Working Moms
Options

XP Looking For School/Job Advice Please!

So I am having a bit of a quarter life crisis (I don't think I am old enough for a mid-life crisis yet!). All of the sudden I have an itch to go back to school. I am currently a certified pharmacy technician, and my pharmacist has been harassing me to go to pharmacy school. I have looked into it but I am not really sure that is what I would like to do. I know that I like the healthcare field and I love helping patients. So about 2 weeks ago I got the idea of going to school for a Physicians Assistant. And now I am kind of obsessed. I really want to do it but I would need to take some pre-req classes first. I have a BS in Biology but I never did take Human Anat and Phys or a couple other classes that you do need to have under your belt before applying. Is this just a crazy idea to think about going into a program for something like that while trying to have #2 and taking care of another toddler at home? 

I am thinking long-term a PA job would be ia good life choice it seems to be an in demand profession, and the pay is pretty nice! I just wonder if I am bat-sh*t crazy to think about doing something like this. Most people that I have brought it up to seem to think so....
TTC since August 2009
Clomid for 6 cycles starting August 2010- O but no BFP
SA Septemeber 2010 Looking good 
HSG September 2010 All clear 
1st RE visit May 2011 - IUI#1 June 20, 2011: BFN
IUI #2 July 31 2011: BFP - m/c @ 5w1d
Surprise BFP on a break cycle 10/4/11, Due June 4, 2012, Born 6/9/2012
TTC Blog
TTC#2 : Cycles 1-3 Protocol 1500mg Metformin Daily, Femara + Ovidrel, Progresterone support 
HSG#2 November 2013 All clear
Cycle 4 Metformin, Femara, Bravelle, Ovidrel, Progesterone = BFP
Little Lady Born 8/28/2014

"There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see, 
the beauty of love as it was made to be"
Mumford & Sons

Re: XP Looking For School/Job Advice Please!

• Options
    Can you shadow a PA for a day to get a better perspective on what their job is like?  Given the considerable investment in time and money, I'd want to be very certain about the choice.  

Are there schools nearby who offer an appropriate program?  What's the cost?  Are the class schedules compatible with your work schedule?  Do the programs allow you to take a semester off?  Would you work full-time and go to school?  How would that impact your childcare arrangements and hours?

Most importantly, what does your DH think?

I think you have significant research to do before you make any kind of decision.
  • Options
    I'm a PA. School is a full time commitment. They don't allow for part time classss. Most programs don't recommend having a job while you are in the program. When you do your clinical rotations, you will likely be on call during your surgery rotations. That requires you being at the hospital overnight.

Since you are TTC, I'd hold off on school. Finish your required courses, take the GRE. That will take about 2 years. Then you apply a year in advance. So if you start spring 2014 with classes, get them done fall 2015, apply spring 2016, you would start the program fall 2017. Finish summer 2019. So if in 4 years you are done having kids, then it's a good option at that time.

After school, life is good. It's the getting to that graduation point that sucks.

Have you thought about nursing? There are ADN nursing degrees that are 2 years. Then you can get your BSN online while you work. You can also do NP part time while you work, and that is comparable to a PA. It will take just as long in the long run, but you will be able to work and take classes at your own pace
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"