Working Moms
Options

XP on 9-12 Baby is always unhappy and fussy

ebp913ebp913 member
edited November 2013 in Working Moms
I am about to my wit's end with DS.  He was really rough the first 6 months and I just kept telling myself that surely it's just that he's small and it'll get better.  It's not better.  He sleeps great and eats well but if he isn't doing 1 of those 2 things, he is whining, grunting, screaming, yelling or just being pissed.  It's getting ridiculous.  It's ALL the time.  He's healthy, no issues that we know of but I'm asking here because I don't know what else to do.  I don't know if he's frustrated that he can't walk or crawl well or if he's uncomfortable or in pain.  I can't even tell because he is like this all the time!  Anyone have a child like this or have any ideas what I can do.  

I move him from activity to activity, toy to toy, all day trying to find something to make him happy but basically nothing works.  I love my son but this is getting to the point where we don't even enjoy being with him because he is yelling at us the whole entire time.  Our nanny is concerned as are we that something is not right.  I am making appointments with both an ENT and a gastroenterologist but in the meantime I'm looking for any advice. 
image   image
We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3

Re: XP on 9-12 Baby is always unhappy and fussy

• Options
    My first thoughts would be teeth or a food sensitivity, like dairy.  Have you mentioned any of this behavior to the pediatrician?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aglenn said:
    My first thoughts would be teeth or a food sensitivity, like dairy.  Have you mentioned any of this behavior to the pediatrician?
    In addition to all of this, has he had a chance to learn how to self-soothe?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the food sensitivity and/or intolerance.   A lot of children are sensitive to dairy.  A friend of mine found out, after 9 months, that her daughter was sensitive to her breast milk (didn't realize that was possible).  Her DD didn't have any visible allergic reactions, but was very fussy and unhappy in general.  After they switched her over to soy formula, it was like having a completely different child.  DS was a relatively grumpy baby and things got a lot easier once he was completely mobile, but he was never fussy all day.  So sorry you are going through this.
  • Options
    aglenn said:
    In addition to all of this, has he had a chance to learn how to self-soothe?
    I think so.  He falls asleep on his own in his crib easily.  It's just the being awake that is wearing me down.  I'll look into maybe a new type of formula or something as the dairy thing could be a possibility.  He was breastfed until a month ago and this has been going on really since birth.  I got an appt with an ENT in a week and half.  Our nanny said he's been sticking his finger in his ear and grabbing at it all day.  We JUST got over a bad ear infection and his ears were all clear yesterday morning at the doctor.  Still, this is not just the last 2 days, this is his whole life so regardless of the ear grabbing, I'm still convinced something else is up.  

image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I think I'll try some soy formula... I mean at this point, I'll try about anything.  Thanks ladies! 
    image   image
  • Options
    I have no advice, but best of luck to you and keep us posted!
  • Options
    DD was a difficult baby, mostly due to GI issues. She did not sleep and had terrible colic for the first seven months. feeding was also very difficult. DD became much happier when she became mobile. She is literally the happiest toddler on the block and has been since about age 1. Hang in there, dear.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Have you tried NOT distracting him/moving him from activity to activity.  Maybe he's getting over stimulated.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    Thanks for everyone's input.  This weekend was better.  He still "whines" a lot but it was better. He is just starting to crawl so I think that's helping a little.  I kinda think he has some frustration from watching big sister walk around and him not being able to do that too.  I'm also offering him food all the time too which I think distracts him and gives him something to focus on.  

I do find though that he tends to do much better outside of our house than at home so I think he just need stimulation.  I'd consider daycare but he had RSV very badly at 1 month old and I'm just really not open to a day care situation right now with what we went through last year.  I'd like to get him through one more cold and flu season before he goes.  

I got appointments with a GI and an ENT next week so we'll find out if there's anything health related going on.  If not... then I guess we just bide our time til he hopefully grows out of this.  It's VERY reassuring to hear that others have been in similar situations and that things improved around 1.  I've just never seen a baby like this ever and I've been so shocked at his behavior, especially compared to DD.  
    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"