July 2014 Moms
Options

Quitting job?

Is anyone else considering quitting their job once baby comes? My husband and I made a deal before I got pregnant that I could when the time came.

Re: Quitting job?

• Options
    I plan to quit once baby comes!  We've been saving for a long time and will be fine on just DH's income (we won't be saving money, but we'll get by).  I hope to get a PT position as a dietitian later on (6-8 months) down the road, but it won't do me any good at my current FT position.  I am oh so excited to quit!!!  :)  yay!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We could not lead the lifestyle we do without my income. I make slightly more than DH. I will continue to work for this reason.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    DH and I have discussed this for so long that now that it is an actual possibility, I am kind of freaking out! His income is plenty, but I feel guilty quitting. He says I can go ahead and give my notice this week so I can enjoy my pregnancy and avoid illnesses (nurse at a family practice). Now I just need to put it in writing! Ahh!!
  • Options
    I'm quitting because we live far from our parents and I don't trust at home daycare places and preschools cost almost as much as my salary :/. I don't make a lot, so if I just cut back my driving, my pampering and eating out we'll pretty much even out. Hardest part is going to be the insurance premium increase when adding baby
  • Options
    Possibly. DH is up for a promotion. He will find out in January/February about it. If he gets it I will be taking a leave of absense from my job but will stay on as a sub. (after the baby is 4-5 months old)
  • Options
    I would LOVE to take some time off, I just don't think we will be financially able. Student loans!!
    :((
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tourqeyestourqeyes member
    edited November 2013
    I'm the breadwinner, so unfortunately that is not an option for us.

Plus, some weird part of me likes to work.

• Options
    I just lost my job at the beginning of this school year (music teacher in an inner-city school) so I've just been supplementing my DH's income by substitute teaching and nannying.  Since my current income certainly wouldn't outweigh daycare, I'm going to work up until delivery and then I'm done.  I guess my LO couldn't have picked a better time to come into the world!

I think I've always known that I would ultimately be a SAHM.  DH has always been in agreement with that and we also want to start our LO out with homeschooling so I should be plenty busy.  

• Options
    I work from home as a parenting blogger and freelance writer, so I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to work during baby's (hopeful) naps without letting the house fall apart around me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.”

- J.M. Barrie Peter Pan

married on the sweetest day 10.20.12

Chicken - 07.08.06 | Bubsy - 02.24.09 | Sunshine - 07.16.14

I have died every day waiting for you. Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years. And all along I believed I would find you, time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I'll love you a thousand more.
  • Options
     It's good for my sanity anyways.
    THIS. For me, anyway. I only have one kid now and already I think the 3 days I'm home with him all day per week are much harder than being at the office 4 days a week. And that's just with one.
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Options
    I'll be keeping my job.  I enjoy my career and we'd like to get a bigger house in the very near future, so 2 incomes is a must.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I make more than S/O, so I'll have to go back to work. We just need to find affordable day care, otherwise the worst case senario is that S/O becomes a SAHD.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I quit when I was about 6 months pregnant with DD, and I've SAH since. I was just offered a job at the local university last week and I plan to take it, SAH is not for me.

• Options
    I hold all of the insurance in my name so I will not be quitting any time soon.  And my husband's job isn't that stable.  But I don't think I could be a SAHM.  I would go insane.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I really want to be a SAHM. I don't know if we will be able to swing it, but either way, I'm quitting my job one baby is born. I hate this job and the is no way I could handle this ft job and baby.
  • Options
    DH really really wants me to be a SAHM because of daycare cost, and of course just preferring one of us to be the one to raise our bean.  I don't see how it's feasible with our life plan and goals, but I think we'll play it by ear, and I might just try working and see how it goes.
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • Options
    I would love to be a SAHM too, but like PPs have said it's just not financially feasible. In the 10 years I've worked in my job, only one woman has quit after her baby and she had family money. It's very uncommon to have a one-income household around here because cost of living is so high. 

imageimageimage
  • Options

I will not. I am a working mom and will continue to be. I love my career! I will take 12 weeks maternity leave

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I work from home, and teach. i plan on taking a break and returning when either I need to or want to. We'll most likely NEED it more then I'll want to, but my life plan was to raise kiddos, and have work that allowed for me to be with them almost all the time.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    I will be quitting just because financially it doesn't make sense. I barely make more than daycare costs. I would like to go back to school at some point. Maybe things would change at that time.
  • Options
    No. I make a lot more than MH and honestly I couldn't be a SAHM - I need to be out of the house and working to be happy.  I'd go insane at home with three kids.  :)

Visit My Twin Life 
  • Options
    Yes I'll be quitting maybe even before baby comes! I'm excited lol.
  • Options
    Nope, we couldn't do it, I am actually the main breadwinner for us. I figure I should at least pay off all my student loans before I think about leaving the workforce, and both my parents worked too so that's just always what I've known.
  • Options
    We are taking it as it comes. I work part time and I'm not sure I could handle being a SAHM full time, but this is my first and who know how I'll feel when the time comes.
  • Options
    I have quit! I actually planned on quitting, turned in my resignation and got my BFP 2 days later!! DH travels for work, so we are now traveling with him! Best decision we have ever made! We are so excited to spend this time as a family. Not to mention, I have felt like hell since 2 weeks before the BFP, so hell feels much better at home piled up in the bed!
  • Options
    I will continue to work. I own a business so it's not really an option, and I love my work. DH loves what he does too, plus we love our paychecks. We could survive without one of our salaries but why only survive when we've worked so hard for what we have.

My sister in law works nights so she is able to babysit when needed and I'll have my nephew when she needs to sleep, ect. I have a seasonal business so Fall and Winter I'm super flexible. It will be a juggle but I'm confident we can do it this way.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I wish! Happy for you
  • Options
    Yup...."I wish" is exactly how I feel.  My best friend is SAHM and her life seems pretty dang awesome.  I like my job, though, and I like our house--so I gotta keep up my half of those mortgage payments!! ;)

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    If we can magically come up with the extra income, then I'd be happy to stay home for the first year. Unfortunately that probably won't happen. DH's hours are being scaled back as it is. My income used to just be for my miscellaneous expenses and now it is needed for groceries and other household expenses.
    Baby #3 is on the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also Mama to Max 5/21/10 and Lucy 6/18/12
  • Options
    Same as pp's. I make too much, like the time out of the house, and enjoy the lifestyle we have way too much.

Being a teacher though, I feel like I get a taste of what it's like to be a SAHM. God bless them!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    thankfully I work from home. I just will have a lot of details to work out after LO comes... I don't go in very often we will see how it works out. I honestly don't want to go back to one income... Things are so much easier with me working.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am quitting in April!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm a teacher and I want to stay home until baby is 3. I also teach nights at the University so I'll keep doing that to bring in some income. It's going to be very tight so I'm thinking about trying to pick up some online classes I can teach from home. I'm going to miss my kiddos at school a bunch though :/
    Married since June 2008

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    TTC Post Chemotherapy
    Unexplained Infertility

DH- SA Normal, Lap on 8/8/13
    BFP! 11/7/13 EDD 07/15/14 changed to 07/23/14 after first u/s

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    Erin1510Erin1510 member
    edited November 2013
    We'll be moving about 4-6 weeks before my due date (yay military! lol) so I will be resigning my position at that time any way. My husband only has 13 months left on active duty after our move, so, if we can swing it I'd love to not work during that time. Once he's out of the military I'll be going back to work once we settle someplace permanently . 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'd love to but DH is already a SAHD so unless one of y'all want to support us we'd be SOL if I quit. ;)
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    I plan on taking a medical leave but can't quit due to the money part.
    This plus I carry insurance for the family.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    Agreed @1982Babies
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14