January 2014 Moms

MIL with belk card with someone else s name?

Background story: my sil is going to the belk black friday thing. MIL wanted her to pick something up for her. So MIL hands SIL a belk card WITH SILs NAME ON IT! MIL said it was from 6years ago when SIL picked up something for MIL and that belk said SIL had to have one. Now SIL is not MILs child. And I know that I have used both my moms and MILs card to pick up stuff without my name on the account.

But even if that is true, why didn't MIL give the card to SIL or cut it up? And it has been in your wallet for 6 years?! SIL has never had nor wanted a credit card.

MIL also has a history of taking things. Like I left some maternity clothes there for SIL to pick up. MIL just kept them and told SIL she didnt need them. Hello, she was pregnant, she DID need them. Also she kept a bag of $8 a piece bows that a cousin dropped off that SIL had paid her for. Things like that happen all the f-in time.

My question: does belk allow people to put others on their account without the other persons knowledge? And then issue them a seperate card? And is that person then responsible for said account?

Sorry for the long post and if I am not being clear. I am just so mad for SIL!

Re: MIL with belk card with someone else s name?

• peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited November 2013
    I don't know what belk is, so this entire post confused me. Is it the name of a store? I'll go check Google.

But yeah, that's super weird.

ETA: Ok, yes. It's a store. Just one I'd never heard of.
  • I've never heard of belk either?? I'm assuming its like a Costco store that needs a membership card?

Did you confront your MIL for still having the card? In my opinion, someone with a problem like hers needs to know that other people notice that she "steals" so she doesn't think she's getting away with these things.

If SIL still keeps in touch you should mention it to her.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's odd. I'd think that the bank issuing Belk (we have them where I live) store cards would have a validation process so that people aren't just added to the account. If I were your SIL I wouldn't return the card and call the bank to have her removed as an authorized user. I don't care if its family or not, no one is mooching off my credit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lolinshaglolinshag member
    edited November 2013
    SIL just told me about it 10 mins ago. Belk is like JCPenny, Sears, etc. Not a membership card, a belk store Credit Card.

SIL is going to belk to talk to someone in the morning. She didn't want to say anything until she had more info and had calmed down.

MIL seems to think that because her sons "make good money" she can do/take/ask for whatever she wants. She also only seems to do it with BIL/SIL because DH and I do call her out on her crazy shit.

ETA: SIL will not be returning the card. I will also be calling belk to make sure my name is not on any account.
  • Eh, my mom got an Old Navy card when we were in school and they asked her if she needed anyone else to be authorized for purchase. Like a family plan. So they printed cards with my name and my sisters name. They were all linked to her account/her social/etc.. So it could have been similar with your MIL.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • It could be a misunderstanding, although a large percentage of identity theft happens between family members. And from what you said, it sounds like your MIL has no problem stealing from family. Not sure why she'd just hand SIL the card though if it was obtained illegally.

Whatever ends up being the story, it's very weird.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• She has had a card with SIL's name on it for six years? Have SIL ask BElk for a credit history of this account ( see if mil was using this entire time). I would also be checking my credit history, and see if I had any cc's issued to me. Pp is correct, a lot of identity theft comes from family. I would be so mad!!!!
  • Before we bought our house I ran a credit check.  Two of my parents' Visas showed up on my credit because they had added me when I was in high school and they had never taken me off their accounts.  I filled out a form saying that I was not the main account holder.  I was taken off their accounts and it was taken off my credit history.  Have your SIL check do a credit check right away!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"