August 2012 Moms

Worst Present

What is the worst present you were ever given? What did you do with it?

Re: Worst Present

• I have lost track of the ones from my MIL. One year was a used lava lamp, another year was an American flag with a gold, plastic eagle on the flag pole. That year she gave my husband a tie dyed "Grateful Dad" t-shirt. All of her gifts go directly into our car trunk, and I take them to Goodwill soon after. She is mentally ill, so everyone just kind of overlooks the gift choices.
  • I can't think of one that's ever been so bad that I could call it the worst. I've received things I haven't liked, usually decorative items or clothing, so I put them away in a closet for a bit because I feel guilty getting rid of them, but then dh just gets rid of them one day without my noticing until a while later. Then one day I might ask what ever happened to something and he'll say he donated it or put it in the recycling bin, and I say "What?! That was a gift!", but really I feel relieved.
  • Loading the player...
  • sadeathesadeathe member
    edited November 2013
    My husband gave me everything I needed to can food for my 30th birthday, including two recipe books.  Granted, they were on my amazon wish list, but I kept letting him know I wanted a kindle - so what gives?  I was really disappointed with that gift.

After that, I separated my wish list into two parts: wish list and things we need.  Hopefully that won't happen again.

Edit: Spelling
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • A book of cross word puzzles in the shape of a toilet. To, you know, do on the toilet. From my FIL & SMIL. SMIL had cancer that year, so I just let it go.
  • I feel bad even typing this!

My aunt (who had just married my uncle and was really try to get in with his family) bought me this hideous purse. It was leather with different layers of frill. It was very....western. Totally not me. I felt horrible for hating it and did my best (in front of everyone after opening it) to smile and thank her. But I never used it. I put it in a Good Will box outside our Kroger.
  • Probably ones from MIL. I think last year they got me like 5 different ornaments like Homer Simpson hauling a Christmas tree. She has seen my tree for the past 6 yrs and knows I do not use ornaments like that. such a waste of money. She always will say as we open gift "I left the tag on so you know I didn't get it from the Goodwill store!" great so the ones without tags are used. Awesome! Just save your money and don't get me anything it is less insulting.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • edited November 2013
    My MIL always gives interesting gifts. Last year we got an engraver. I have no idea what I would ever do with that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• I hate to seem ungrateful because my mom was queen of bad gift shaming but I've gotten some weird shit from the in-laws. MIL loves old fashion stuff so I've gotten a few lacy crochet purses, a crochet hat and cape so I'm all set to step in at the colonial times museum at a moment's notice. Also FIL gave everyone candle warmers one year and I got one with a deer hunting scene on it. He not so quietly said he mixed mine up with the aunt's, which had a pretty flower on it, but the aunt didn't offer to trade and I was new to the family and totally screwed. The same aunt gave me a beaded heart hematite necklace more suited for a 13 yr old one year. It's all probably boxed up in the basement now.

DH is a great gift giver and only twice did I feel disappointment. The year he was saving up for my engagement ring, he gave me an electric toothbrush. Dude, no. Last year I got a shower curtain rod, an ironing board and workout wear. If I still had the baby weight he would have been in the doghouse big time! But that was all a diversion from the mothers pendant he gave me later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My parents gave me an expensive air purifier the year I was diagnosed with allergies.  That year my brother got some awesome big gift that he could play with and I sat there with an air purifier. Thanks Santa!
    995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well this isn't one that I received, it's one I gave. 

One year I got DH a portapotty for his birthday because he didn't have a toilet in his garage that he was renting, so he always had to go in a bucket or outside. He had been saying he wanted to get one, and I just thought it was so gross!  But looking back, I believe that was the worst gift ever. He was pissed (pun intended HAHA)!

• I don't wear blazers. When we moved to DC, I gave away fourteen blazers from my mother. I get at least one from her every Christmas. I've said things like, "I'm not a blazer person," and, "I just don't have any occasions to wear blazers," but she always acts like I'm wrong and keeps buying them.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"