Babies on the Brain
Options

I didn't think I would have this much anxiety...

DH and I have agreed to just let nature take it's course. No charting, no checking temps, no having sex surrounding ovulation. Just doing what we do best, going with the flow. And yet, I am having so much anxiety over the possibility of being pregnant. Now, there are a lot of things going on, such as recently coming off of a mood stabilizing med, normal work stress etc. I have already been in contact with my doctors who all agree it's really hard to determine what is going on. I took a HPT yesterday morning which came back negative. Yesterday I had a tiny amount of spotting which I have never had in my life. My mood is off (I am mostly attributing that to coming off of the med, at least at this point) and I am more tired than usual. I have had some nausea off and on with some decreased appetite, but again, nothing is consistent. All of this is extremely anxiety producing for me. I really thought that if we were hardcore TTC, that it would be much more stressful than our chosen approach...I didn't think it would be this way. I think the other thing is that I really only have one friend that I JUST started talking to about this stuff and that makes it harder as I am someone who copes better in general when I can talk about things with a close friend. I think my plan at this point is to wait a few more days or maybe up to a week and if I still don't get my period I will take another test and go from there. I just needed to share this. If you suggestions or something to say in support, that is appreciated. I am trying to keep everything in perspective.

Re: I didn't think I would have this much anxiety...

• Options
    If you're coming off mood stabilizers of course things feel unbalanced! I have no idea if you're pregnant, but I've spent the last several months slowly coming off mood stabilizers and my anxiety is THROUGH THE ROOF. I've become a completely different person and I'm pretty miserable. I want to get pregnant so badly, and this internal pain is worth it, but taking away my meds has changed everything about how I'm interacting in the world. This is really hard! Give yourself some slack. TTC more intentionally may cut down the time it takes you to get pregnant, and then you get the meds back sooner. Something to consider.
  • Options
    Honestly, I would prefer to stay off the meds if at all possible. I have always viewed the meds as a tool that I would work towards no longer needing. I think the mood piece is actually the least concerning of all of this for me. It's more the physical things going on that are getting to me. Plus, it is really only this issue that is causing the anxiety to be so high. Work, I kind of just deal with because I know what to expect and working in healthcare, there is always something stressful going on at work. I am not asking anyone to speculate whether or not I am pregnant. I know that only a pregnancy test can answer that question.

I am sorry you are having such a rough time coming off of your meds. I actually started the weaning process about 2 years ago, knowing that this was a future goal. I purposely wanted a very slow wean. I am glad I did it that way too. I didn't feel rushed to come off of the meds. During the weaning process, my coping skills improved.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have always kept track of my cycle but never in a formal way. That's just something I do to be aware of my health in general. I spotted a tiny bit yesterday but that was it. I should have really started my period either yesterday or today (I occasionally vary by one day, so I take that into consideration). Like I said in my original post, I have been in contact with my doc to let him know exactly what is going on and to ask all the questions that have been swimming around in my brain. My dr. said that the mood piece is normal for coming off of the med and to keep track of things and keep him posted. As I see these posts and think things through, I think what might be the hardest part for me right now is that I am limiting who I am talking to about my concerns as I don't want very many people to know about some of these very intimate parts of my life. DH has been wonderful and very supportive. I just need to stay calm and go with the flow like I have been trying to do.
  • Options
    Your period is regular until its not.  And despite the fact that you are "just going with the flow" on the whole TTC thing, you are still TTC which will make you hyper aware of every little thing with your body, whether or not you are temping/charting, etc...  Do your best to keep your mind off of it.  As you said earlier, wait another week if no AF, then take another test.  Good luck!
  • Options

That sounds like a lot to deal with. I didn't quite follow what you're anxious about, you said the physical aspects. Is the idea that you might be pregnant giving you anxiety? Or something else?

Some people find temping and charting less stressful than just winging it. I know for me, having no idea what's going on with my body, wondering maybe I'm pregnant? Did I ovulate yet? Is my period late? Why is the test negative? etc would be way more anxiety provoking than having answers due to temping and charting and knowing what's going on with my body. It takes a lot of the unknown out of TTC. Don't get me wrong, it's all still pretty much out of your control and there are still strange things that happen that you can't give a reason for, but charting and temping lessens it some.

imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Being anxious can also make your period late. Perhaps coming off the med increased your anxiety which in turn made your period different this month. 

Have you thought about counseling? Since you only have one friend you can talk to right now and talking seems to help I think a counselor would be a good idea. 
  • Options
    According to ACOG emotional stress can cause irregular periods. 

Source: https://www.acog.org/~/media/Departments/Adolescent Health Care/Teen Care Tool Kit/MenstrualPeriods.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20131127T1248185528

Now that specific handout is meant for teens. But it doesn't really matter. Stress can affect us as adults as well. 

Here is another (less professional) source:

• Options
    Everything ducktale said.

I think there are some people who can sit back and just let things happen. When I am honest with myself, I know that is just not who I am. I would be far more anxious wondering if I ovulated, when my period is due, what cycle day I am when taking a hpt, etc. Also if you are consistently having sex around ovulation, you can show this to a doctor if you still haven't conceived after several months. Otherwise most doctors will initially suspect poorly timed intercourse. 

Are you anxious because you do not want to be pregnant and think you are? If you don't want to be pregnant please stop NTNP and get back on your meds if you need them. 

No one on here knows if you are pregnant. Just wait it out and take the test just like everyone else. 
  • Options

Stress can delay your ovulation. It will not lengthen your luteal phase, which is what makes your period "late".

So, no. It cannot make you late and it cannot delay your period. It can delay your ovulation, though it takes an insane amount to accomplish that and is not at all something that should be looked at as a primary cause in a cycle being slightly longer when there are other obvious reasons, like coming off medication.

Okay so anxiety and stress can negatively affect your hypothalamus which releases GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone which is also known as LHRH (lutenizing hormone releasing hormone). GnRH is responsible for releasing LH from the pituitary gland. Therefore, yes anxiety can make your period late. 
  • Options
    I never said it would LENGTHEN the luteal phase. But by pushing back the LH surge this also pushes back the luteal phase. The luteal phase cannot start until you ovulate, so if you ovulate late then your luteal phase will be late. And since the luteal phase remains the same length, your period would be late.

Which means, if stress causes you to DELAY LH surge, then you DELAY the luteal phase, which would in turn DELAY the period. 

I did not misspeak. Stress can delay your period. I am not sure what your background is, or what you do. I also don't care. Just trying to help OP and anyone else who may be reading this. 

• Options
    Example:

Typical Month
    Day 1 Period. 
    Day 14 Ovulate. Start of luteal phase (lasts 14 days). 
    Day 28 End of cycle, period begins again.

Stress Month
    Day 1 Period. 
    Day 19 Ovulate Later than usual due to stress. Start of luteal phase ( lasts14 days). 
    Day 33 End of cycle, periods begins later than usual. 
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    She's just being nitpicky.  She's saying calling your period late is wrong because it's not late if you ovulated late.  You're using late period as in "later than normal".  Really, you're both right, depending on how anal retentive you want to be about the vocabulary.  Either way, GM won't ever tell you you're right lol
    Thanks :) Sometimes people do get caught up in the phrasing. It's especially easy to do on the web. I figured she wouldn't tell me I was right even if she thought I was. But it's okay! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    I agree that it's mostly just semantics, the only thing is that people come on here and post about AF being late but the tests are negative. What probably happened is they ovulated later than normal. you're only "late" in terms of OMG am I preggoz if your normal LP has come and gone and no AF. Ovulating later than normal and therefore going more calendar days between your period than normal means nothing about if a poster is pregnant, and if she's had a normal LP than she's not late. Does that make sense? I agree it's a technicality, but I mean, we need to be clear when posters say they're late what they really mean.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"