Cloth Diapering

Buying Overnight Diapers Before DS is Born?

I have a pretty well rounded stash now, I think, except I don't know if I should add anything to it for overnight.  I have a mixture of prefolds, flats, pockets, and a couple AIOs for my OS stash.  I'm thinking about what I need to budget/buy in the next month or two and I don't know whether to get some doublers, bamboo flats, or fitteds, (or all of the above) or wait until he is here and see if we need to get anything additional.  I know everyone has different overnight solutions, though!  I'd like to get some nice fitteds eventually, but I don't know about just jumping in and buying 4 of the same kind all at once (in case we don't like them and for financial reasons).

When did you start needing more absorbency overnight? And do you think I'd be able to make something work with what I have if I realize I need to get something ordered for him, or is any combo I can make from what I have will be too bulky that it will leak?  TIA!

Re: Buying Overnight Diapers Before DS is Born?

• G is a heavy wetter.  He slept a 6-8 hour stretch starting around 2 months old, and was fine with an AppleCheeks pocket and one bamboo insert until around 4 months when we went to two inserts.  But then he figured out how to flip onto his tummy, and that's when we started needing fitteds at night.  Now at 14 months we use fitteds or a tri-folded prefold with a doubler added. 

Honestly I think you could use a two prefolds, two flats, or one of each in a pinch if you have  generously sized cover or pocket to use over them.  Even if you end up with a tummy sleeper, prefolds don't wick like MF does so really that's a pretty good solution.  You might need a wool cover or a Blueberry coverall to fit over the bulk though. 

Of course, buying more diapers is always a good solution too though! :D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I would say get some hemp inserts. Those are good to have on hand anyways. For my daughter she was fine with a regular BG insert and a hemp one for 12 hours. My son though was leaking out of them by 3 months. So we use fitteds and wool. It all depends really.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly I would wait and see. You can always use pfs or flats or something. Wait and see if you even have a heavy wetter. E holds it all night so we didn't even need ON dipes till she was 1, and only because of the deluge when she wakes up.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I would say get some hemp inserts. Those are good to have on hand anyways. For my daughter she was fine with a regular BG insert and a hemp one for 12 hours. My son though was leaking out of them by 3 months. So we use fitteds and wool. It all depends really.
    Do you have certain hemp inserts you like best?
  • shan417 said:

I would say get some hemp inserts. Those are good to have on hand anyways. For my daughter she was fine with a regular BG insert and a hemp one for 12 hours. My son though was leaking out of them by 3 months. So we use fitteds and wool. It all depends really.

I use Thirsties and Joey Bunz.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • shan417 said:
    I would say get some hemp inserts. Those are good to have on hand anyways. For my daughter she was fine with a regular BG insert and a hemp one for 12 hours. My son though was leaking out of them by 3 months. So we use fitteds and wool. It all depends really.
    I like GMD hemp doublers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"