December 2013 Moms
Options

Help- turkey family sick

So my mother just told me last night that my sisters fiancé is sick with a pretty decent cold( she said he looks pretty bad ) .
So my husband and I are suppose to be over there by 2 pm today to celebrate thanksgiving . I'm 39 weeks and two days pregnant. Not only am I worried about getting sick but I'm also worried for my husband. Also what if he has already infected the rest of my family but there not showing signs yet . Would you go and just literally not touch anyone or would you stay home? My mother really wants me to go but I have lasted this long without the sickness and it would me do horrible to be sick and in labor . What do you think ?

Re: Help- turkey family sick

• Options
    notthecheatnotthecheat member
    edited November 2013
    Depends on how often you see people, and how your immune system is. If you feel like you are not sick now, and you don't catch every blessed thing that goes around, you can go, be very strict with hand hygiene, and avoid getting close to sister's FI. Most likely you should be fine. Who knows, you could not go and get sick anyway. You can even get a few emergen-c immune packets to take now to boost your immune system. I would say go if you can, and be careful.

ETA: I think your family will understand if you are paranoid like avoiding kisses or eating after people, but if you are up to going, I think they would really appreciate getting to see you. Have you gotten your flu shot? I wouldn't worry about not touching everyone who doesn't have symptoms as long as you are good about washing your hands.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go. If you already had LO no one would think twice about you staying home and keeping LO away from the germs. Same thing in my opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well my immune system before pregnancy was awsome and I have managed not to get sick during pregnancy being in the presence if sick people for very short periods of time . So I guess that is a plus. My husband is bit so lucky though. He tends to get sick more often than I do. And if he does he will bring it home. I don't know I really want to go . I love thanksgiving I just don't want to regret it .
  • Options
    I have gotten my flu shot
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much whatever you decide. It is one Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    It sounds like you are anxious about it so if I was in your shoes I wouldn't go. You can honestly catch a cold anywhere though, so avoiding your sick BIL today doesn't necessarily mean you will stay healthy.
  • Options
    NYMama1 said:

It sounds like you are anxious about it so if I was in your shoes I wouldn't go. You can honestly catch a cold anywhere though, so avoiding your sick BIL today doesn't necessarily mean you will stay healthy.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say!
  • Options
    Ugh, he should be staying home!!!! I would go, stop by a walmart (cause apparently they are open today) buy gallon or 2 of oj for you and DH. Drink that like it's going out of style, and when it's done continue stay with the fluids. Wash your hands after you touch anything! And stay as far away from sicko as possible. I am sorry that he can't figure out to stay home if he's sick!

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing! But it's my sister in law's hubby and she's a doctor, so I feel like she should no better!!! He has strep throat, which apparently isn't contagious once on meds but he just went on them yesterday afternoon so it'll hardly be 24 hours by the time thanksgiving rolls around. Oh and did I mention I'm still recovering from the cold SHE gave me a week and a half ago? Not happy they're coming. I will not be hugging or kissing anyone. How can some people be so rude to even put us in that position?
  • Options
    I'm debating not going to MIL's for that reason. My nieces and nephew that live there " haven't been feeling well" which probably means they have the flu or strep or the freakin plague but they won't tell me that so I'll come over haha ( it's happened before). Anyway I'm leaning toward not going since I have a 7yo and 2yo. I think if it were just me I'd go since I don't get sick often. My girls can look at a sick kid and catch whatever. So yeah probably going to my aunts and coming back home to cry over hallmark Christmas movies and pig out on leftovers.
  • Options
    Why can't sick FI stay home? That is what he should do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is always oj and emergen-c!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    I wouldn't go.  My son just gave me the worst cold and at this point in pregnancy it's the WORST!  It's not worth the risk in my opinion and they should understand that!
  • Options
    Seriously the sick one should be the one staying home, but that's besides the point.

If you are so nervous about it, don't go.

If you do decide to go, I would wash your hands and/or sanatize anytime you touch anything, and make sure to stay as far away from him as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Why can't sick FI stay home? That is what he should do.

The way I read it they are going to FIs house.
    I have been around sick people for a while now so I would prob go but if your uncomfortable then it's a good excuse to stay home
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"