Adoption
Options

Anybody here watch parenthood?

edited November 2013 in Adoption
I've been less attached to this season than in previous years, but tonight they hit me hard. The moment when Victor asked, "Why did you tell me I'm smart, when I'm really stupid?" was the embodiment of my worst fears.

We've always been completely honest and open with the boys about their pasts and current lives. M knows everything we do, in a way he can understand. He knows all about his life before us, his mother, his life with her, how we found him, the things we know about his past he doesn't remember (or want to remember), his diagnosis (sorry, I don't want to reiterate it with the other post here). He know everything...except about what's happening with the school and how old he might really be.

he knows he might be older, and he knows that the school sent a letter this summer about moving him up, but I told him (and believed at the time) it must be a mistake. One of his is biggest fears is that he might be "stupid." Of he ever realizes how delayed he is, or could be, he'd be crushed.

We focus on how well he's doing, on his advancements, and on all the things he's good at. We've come to terms that our next step (after this battle) is setting up SSI. We are always seeking possible careers based on his interest, so we can guide him in the right direction when the time comes. But despite all this, we fear the day, which might not be very far off, when he realozes J (4 years younger) is eclipsing him. We dread him realizing his delays and thinking he's "stupid," because it will crush him, and we fear he'll give up.

Not sure why I'm posting, except that this is my safe place. I know there's not really anything anyone can say or do to lessen my fear. Hoping he never realizes feels like it would be hoping for him to be even more delayed. I don't think there's a silver lining to be found, really, except what my mother-in-law keeps reminding us of: no matter what, even if we don't handle everything perfectly, he's still worlds better off than he would have been if he remained un adopted in Peru.

Re: Anybody here watch parenthood?

• Options
    You are doing such a wonderful job with your boys. I am sure that however you feel now, when the time comes you will deal with it with grace.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like you are doing an amazing job and are an incredible advocate for your son. I think what everyone needs to always remeber is that there are different types of intelligience. Maybe academically he may struggle. But, find something he's passionate about, art, sports etc. and he will have his own area of expertise that he can be proud of an excel at. It is very much that way with my SD's. the younger one (2 yrs. younger than big sis) takes more advanced classes than her sister and excels at them while big sis struggles. But, big sis is an incredible artist. So, we get her involved in art classes and she is very proud of her skills. It helps with her self esteem and potentially will guide her for the long term.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I watch Parenthood.... last nights episode was a tough one to watch. I received a phone call this morning from someone who asked me if this was a 'real' senerio that happens with foster/adopted children.... This 'world' is not easy!

I think you are doing a FANTASTIC job with the boys! You are their incredible protector - and they may not realize it now, or ever, but they will surely appreciate all that you do for them! The fears are there, they are real, and nobody can take that away from you, but what 'we' (your community of supporters) can do is cheer you on, be there for you when you are broken or whatever! I am seriously impressed by all that you do! You're a fantastic mama! 
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Options
    Yes, I love Parenthood. That line hit especially hard here too. 
  • Options
    I'm new here and have seen a couple of your posts but don't really know your story. However, I think I can relate a little to some of your fears. We are in the process of adopting a 4yr old boy with FAS and his 3yr old sister who doesn't show any FAS symptoms. She has already completely passed him by developmentally and right now neither of them know or care but I worry about him as he gets older with knowing how delayed he is. It sounds so hard to watch your child go through that.
    Clearly, I don't have any advise but I'm sorry for what you are going through and it is encouraging to think how better off he is now! You seem like a wise person and an awesome mom! I'm sure you will handle this in the best way possible.
  • Options
    I don't watch it (though I'm told I should), but I do know a little about growing up with a developmentally delayed brother. We were closer in age, so I "passed him up" early on. I know that he struggled with it sometimes and I probably didn't help by feeling like I had to be an over achiever to compensate. But, I will tell you that we are as close as two sibs can be. He lives with my dad still, but often I'm the only one who can talk to him, that he will listen to. Sometimes I think that he doesn't realize that he is delayed, but then, as soon as my daughter was born he started asking strange questions - we realized that he wanted to know if she had problems like he did. It's sad and heartbreaking, but also beautiful somehow.

I say this because I can tell you that there may be heart wrenching moments of awareness and grief for him, but (and I know you already know this) you he may also experience joys and understanding that none of us can ever comprehend. It's a tough road. It shouldn't be like this, but you've embraced it beautifully and I have every confidence that you will help him with whatever he has to deal with.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • Options
    mtendere thank you for sharing your personal experience. It helps.

Tohisglory09 it's a hard road.  Just do your homework, know what to expect (although they always surprise us and go off script!), prepare to fight for his rights in education and other arenas, and know you'll always have a safe place here if you need to talk.  I, for one, am always willing to listen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"