November 2013 Moms
Options

LO's Nails?

Hi ladies, What are y'all doing with LO nails? Cutting or filing or I've heard some biting them off as they sleep? Her nails are pretty long now but I'm hesitant to cut them since I've heard some horror stories. I just think filing them would take a while and they would be too thin. I've had them covered since she was born but she really wants to suck on them so it's time for me to try cutting them. Thoughts or experiences?

Re: LO's Nails?

• Options
    I just wait until she's passed out, and cut them with the baby nail clippers.  I've never used the files.  I have a bunch of them in the bathroom drawer, but just find cutting them easier.  I've never clipped their skin, nor cut into the nail bed.  
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've simply clipped all 3 of my kid's nails.  I've never had an issue. I tried filing this LO's nails since I was reading horror stories about clipping them recently.  I ended up clipping them the next day anyway since I apparently suck at filing.  I waited a few days after birth each time.  The whole biting the kids fingernails idea is appalling to me because I'm a germaphobe.

When clipping I always slide the clipper so it's extended past the side of the nail. That way I know I won't catch skin.  I also play better safe than sorry and probably don't cut them as short as I could.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've fine both and did nip her thumb a little while in the hospital. She squirmed just as I was cutting, it didn't bother her much she made a little umm noise and that was it. It has already healed and we have cut and filed twice since then, they grow really fast!
  • Options
    I cut DS2's with the clippers around two weeks. But I also file after, because the clippers make them so sharp. He stuck his hand in his mouth before I could file, and he cried so loud when his little nail scraped his gums. Poor buddy.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I just got brave enough to use the clippers. The file was not hacking it anymore. I waited til he was sleeping and was just really careful with the clippers.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With ds1 I tried clipping but it made me so nervous. I ended up just buyibiting them And that worked great. I was totally freaked out at first about biting them when dh's aunt suggested it but once I tried it I found that it worked the best.
  • Options
    The hospital told us not to clip them so I filed them with one of my regular nail files. It worked fine and now a week later I have to do it again!
  • Options
    I haven't yet summoned the courage to clip them, so I've been filing. They're longer than I would like but at least they're not jagged. I've been filing them a couple times each week.
  • Options
    I bought the Piyo Piyo baby nail scissors from Amazon after reading good reviews. I tried them out while S was nursing yesterday and we had success. No mishaps and shorter tidy nails, FTW. Here's the link and reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Piyo-Yellow-Baby-Nail-Scissors/dp/B004DFO57M

• Options
    I tried to clip them when he was 1 week old and nicked his finger. He was fine but I cried. I've been filing since.
  • Options
    I've been using the Piyo Piyo scissors too, but it took a bit to get the hang of them.  The first time I cut her little thumb!  She cried, I cried, it was a mess. 

After that I tried the nail file (slow, useless) and tearing off the extra nail with my fingers (it works, but only if the nail's long enough to grab).  What I do now is wait until she's sleepy (milk coma is great) and nibble off teeny, tiny slivers of nail with the scissors.  It's slow, but it works.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"