Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do I need a double stroller?

DD will be 2 when the next baby arrives.  We currently use our Britax B-Agile for some shopping, walks around the neighborhood and trips to the zoo, etc, but even now she doesn't like being confined to the stroller for long.  I imagine when she's older, she'll be even more stubborn about it.  And I'd rather not have to push around a huge double stroller while trying to catch DD as she pulls everything off the shelf. 

We don't have room/money for a bunch of strollers, and I'm hoping to put any large purchases for baby #2 on the Christmas list, so I'd love opinions.  Should we:

1. Buy a side by side double stroller (like City Mini) so DD can hop in and out easily/see everything going on and we can attach the infant seat if the baby's sleeping.  Not sure about the maneuverability of a side-by-side, but seems it would make DD happiest.

2. Buy a stacked double stroller, which would make it hard for DD to jump in and out, but would be easier to fit in aisles at the store.

3. Wear baby and push DD in current stroller or umbrella stroller, then get a double umbrella stroller when baby #2 is big enough to sit up.  Of course, if baby #2 falls asleep in the car or in the carrier, we run the risk of waking him/her up during the transfer. 

4. Go with some other option I haven't thought of yet.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do I need a double stroller?

• If you're trying to save space and money, I'd be inclined to just wait and wear the new baby when u need to. Or, another thing you didn't mention here is like the joovy ultralight sit and stand. I believe you can also put a car seat on that one, and she could hop on and off easily. That stroller is a little shorter than a typical tandem double so that's nice too
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • DS just turned two and LO will be here in May. We went to the store to try them out thinking id like the city mini double side by side. Too big!

We went with the b ready and free seat from amazon for $375. DS is 28lbs and actually loved getting in the bottom seat at the store. We figured wed put LO in the car seat on the bottom for a while.

He doesn't like the stroller either but there are times he needs a break and time to nap!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • I realized very quickly that a double was NECESSARY with my 2 kids. Sure, there are times when the older will want to hop in/out... But even more times when I needed to be able to contain him! We had a joovy sit n stand first and it was a total disaster. I was sure I wanted a City Select or similar but they were too heavy and too bulky when folded. Ended up with the city mini double and LOVE it. Never had any issues maneuvering in the mall or anywhere. It's pretty light for a double and the flat/easy fold can't be beat.

• A double is defiantly necessary.  Most kids want to sit at times and it is nice to have that option.  Maybe look at the Joovy Ultralight sit n stand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • mullenem said:
    My DD will be 3 when the new baby is born.  I'm currently just planning on using a good carrier with the new baby when DD wants to get in the stroller (I have a city mini single).  I'm going to go with a sit and stand if the above scenario doesn't seem to be working.  Cheaper than a true double and a bit shorter.
    You can always just get the buggy board for the city mini :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Mine are 18 months apart, I have a single city mini GT. I wear baby (now 9 months) and DD goes in the stroller. If needed I throw DD on my back in the carrier and put DS in the stroller. Never in 9 months have I thought "man, I wish I had a double"
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • I realized very quickly that a double was NECESSARY with my 2 kids. Sure, there are times when the older will want to hop in/out... But even more times when I needed to be able to contain him! We had a joovy sit n stand first and it was a total disaster. I was sure I wanted a City Select or similar but they were too heavy and too bulky when folded. Ended up with the city mini double and LOVE it. Never had any issues maneuvering in the mall or anywhere. It's pretty light for a double and the flat/easy fold can't be beat.
    I find it way more necessary to contain my older one when nursing or changing diapers on the baby.  NO WAY could or would I do a sit n stand with a 2 year old.  I need to be able to make my 2 year old sit and not be able to escape.  In general most side by sides are much easier to push than the tandem strollers.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"