December 2013 Moms
Options

Diaper Bags....Yay or Nay?

As a FTM I'm wondering if I can get by with a messenger bag instead, maybe even just a large purse I have. The diaper bags I've seen are just too.... Ugly and huge!! They're also pricey. STM's are all those little pockets necessary?

Re: Diaper Bags....Yay or Nay?

• Options
    I'm a FTM, but I chose to get a diaper bag. I've got a skip hop duo, not terribly big, but big enough. The pockets are handy and the waterproof aspect is key. That being said, try out a messenger bag and if it works, great. If not, buy a diaper bag and give that a go. You won't know what works until you try it out
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is my 4th baby and I bought a diaper bag. I have had one with each of my children. My first two were bottle fed so a diaper bag was a must have. I needed to be able to bring bottles with me when we left the house. My youngest was breast fed and all though I had a diaper bag I rarely used it. I just didn't need such a big bag for the few things I needed when we left the house. I would often through a diaper and travel container of wipes in my purse if we were just running to the grocery store or the park.

My youngest is 19 months so I still need to bring diapers when we go out. I'm sure I'll get more use out of it this time.

It wouldn't hurt to use a large purse at the beginning and if you need more space you can always get a diaper bag after.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Habrsk87Habrsk87 member
    edited November 2013
    I breast fed as well but I used my diaper bag a lot! You want to have diapers, wipes, spare clothes I packed 2-3 spares, diaper rash cream and my nursing cover and wrap/baby carrier. When baby gets older you may want to have baby Tylenol, snacks for baby, and toys on hand too. I used my diaper bag as a purse with the little pockets to carry my phone and wallet too. I got a very cute ju ju be diaper bag.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    FTM, so I don't have experience, but I briefly considered skipping the diaper bag before finally just getting the Skip Hop Duo. I decided I don't want to sacrifice any of my purses, and I wanted something that DH could grab, too, and maintaining 2 bags sounds annoying to me. The bag we got isn't any larger than a messenger bag (in fact it's smaller) and not much more expensive.
  • Options
    Although right now I still only have one kid, I think diaper bags are a necessity. I am on my third one because what I thought I wanted when I was pregnant was not what I wanted when I had the kid! First was a Skip Hop. Good function, but not quality materials in my opinion. Next was a J.J. Cole, which I loved, but the more pregnant I got the more I needed something that was convertable to a backpack. I tried using a "regular" backpack that I already had, but it just wasn't cutting it. Now I have a petunia pickle bottom backpack and wish that I would have had that one from the start! So worth the money for us. Even my husband likes it.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and I got the "gray classic mom diaper bag" from pottery barn. Obviously I haven't used it yet but i
    Wanted something with a lot of compartments and pockets, which this has. I'm going back to work and I will be taking LO to a couple different places throughout the week, so we will need the room for clothes, bottles, toys etc. I plan on putting a wrislet type thing inside to keep my stuff in it too that way ill only we carrying around 1 thing.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and I got the "gray classic mom diaper bag" from pottery barn. Obviously I haven't used it yet but i
    Wanted something with a lot of compartments and pockets, which this has. I'm going back to work and I will be taking LO to a couple different places throughout the week, so we will need the room for clothes, bottles, toys etc. I plan on putting a wrislet type thing inside to keep my stuff in it too that way ill only we carrying around 1 thing.
  • Options
    Yes, at the beginning, they are necessary IMO. You need more than you think and it's a pain to try and put it all in an already full purse. I just throw my wallet in my diaper bag. I'm actually using a purse {Goyard St. Louis tote, similar to the LV Neverfull} as my diaper bag, but that's all it will be. I have one small pouch in there for my stuff {lip gloss, chapstick, keys, etc.} and my wallet.
  • Options
    I can't imagine going with out my diaper bag. You can try another bag, but I don't think a big purse would be big enough and a messenger bage might be to complicated to find things.
  • Options
    Diaper bag is essential. I honestly DGAF how cute it looks, just so long as it fits everything I need in an easily accessible way.
    Married: 6/16/12
    CP: 01/2011 |  MMC: 01/2012  |  MMC: 10/2012  |  DS: 11/2013  |  MMC: 11/2014  |  DD: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/2018 - EDD: 02/09/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"