LGBT Parenting

rkborkbo member
edited November 2013 in LGBT Parenting

Hi everyone, I am new here and was curious of a few things. 

My wife and I are just in the beginning process of ttc. Tomorrow I am actually getting my first labs done for our RE, next week I will have my ultrasound done to see if my fallopian tubes are open, etc. 

We really liked our RE, so we are moving forward with her and didn't go see any others. I am curious if these look like the same prices you guys have paid for things. Our insurance doesn't pay a dime of anything. I am kind of wondering if we are getting hosed. 

Cycle Ultrasounds $270 each may have 2-4 US done within the cycle

Cycle Laboratory Testing $75   each may have 3-5 Labs done within the cycle

Insemination $180 each Doctors do 2 back to back

Insemination Sperm Prep $135 each Doctors do 2 back to back

The fertility clinic is also requesting that we have a co-parenting agreement written up by an attorney. I called their attorney today and they said that was going to cost about $1200. I have since requested that this be waived since we are married. The receptionist said she will ask the Dr. and get back to me. She thinks the Dr. will be fine with it. Did any of you have to do this before ttc?

So according to their items, I could be paying $1395 to $2085 before the purchase of sperm. We are going with California Cryobank, so that will probably come to about $1500 per month for 2 vials. Oh, and I forgot to add in the Clomid, that they say is going to be $50-100 depending on the pharmacy. 

Thanks in advance for any input or advice you may have. 

Re: Newbie

• Welcome and congrats on beginning your journey.

I think the costs sound about right. It is about $214 every time I have an u/s and $207 for an IUI. Up to this point, I have had two ultrasounds per cycle. My RE's office only does one vial per IUI. There is no separate charge for sperm prep. Maybe it is because our samples are pre-washed? I'm not really sure. I'm not sure about the cost for Clomid. I used Femara. Also, I have great health insurance as far as IUI coverage goes, so I'm only paying copays thankfully. After three cycles our out of pocket expenses would have been over $3000.00 based on a recent receipt I saw from our RE's office. That does not include the sperm.

Is there a specific reason why you chose California Cryobank? We are using NW Cryobank. It is $300/vial plus $169 to ship. You can ship quite a few at a time if your RE's office can store them.

We were not asked to do any sort of legal paperwork by our office. We live in NY and are legally married.

Hope that is helpful. There is a thread from a while back where many of us broke down our costs. I'm not sure how to get it while I'm mobile bumping.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• I found the thread where many of our costs are posted. I'm not sure how to post the link though. It is titled Cost of Conceiving and is from September 3.

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

****All Welcome!****

• Loading the player...
  • If you want to stick around with us, we have a TTC Check-In every Monday and various other threads throughout the week. We would love to get to know you better and follow you through your journey :)

***CP mentioned***

****All Welcome!****

• Most of the prices sounds about right on par.  We are lucky that we have great insurance that covers everything (well 80-90%) except sperm and we are using a known donor.  We have had about $1000 out of pocket so far.  Considering how much most people pay, we are very lucky.

We live in Ohio and do not have same sex marriage or second parent adoption.  Our RE did not require any type of documentation like a co-parenting agreement.  That is a little crazy, I am sure they don't require that from straight couples, so I would be a little offended.

Best of luck to you!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Welcome! Those costs do sound like they are in the average range; however, I don't think you will need 4 u/s per cycle (or anything close to that) unless there are issues discovered that require closer monitoring. When I was doing IUIs, I typically only had 1 u/s per cycle around CD12, and only occasionally would need a 2nd u/s priority to the IUI. I had one baseline u/s at CD3 when we were first getting started, but didn't repeat this each cycle because there was no reason to believe baseline had changed at all. Just make sure your RE knows you are paying out of pocket and that you are concerned about unnecessary costs. I did 5 IUIs and with the cost of sperm we paid a little over $8500 for those 5 cycles. We decided to move to IVF after that mainly due to cost effectiveness since we had already paid the cost of a fresh IVF cycle for 5 IUIs at that point ... Anyway, my point being that cost can be a major factor in this if you are paying out of pocket, so make sure your RE understands that and is willing to keep that in mind when recommending what is next. Also, we were not asked to sign a coparenting agreement, but I have heard of this before. Hopefully they are willing to waive that for you since you are married. Good luck!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • I don't have any idea about costs (my insurance covered everything), but I just wanted to say welcome to the board.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"