October 2012 Moms

Need some advice...MIL death mentioned

I want to know what you ladies think…My best friend told me that she thinks I should go to therapy to get over my MIL’s suicide from last year, because she feels like I can’t move on from it. 

This all started because over the weekend I was talking to my best friend and just mentioned that I was super excited for the holidays this year (I even purchased the Santa diapers from Target over the weekend even though I know they go under his clothes), as I feel we got jipped out on Wesley’s first Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas because of my MIL’s suicide 10 days after Wesley was born last year and the holidays were very rough last year for my Husband so I didn’t decorate and we only saw my family as my husbands grandmother and aunt blamed me and Welsey for the MIL’s suicide (supposedly she left it in a note, but no one will show us the note), so we had a very low key holiday season, and didn’t see much family or go enjoy the festivities with friends and family.

After a year of therapy my husband is back to his old self and has coped with his mother’s death, and his family blaming me, and is actually looking forward to the holidays again! Yeah, we had our ups and downs throughout the year but I finally feel like we are a family again.  My husband and I did talk about me going to therapy but I feel like I don’t need it, but I could just be in denial.

I was taken back when my friend told me this as I thought that I handled it very well, my OB was talking to me every couple of weeks to make sure that I didn’t develop post partum depression, and my family helped me a ton while my husband dealt with everything so I am very grateful for everyone who was there to help us when we needed it. I do think that what my MIL did was very selfish of her, but she had been threatening suicide for 17 years, before she finally did it so I think no one actually took her seriously.

I guess I am asking if you would go to therapy or am I making a big deal out of nothing here.  I know a few other O12 bumpies have lost loved ones and I want to know how you all dealt with it.  I did love the woman, as she was my Husbands mother, but we did not get along very well, no matter how hard I tried.

Sorry it’s so long, big glass of wine for everyone who made it through!

imageimage

Re: Need some advice...MIL death mentioned

• that's so horrible, especially the fact that they blamed you? How could they possibly do that? The good news is it sounds like you know that is CRAZY!
    I agree w MBM though  - it can't hurt!

• Thanks ladies! I might look into therapy, like you said, it can't make things worse.

• Loading the player...
  • What a horrible situation, I amso sorry. Also in the camp of it won't hurt.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies. The holidays have really brought her death back up to the surface for me. We just had her one year just a few weeks ago. I think I might make an appointment just talk it out with someone but I agree completely that people.don't understand the grieving process and I know that everyone grieves in there own way. Thank you for all your input. I never thought about it until my friend mentioned it.

@ziegeficker I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.

• mbm1983 said:
    for what it's worth, if someone tried to blame me for her suicide i'd pretty much write them off. we wouldn't be speaking anymore. i don't know the full situation in your case but that's a really dick move.

good luck with everything.
    yeah this.
    I am sort of astonished by this. I don't understand how someone and a BABY could be blamed for this, especially if it's an in law situation. 

• We don't actually see most of my husbands family anymore because of this reason.  After a few months of therapy my H called up his grandmother and aunt and told them that if they blamed his wife or his son for his mothers death then he also couldn't be in their life as well.  It was hard for my husband to walk away but he told me that it was the best decision that he made. I am hoping that one day he can work it out with his family, but we don't need that kind of negativity in our life.  We do have contact with the MIL's husband and with my husbands father so it all worked out in a way. There is definitly some crazy going on on that side of the family.  I am just so glad that my H is adopted so that it wasn't passed down to him.

• We don't actually see most of my husbands family anymore because of this reason.  After a few months of therapy my H called up his grandmother and aunt and told them that if they blamed his wife or his son for his mothers death then he also couldn't be in their life as well.  It was hard for my husband to walk away but he told me that it was the best decision that he made. I am hoping that one day he can work it out with his family, but we don't need that kind of negativity in our life.  We do have contact with the MIL's husband and with my husbands father so it all worked out in a way. There is definitly some crazy going on on that side of the family.  I am just so glad that my H is adopted so that it wasn't passed down to him.

good for you guys. that is some SERIOUS crazy.

• I can't believe they blamed you and baby?  :[  I agree, therapy couldn't hurt either way!  Even if just to deal with that factor.
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • I agree with others that therapy "cant hurt".  My MIL passed away several years ago (But no drama) and I felt like I was forgotten. Everyone understood that DH would be grieving for awhile, but they all expected me to be strong and supportive and like it wouldnt affect me because she wasnt MY mom. We got along very well, I liked her a lot, I miss her to this day. I needed space to grieve too. In your case, maybe you need space just to unload any pent up feelings you never got a chance to spew--good, bad, or indifferent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"