Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Kitchen Playset for a Boy?

I know this may sound weird, but I purchased the Mellissa and Doug wooden kitchen for DS as one of his Christmas gifts. I mentioned this to someone at work, and they kind of implied that no boy will like a kitchen center. I'm reaching out to the Moms that have son's and kitchen centers. Does it really make a difference? My DS loves to help out and do what I do, so I THINK he'll like this and play with it. I never thought that because he's a boy he wouldn't enjoy it as much as a girl would, I figure he's too young to even process something like that. Any opinions?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Kitchen Playset for a Boy?

• I bought a Step 2 kitchen for my son for Christmas - Mom is getting him a shopping cart and my sister is getting him play food.  Can I tell you how excited I am for DS to use his kitchen?!  He plays with a similar model at my sister's as does my 3-year old nephew and 5-year old niece.  They all love the kitchen.  Gender roles are socially attached normatives we and the outside world teach our kids.  My guess is your son will love the kitchen in the same manner a daughter may love trucks.  I'm sorry your coworker tried to rain on your parade, I'd ignore that person.
  • I have a little girl (though we'll have a little boy too in May), and I don't think a kitchen playset is gendered at all.  We bought our daughter a wooden kitchen for her first birthday, and then I bought the same one for my best friend's son for his first birthday.  Both kids seem to love it, and play with it all the time.  I think all little kids like to imitate their parents, and all little kids (when they get a little bigger) like to help in the "big" kitchen and make messes and whatever.  Besides, in our house, it's Dad who does probably 75% of the cooking!

(And this is my own bias, but I personally think a kitchen would be a great toy for a boy even if it WERE gendered.  After all, my little girl plays with trucks and dinosaurs too, and my little boy will have dolls and play dress up... I think it's all fair game!)

• Loading the player...
  • DD got a wood kidkraft kitchen for her 2nd birthday.  And DS is 14 months and loves it.  He has been playing with it for ages and I've never thought twice about.  It sounds like a fantastic present to me!   
  • Thanks ladies! I feel good about myself again. I can't wait to see the look on his face when it's set up and ready to go!
  • I got my son a kitchen for Christmas and that never entered my head at all. Even if he didn't love playing in the kitchen, I know he'll like messing around with the food and I thought we could turn it into a learning experience to teach him the names of foods and stuff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will definitely be getting my 18 month old son a kitchen soon. He loves to play real-life things. He has a broom, dustpan and brush that he loves to use when I am sweeping up. Agree with PP. Your co-worker is ridiculous.
  • DS is getting a kitchen for Christmas, he loved it at the library and our friend's daughter has one and he loves it too.  We are helping our boys become great husbands one day!
  • DS plays with his kitchen multiple times per day.

The IKEA kitchen pans and cooking utensils are awesome and a must for any play kitchen IMO. Their play food is pretty cool, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My parents are getting a play kitchen for my kids for Christmas.  DS is 4 years old, and he has been begging for one.  He loves to play with his tea set, play food, and kitchen utensils.  He also has his own apron and helps me cook.  I know he's going to love it.  He also likes to play baby dolls with DD.  And DD loves to play trucks and football with the boys. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • shannmshannm member
    edited November 2013
    You coworker is clueless. My DSs favorite toys have been his kitchen tools and food. He loves playing restaurant. He would spend forever in the foodstore and kitchen area of the children's museum. My MIL wanted to give my DD a doll house. I said to gift it to both kids. Sure enough, DS who is now five LOVES playing with the house and furniture. And where is DD? Pushing his cars around. I bet your son will LOVE the kitchen.
  • Idani said:
    Your co-worker is ridiculous.  Play kitchen is one of the top gifts to give any child.  Toys are toys I HATE when people make a huge deal about crap like that. 
    All of this. I run a childcare and the boys love it just as much as the girls! I feel bad for your coworker's children (if s/he has any). I would buy my boy a baby doll if he was interested... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I want DS2 to have a kitchen for Christmas, but DH says no. He is no way sexist, but he's a super Alpha Male and says his boys will not have a kitchen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Some of the greatest chefs in the world are male!
  • People are idiots and get sucked into traditional gender roles. My kids are getting a kitchen to share for Christmas. DS loves the play kitchen at daycare and loves to help me in the kitchen, so I think it's going to be a hit.

• Leftie22 said:
    Just here to heartily second what others have said. My son loves his play kitchen, which is second hand from his two male cousins. Just this weekend my nephews were over and all three boys played with the kitchen, and my nephew said he missed it! So...yeah. Boys love kitchens, and your coworker is being ignorant. And personally, I want to raise a boy who knows his way around cooking and cleaning! It's a life skill that every human being should have.

I want DS2 to have a kitchen for Christmas, but DH says no. He is no way sexist, but he's a super Alpha Male and says his boys will not have a kitchen.

That's unfortunate. What if your DS actually liked the kitchen? SO will be helping put ours together.
  • My son loooves helping me in the kitchen and he will be getting the Ikea kitchen set for Christmas.  I think it is a great item - fosters creativity and imagination.  I think it is going to be a big hit!
  • liberty95 said:
    My son loooves helping me in the kitchen and he will be getting the Ikea kitchen set for Christmas.  I think it is a great item - fosters creativity and imagination.  I think it is going to be a big hit!

I'm thinking the same for our DS. I cannot wait!
  • We have a play kitchen and both my kids play with it equally. Toys are toys. DD loves trains and dinosaurs. DS loves her baby doll and kitchen. Who cares?! They're kids and they're playing!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Not weird at all. I got DS1 the Melissa and Doug kitchen when he was 1.5 and loved it! Still does 3 years later.
  • I'm getting DS a tool bench because there is already a kitchen at both grandma's and daycare. If I had a DD I would still buy the tool bench for the same reasoning that there is already a kitchen at grandma's and daycare.

I painted my toes yesterday and he kept grabbing the bottle I left on the end table. He was pointing to my toes then to his and backing up to sit on my lap. I kept telling him no but DH asked why not do them. Um because he won't sit still long enough and I don't want smugged polish on my furniture. Gender stereotype is what? Lol.
  • shannm said:
    You coworker is clueless. My DSs favorite toys have been his kitchen tools and food. He loves playing restaurant. He would spend forever in the foodstore and kitchen area of the children's museum. My MIL wanted to give my DD a doll house. I said to gift it to both kids. Sure enough, DS who is now five LOVES playing with the house and furniture. And where is DD? Pushing his cars around. I bet your son will LOVE the kitchen.
    DS loves playing with his cousins' dollhouse, too!  I am thinking I will get DD a dollhouse for her 2nd birthday.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I want DS2 to have a kitchen for Christmas, but DH says no. He is no way sexist, but he's a super Alpha Male and says his boys will not have a kitchen.
    Same here  =/
  • We got DS a shopping cart for xmas when he was 18 months and a play kitchen last year. Given we had a DD on the way so we figured they would both use it eventually. He plays with it A LOT. It was a great purchase for us. And he is a very boyish boy... loves trucks, dinosaurs, anything loud... but he plays with that kitchen every single day.

• Leftie22 said:
    shannm said:
    N
    I want DS2 to have a kitchen for Christmas, but DH says no. He is no way sexist, but he's a super Alpha Male and says his boys will not have a kitchen.
    newsflash, that is sexist.

Agreed. And I feel sorry for your son's future partners if they aren't going to be allowed to cook and clean. In this day and age, everyone needs to learn as many life skills as they can! Everyone should have the basic skills to take care of themselves. What if they live on their own? Pizza and kraft dinner every night?

This made me think... yesterday my 3 year old DS told me that when he's a grown up he will clean the house like Daddy does. Seriously, it was one of my proudest moments! Don't get me wrong, I certainly do more of the cleaning and cooking, but I'm glad my DH sets the example that it's a man's job too. That's the kind of man I want DS to be.

• I know a few families, ours included, where Dad does most of the cooking. So the boys want to do what their dads do, it's no big deal.
  • Yeah in my opinion your coworker is an idiot. Your son is going to love that kitchen.

DS really likes the one at daycare just b/c he can stash things in the cupboards and oven etc.

\image  image

• I don't see any problem with it. My DS loves playing with the pots and pans I have so why not? I don't see any problem with it and he'll probably enjoy it.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My ILs got DS a play kitchen for his second birthday at my suggestion.  We never got one for DD because we didn't have a lot of play space until this year, but it's something she is still interested in playing with and which DS will play with for a while.  He really likes it, though so far his favorite thing seems to be playing with his trains on it.  I think it is a pretty universal thing for toddlers and preschoolers to love play kitchens - both of my kids have been drawn to them whenever we see them in preschool classrooms or other people's houses or wherever.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • My husband is the cook in our house. I see nothing wrong with that, since I hate cooking. Part of the reason we're getting DD a kitchen this year is so that both kids can play together once DS is born and a bit older. I hate gender stereotypes, especially on toys. Just let the kids play!

My DH said the same thing so I got our middle son a tool set and guess what he turned that in to a kitchen. He really wanted the kitchen and enjoys it at school. I say go for it I wish I had.
  • Idani said:
    Your co-worker is ridiculous.  Play kitchen is one of the top gifts to give any child.  Toys are toys I HATE when people make a huge deal about crap like that. 
    This.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • My husband is pretty Alpha Male/traditional about a lot of things. His idea for DS's big Christmas gift? A kitchen playset.
  • Eh. My husband believes in hard work; loves his family, faith, and country; and sees himself as a protector and provider. These are traits I've always associated with a more traditional man, they are not bad traits, and in and of themselves do not a sexist man make. He cooks and cleans and is my biggest personal and professional cheerleader (I make twice what he does). So I guess I'm glad I married a traditional alpha male...or maybe we have different ideas of what a traditional alpha male is.

• My DH is a 6'5" farm boy who works 70+ hours a week and still looks like he plays defensive end. There doesn't get much more "manly man" than him and in addition to my previous post... DS was in the bathroom with me pretending to put makeup on and DH walked in and said "Oh, are you getting pretty with mama?" A man can be a traditional alfa male and break gender stereotypes.
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    edited December 2013

Nicb13 said:

I've never in my life used the term "alpha male" and frankly, it sounds like you are talking about your dog you are going to breed with!

We probably won't agree and that's ok, but the items you listed above as traits of a "traditional male" also apply to tons of women I know. I love my family and work really hard to provide for them so what does that make me? You are still implying that your husband has a more important role than you in your family because he's a dude.

I should know better than to get sucked into this type of argument on TB, but here goes. I only used the "alpha male" language because others in this thread described their husbands as such as if this was justification for denying a little boy a play kitchen. My point was that my husband - 10-year Navy veteran, manly man, traditional in many things (but not all) - brought up the idea of a play kitchen for our son.

I don't think traditional, "manly man," "alpha male," or whatever term you want to use-type men are per se bad men to be married to, but YMMV. I think of my husband as somewhat traditional and traditionally masculine, and yet he defies the negative stereotypes of such men in a lot of wonderful ways. He's not more important than me because he's a man; he's important to me because of his values and how he lives them. And he would say the same things about me - a somewhat traditional, feminine, breadwinning woman.
  • @Nicb13, he has a few other redeeming qualities. :P
  • I worked in a daycare for years and the boys played with the kitchen center just as much if not more than the girls. Don't listen to your close minded co-worker. Boys can play with anything girls can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"