August 2012 Moms
Options

Milk

We had DD's 15-month appointment today.  Our ped said she should be getting 20 oz. of milk a day  or 16 oz. of milk and 1 yogurt.  She maybe gets half of that.  She just is not that into milk at all (which I totally get - I do not like milk).  She prefers water.  Anyone else have a LO that is not really a fan of milk?
995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Milk

• Options
    Crap.  Emery doesn't get nearly that much.  He still bfs a lot though, so he's getting mamas milk.  Hopefully that's still sufficient, I need to ask his doc about that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Crap.  Emery doesn't get nearly that much.  He still bfs a lot though, so he's getting mamas milk.  Hopefully that's still sufficient, I need to ask his doc about that. 

This is us too. She's getting better but still doesn't drink that much. The doctor says that BM changes overtime. But I think as long as Em is growing and gaining weight he'll be just fine with more mamas milk and less whole milk.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is just now starting to tolerate cows milk. We bf twice a day for maybe 5 minutes. At her checkup I mentioned that she wasn't really drinking cows milk and she said that was fine since she was still BFing. I can't imagine that DD is getting anywhere close to 16 oz because it doesn't seem like I have much milk left. If she's getting fat from other sources I would think it's no big deal. DD has yogurt and cheese everyday too.
  • Options
    @SJandVA, I just went on a breast milk/toddler spiral and I'm feeling reassured.   :)

• Options
    We had our 15 month today too! He didn't say one word about milk. He said juice in moderation. & lots of water. 

He also told me to get DD off the paci!!! She only uses it at nap & bedtime! 

Ugh she's going to hate me. 
  • Options
    I thought the rec for this age was 8-16oz total dairy, which includes milks, yogurt, cheese, etc ... but also calcium-rich veggies are really important
  • Options
    LO gets somewhere around 12 to 20 ounces a day.   She really only wants the milk in the morning and before bed.   We give her a sippy of milk but she much prefers water.   She eats yogurt everyday and I am not really concerned.    She has her 15 month check next week.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DD only likes water at meals so far, so we still do a bottle before nap and at bedtime.  So that's 16 ounces and she usually eats yogurt at some point during each day, or at least some cheese!

I know we should drop the bottle and I'm planning to switch her to a hard spout sippy at nap and bedtime when I'm home during winter break.
  • Options
    He has such a hard time drinking milk :( But he is still BFing for nap and bed so I think he's ok. Pedi wasn't concerned. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our pedi said 16-24 oz of milk or dairy products.

We offer milk at all meals but he probably only has 5 oz total, max 10. He gets two 6 oz bottles before each nap. He usually ends up with about 16-20 oz of milk plus whatever dairy he has.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Options
    jodegaardjodegaard member
    edited November 2013
    He nurses in the morning and before bed, with water during the day. Cow's milk is not a dietary imperative.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited November 2013

DD gets at most like 8 oz of cow's milk per day.  She would prefer to drink water.  I never drank milk as a kid, so I'm not surprised.

Our pediatrician said to just try to get her plenty of other diary products, so we also give her cheese and yogurt everyday.  She's a big, healthy kid, so I'm pretty sure she's getting the nutrition she needs.

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    jodegaard said:
    He nurses in the morning and before bed, with water during the day. Cow's milk is not a dietary imperative.

Why do you say this? All I have heard is that its very important for developing brains. I'm actually super stressed DS is not having any milk right now. We've tried goats milk/etc and its all a no go. he's on calcium vitamins but I am upset he won't have any milk/milk products. we are currently waiting to see if he is lactose intolerant which may be why he boycotted it on his own.
    I believe that calcium, Vitamin D, and other vitamins and minerals found in milk are necessary, but not necessarily the cow's milk itself.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    The ped told me it is the Vitamin D that is the important factor of the milk.  She said I could always do a supplement.  
    995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    L12541 said:
    jodegaard said:

Why do you say this? All I have heard is that its very important for developing brains. I'm actually super stressed DS is not having any milk right now. We've tried goats milk/etc and its all a no go. he's on calcium vitamins but I am upset he won't have any milk/milk products. we are currently waiting to see if he is lactose intolerant which may be why he boycotted it on his own.
    I believe that calcium, Vitamin D, and other vitamins and minerals found in milk are necessary, but not necessarily the cow's milk itself.

what aboutthe DHA? (i think thats one of the important ones that is found in the fat of cow's milk which is why they recommend whole milk... right?)

We asked our pediatrician about DHA and he wasn't too concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"