are not accustomed to staying with strangers anyway.  Maybe its fine for kids who do that all the time."  I don't know any kids that stay with strangers all the time.  A caregiver is only a stranger the first time you use them.  
  • You heard from your Aunt (I assume your cousin's mother) that kids won't be invited?  I'd speak to the groom directly (I'm also assuming you have a close enough relationship since you mentioned godkids and all).  Just ask him you heard kids would not be invited, and you wanted to confirm.  If that is the case, then I agree about asking him for childcare suggestions as it will be difficult for you, and tell him you may not be able to attend because of the restriction.  It sucks, but it's their choice.  You don't have to go.

My father's cousin had a "no kids" policy at her wedding.  This included my brother and I (who were 13 & 15 at the time).  My parents still haven't gotten over it.  It's not like we were young kids that needed to be looked after.
  • I definitely understand because we have two little ones and it is hard getting a babysitter.  Just ask politiely and go from there. You really have plenty time to ask friends to help out on coverage.  The other option is that you go by yourself and your husband stay with the kids. I would not make a battle over this because clearly it is their day and if the desire no kids you do not have to like it but just respect it and move on.
  • I don't mind a "no kids" policy, but personally I think it would be appropriate for them to provide childcare for out of town guest at least during the ceremony.  If you aren't willing to find a sitter for the kids, you could always leave after the wedding and skip the reception.

I will say one of most Bridezilla-ish moments I've ever seen involved the Bride raising hell about not wanting her ring-barer and flower girls to come to the reception.  Those poor kids, you know all they wanted was to dance and eat cake, LOL.

Vent away, but honestly you have plenty of time to make plans.  Go with your husband and enjoy a kid free weekend!  
  • We did not have kids at our wedding, except those that were in the wedding and 1 friend her brought her brand new newborn. Maybe I was a bride-zilla, but that is what we wanted for our wedding. I am sorry that you are so upset by their decision. If it bothers you that much, you can choose not to go (which I understand you don't want to do either). I know when I go to a wedding, I would much prefer to go alone without the kids for an adult night!

• While I personally wouldn't go the "no kids" route, it is their event and you are not obligated to go. I'm sorry it makes the whole decision so much more difficult, though. I hope you can find a way to talk to them about your situation.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• UPDATE (for now...):

Well, the good news is I have confirmation of help from my ILs family and I am really excited about a romantic wedding weekend where I am not obligated by wedding party duties and I am not pregnant.  But I still have a scared feeling that somebody will fall through and things will go haywire as things are wont to do with kids but I guess that is every live long day.  Like how I spent my Thanksgiving hosting thirteen family members and nursing my kids through the croup.

Bad news is now apparently I feel like I am just making drama trouble over this which is unintended.  I just wanted everyone to understand my "side" but I guess when it comes to weddings there is only one "side".  Unfortunately.  But truth be told that there are family members who agree with me and those who don't but with the approaching holidays I want to smooth it over for good.  It would have been fun to show off my kids to family I never get to see but oh well.  They miss out because my kids are awesome.  :)

I guess I feel like I just went to a wedding where there was (IMO) completely unnecessary  family drama trouble over kids and well, I thought it was a stupid issue to spend anybody's time on.  It was almost as if the bride could not just enjoy the fact that everything was pretty much perfect and she chose to focus on a child issue that was not an issue.  If a parent will bring (has to bring) their kid and control them themselves I don't see a problem.  Angry brides are not attractive when there is really no one doing anything wrong.

And how this will play out is I may forever be the tiniest bit sore that my kids (and other children) were not invited and the other affected parties will forever be sore that I even dared to raise the issue in the first place.  Yay families.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"