Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux problems

Hey moms! My son is almost 2 months. He was almost 2 months premature so technically is corrected age is 4 days! We have been to the GI doctor and he was diagnosed with significant reflux and milk protein allergy. He takes Prevacid twice a day and takes similac alimentum formula. He occasionally has projectile spit up. Sinetimes he won't do it for a week but now he's done it tow days in a row. Any suggestions on how to help this?

Also, he grunts constantly. GI dr is aware of this but didn't tell me what it could be from. Sometimes he cries when he grunts like he's in pain. Could it be gas? Where can I find gas drops at?

Re: Reflux problems

• You should be able to get Gas drops and Gripe Water at Target, Walgreens, CVS, Babies R Us, etc.  Look for Little Remedies brand.
  • You may need to check on using Neocate.  My son was the same way.  We went to a GI Dr. as well.  His Projectile spit up and reflux slow tremendously with the Neocate formula.  WARNING, it is not cheap.....BUT I do have a much happier / totally different kid now.   He's 3 months and doing great.  LO has much less gas now, but does get a little constipated.  This is nothing regular home remedies can't help.  Call your GI, and ask about the elemental formulas.  Jake was on Alimentum prior to Neocate.  It helped, but didn't resolve his issues.    Hope all is better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call your doc. He may need his meds increased or changed.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went back to the GI Monday and I told her he has improved somewhat but not enough to give me peace of mind so she increased his Prevacid but wants me to try alimentum a bit longer. We go back December 9 if I can stand it! But if he doesn't improve I am definitely telling her his formula is getting switched.
  • Talk to the doc.
    My LO after 3 weeks had bad days. And he was miserable all the time. I try different things and on different days, one thing will work better than the next.
    I have to be careful not to hold LO facing me or with pressure on his belly for 15 mins after he eats or he will spit up.
  • Same story here, almost exactly. Our LO projectiles a lot. He's on Alimentum (like our other kids), plus Prevacid (though once a day), and is 2 days "old" (adjusted) but was born 6 weeks ago.

I think it's just their immature system and will lessen over time. Just the normal idea: burp often.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Mom38673 said:
    You may need to check on using Neocate.  My son was the same way.  We went to a GI Dr. as well.  His Projectile spit up and reflux slow tremendously with the Neocate formula.  WARNING, it is not cheap.....BUT I do have a much happier / totally different kid now.   He's 3 months and doing great.  LO has much less gas now, but does get a little constipated.  This is nothing regular home remedies can't help.  Call your GI, and ask about the elemental formulas.  Jake was on Alimentum prior to Neocate.  It helped, but didn't resolve his issues.    Hope all is better soon!
    What is it about Neocate that helps reflux? Our kids have had reflux and were on Alimentum, including our newest, who projectiles.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Neocate has no milk or soy. Our GI may put my son on neocate but only for his milk allergy. Nothing to do with the reflux.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"