June 2013 Moms
Options

Sleep positions

The post below about face sleeping got me to thinking about how LO's are being put down to sleep these days.

My LO is not sleeping well on his back. He kicks at the air with his feet and fights with his hands. He just has a hard time settling. I think he would do better on his belly, but I keep putting him down on his back because it's what is recommended. He's had a few supervised naps on his belly and does much better.

He can roll from belly to back, but he's never rolled from back to belly. So he's never put himself on his tummy to sleep. He can lift his head really high while on his belly too and turn from side to side.

What are you guys doing? Anyone putting LO to sleep on tummy? Do I just wait it out until he puts himself in that position?

Re: Sleep positions

• Options
    The SIDS rules are to put them on their backs to sleep, but if they roll over on their own, you can leave them. That's what we always do and P almost immediately rolls all the way over or to his side. Have to lay him against one side so he has room to roll. :-)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I put A down on her back and she rolls over at some point in the night and sleeps on her stomach. I don't worry about it anymore.
  • Options
    LO has been sleeping on his belly for a month now. This may be more of a FFFC, but I put him on his belly before he was rolling onto it on his own. Like you, I noticed he was more comfortable and settled more easily that way. He had and has great neck control. He is not exposed to any other SIDS risk factors (such as overdressing or smoking in the home), so we made the executive decision.

Here's a link by Dr. Sears: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/sleep-problems/sids/prefers-sleep-tummy
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think I'll wait a few more weeks and see if he puts himself on his belly naturally. I think he will.
  • Options
    34blondie said:

M hates being on his belly unless he's holding himself up so I luckily haven't had this sleep dilema yet. I do also use the magic sleepsuit at night and for one of his naps, which keeps him both sleeping and on his back.

+1 exactly
  • Options
    We put N on her back and she immediately rolls to her side. About 75% of the time she rolls to her belly. We let her stay there. She hasn't figured out how to roll tummy to back yet but has really great neck and arm strength. Although I've heard tales from both grandmothers this week that she rolled tummy to back when I wasn't around. I'll believe it when I see it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    K sleeps on his tummy and has for about a month. He does not roll over very well yet but he does move and hold his head up well. He would just scream in the crib while on his back and once we flipped him over he actually started sleeping more than 30 min chunks. He has good neck control so I'm not concerned anymore like I was the first few nights. I know it is not what you are supposed to do but it is the only way he will actually get better rest at night.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LBeez13 said:

K sleeps on his tummy and has for about a month. He does not roll over very well yet but he does move and hold his head up well. He would just scream in the crib while on his back and once we flipped him over he actually started sleeping more than 30 min chunks. He has good neck control so I'm not concerned anymore like I was the first few nights. I know it is not what you are supposed to do but it is the only way he will actually get better rest at night.

This is just like my LO. I feel like he's not getting good rest either. He made it for 2 hours in the crib last night before he woke up and wouldn't go back down in it. Then we moved him into the rock and play and eventually into bed with us.

I think he'll sleep better on his tummy. I'm just going to wait it out a little longer to see if he puts himself that way.
  • Options
    VASC said:
    On back with the Magic Sleep Sack. She will roll over and not be able to get back on her back otherwise. She's never slept on her tummy.

This. Before LO could roll to his belly he'd sleep almost exclusively on his side. Once he started rolling, he can't help but roll himself onto his belly and then he gets upset so magic sleep suit it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"