April 2013 Moms

ferber

Going off the other discussion... has everyone who has 'ferberized' had success?

I am still the dummy feeding her at least once a night, and now this whole wake up separation anxiety add on has finally set me on the 'we need to fix this' path.
any suggestions on which book to read? or just follow the basics of going in and checking in intervals?

I only fear though, going in and checking will just get her MORE crazy?
We are almost 8 months and the longest stretch I have ever gotten is about 6 hours... her and mommy need some sleep!

Re: ferber

• I really thought i was the only one left still feeding at night? Good to know! She does 'suck it down' (formula fed) but I just assumed it was habit at this point...
  • We are still feeding at least once a night too.  (last night was twice) But I know she is hungry as she doesn't always take bottles well during the day.  Due to this we have not tried to cut out her motn feeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Rhys is back and forth on sleeping through the night. We put him down between 7 and 8, and he usually wakes up anytime between 3 and 6 to eat. If he wakes up at like midnight, I assume he doesn't NEED to eat... but if he's been sleeping for 6+ hours, I assume he is hungry.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • none5none5 member
    edited November 2013
    We are still feeding at night. I am going to tackle that beast next week or so.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • glad to know I am not alone!
    I know she consumes more then enough during the day, my doctor suggested water at night to see if it is just habit or a nutritional need..
  • Tonight will be night 3 of Ferber for us...so far, so good. My girl cut out her MOTN feeding around 3.5 months, and used to sleep like a champ until 2 weeks ago. Seperation anxiety set in, and she would wake every hour SOBBBING, but fall right back to sleep the second one of us started rubbing her head or tummy. Pretty soon she figured that out and cried until we put her in bed with us.That was the kick we needed to get her in her own room and putting herself to sleep.

The first night was rough...she screamed for about an 1 and 45 min while I did my check ins with her. But everytime I went in to talk to her and pat her head, she would instantly fall asleep. This helped, knowing that she didn't really NEED anything...she just wanted Mom or Dad right by her. After that 1 and 45 minutes, she fell asleep and didn't wake up the rest of the night. Last night was night 2, and I put her to bed, she fussed for about 4 minutes, and then was out like a light.

Who knows...maybe it will be awful tonight. But it seems to be working. And she wakes up SUPER happy and rested. It's not for everyone, but for us, I think it will be great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh, and I didn't read a book...I just Googled "Ferber Method" and found good information.
  • best wishes for continued success!!!

• Thank you...Good luck to you if you choose to try it out!
  • I also just did internet research. The going in to check on DS made him WAY more upset than comfort him so I didn't do it. I used our video monitor. If you don't have one, I suggest putting her somewhere where you can see her or peek in on her without her seeing you. That way you can be sure that she is not physically in any pain (like her leg getting stuck in the crib bars). It's also reassuring to see them start to give in. I actually would watch DS cry, lie his head down for 30 seconds with his eyes shut and cry again. I could see at that point that he was super close to falling asleep and it was definitely more reassuring.
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
  • I still nurse once in the motn. I started sleep training for naps yesterday. 30 minutes of crying with me going in every ten minutes to soothe followed by one hour of sleep. Today less than ten minutes of crying and nearly three hours of sleep!!! I'm hoping its that easy, but I won't count on anything until there is more of a trend. I feel like I deserve it after suffering with my terrible-sleeping son. He was up and at it at 4:45 am, didn't sleep during naptime and is still awake and going strong at 7 pm. It has been three and a half years of bad sleep with him.
  • Erin10408Erin10408 member
    edited November 2013
    Night 3 tonight...zero crying when she went down, was sleeping within 5 minutes.
  • @erin10408 - Hot dog! That's wonderful! yay for you and your bambina! Hope it continues to be successful!
  • It took us 3 nights to get him sleeping through the night. The first night he cried for almost 2 hours after his night wake. It was horrible, but I didn't go in. Second night he cried about twenty minutes. Third night about 5 minutes. After that he hasn't woken up during the night at all, and we even took him on vacation where he slept in a pack n play for the first time.. Still no wake ups!
    CafeMom Tickers

• We had major success with this for naps a few months ago. Now we are trying to cut out the night feeding. We haven't fully started letting her cry it out yet. We decided to attempt a dream feed last night around 1030 and other than a few min of crying around 3, she didn't wake for the day until 730! So we may stick with that for a while.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read-in-2012 shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"