April 2013 Moms

Eventful night (allergic reaction :-( )

edited November 2013 in April 2013 Moms
Well, it's been an eventful night over here.

Firstly, Rhys finally got his first tooth! It has JUST broken through... I discovered it at dinner!

Second of all, he had an allergic reaction :-( We gave him salmon and green beans for dinner. I looked over and noticed his face looked weird. We took him out of the high chair and he had big red welts on his face, particularly around his mouth and one over his eye. So of course I was panicking and called the nurse's line at our hospital. It took 30 minutes for the nurse to call me back, and when she did, the welts had gone down a LOT so luckily she said we didn't need to go to the emergency room.

But... now I'm scared to put him to bed! Anyone ever have this happen before? Was everything fine after the initial reaction?
Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
Rhys - born 04.17.2013
Harry - born 04.18.2016

Re: Eventful night (allergic reaction :-( )

• Holy crap! I hope he remains ok. How scary!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No experience! But that is super scary! Hope everything is ok with him.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would watch him the rest of the night if I was in your position. Chances are the worst happened and is over with, but I am too much of a worry wart with allergies and what not. I hope he stays better. 

• My first LO has allergies, and this sounds like a typical reaction. I would put him to bed and check on him periodically.

So sorry this happened.
  • Oh no! I'm sure it was scary. I hope he's ok and you're both able to sleep tonight.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Poor guy (and parents!!). Keep us posted.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aw poor thing!  I am so scared of this happening.  I think the worst should be behind you now, but I'd still be up checking several times during the night. Hope he stays okay!
  • No experience but t&p to you guys! Hope everything is okay!
  • No advice but I hope everything goes well!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Scary!!! Hope the night passes without incident. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• How scary! Keep your eyes on little guy!I hope you figure out exactly what exactly causes this.

• How scary! I agree with PPs, the worst is probably over. We had a similar incident with DD1 with blueberries and it's definitely frightening. Once the welts calmed down she was fine. Hopefully Rhys is the same way!

• edited November 2013
    Thanks everyone!  The nurse we spoke with said to just discuss it with our doctor at his next appointment. He was eating salmon that had lemon juice, butter, and oregano on it. I honestly am not sure if he has had butter before, but I feel like he MUST have... because we have given him veggies at restaurants and stuff like that.He has also had lemons several times before (he actually likes to suck on them). It could have been the oregano or the fish. It almost seemed like a contact allergy because as soon as I washed it off his face, the hives went down almost immediately. I checked on him a few times overnight (after holding him until like midnight because I was scared to put him down) and he is 100% normal today. It's scary! Cece, the nurse said no benedryl because the reaction was going down on its own and he is so young. 

@kelsea1031 Did you have to avoid blueberries for a long time? Did your child outgrow the allergy?
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Glad he's okay! That must have been so scary.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am glad Rhys is better. Fish allergies are not uncommon so I would suspect the salmon first.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • @pinottoparenthood - She's only gotten a taste of them once since then (by way of a well-intentioned toddler friend) and she had another reaction but it was not nearly as severe as the first time. It's scary because it can go either way, get better or get worse. I have severe fish and shellfish allergies and they've only gotten worse over the years.

• Oh my how scary. I'm so glad he is better. H
  • @pinottoparenthood - She's only gotten a taste of them once since then (by way of a well-intentioned toddler friend) and she had another reaction but it was not nearly as severe as the first time. It's scary because it can go either way, get better or get worse. I have severe fish and shellfish allergies and they've only gotten worse over the years.

Ughhh this makes me sad :-( I don't want him to be allergic to fish!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Just a question, are you and your husband or family members allergic to any types of food?

• Just a question, are you and your husband or family members allergic to any types of food?

No, no food allergies at all in either of our families! That's why I haven't been nervous to give him anything and everything... But now I'm more apprehensive.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • :(
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • Fish is pretty much the only high allergy food we haven't tried yet. Now I'm definitely a little more nervous to introduce it.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • edited November 2013
    Fish is pretty much the only high allergy food we haven't tried yet. Now I'm definitely a little more nervous to introduce it.
    We haven't done nuts yet either so now I'm scared about that! But if it's any consolation, he is totally fine now. He had the welts in his face which started going down as soon as I washed his face, and he was back to normal within hours.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I tried putting a little peanut butter on Will's cheek a few days before I let him taste it. He didn't have a contact reaction so I got brave and gave him a taste of it a few days later. I've heard if they're severely allergic they will have a contact reaction too. Maybe that will help to give you a little peace of mind when trying nuts with Rhys. Oh, and congrats on the tooth!
  • arschm02 said:
    I tried putting a little peanut butter on Will's cheek a few days before I let him taste it. He didn't have a contact reaction so I got brave and gave him a taste of it a few days later. I've heard if they're severely allergic they will have a contact reaction too. Maybe that will help to give you a little peace of mind when trying nuts with Rhys. Oh, and congrats on the tooth!
    Thanks! Good idea!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"