February 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone NOT doing the glucose test?

I didn't do it w DS, and I'm thinking I probably won't either this time. It makes zero sense to me to test for something that I have no risk factors for or history of.

Anyone else?

Re: Anyone NOT doing the glucose test?

• Options
    Since there were so many false results, our practice instituted a 2 hour test. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took the 2 hr test, my midwife said it was a pass/fail.
  • Options
    I did the 1 hour with both girls, failed the 1 hour w DD2 then passed the 3 hour. To me it's similar to the requirement that you have to test for HIV with each subsequent pregnancy. Unless you have had a blood transfusion or similar event, is that test really necessary? I only eventually submitted to that one bc after discussing it with my OB, she said it was required by CA state law, and that if I didn't do it while pregnant, they would test LO. Obviously I want to save him from any unnecessary needle poking!

• Options
    cbear47 said:
    It doesn't make sense to me NOT to do a test for it. Unless you already eat a diet specifically for a diabetic, I'd take the test. And you do have a risk factor, you're pregnant. 1 in 4 women get GD. Better to know than be like that woman in Utah with her 14lb newborn!!!
    This is false, " Gestational diabetes occurs in about 7 percent of all pregnancies." source: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_recommendations_for_gestational_diabetes/

• Options
    In addition to the HIV test, I also agreed to the chickenpox immunity test, which again I felt was kind of silly, but my OB said it can change over the course of 2 years. (I had pox as a kid) 

I did opt out of other testing this time. Well the NT isn't standard with this practice, but I opted out of the quad screening, or whatever it is called these days. I did do the 20 week a/s, and had a follow up for some bilateral choroid plexus cysts (which my DD had as well).

I agree that it is better to know, but I feel like on this particular matter, and in my particular case it's unnecessary, and more of a blanket test, kwim?

I inadvertently did the full genetic panel with my last pregnancy, where they test if you are a carrier for fragile X, cystic fibrosis, etc. and our health insurance wouldn't cover it at all, so we were out $3,000 to learn that we didn't carry any of those things. And I strongly suspect that I have been tested before, but that the results were lost. 

Eventhough I specifically asked them not to run my blood type again this time, they did it anyway. That's not really that big of a deal, aside from the extra blood taken, but I still had to pay for that as well. There's no way that changed!

IMO it's kind of like if you have a headache, and the doctor offers to run an MRI, just to be sure. Is that really necessary?

That being said, I noticed that you are both FTMs, at least from your signatures, and honestly, I know I did not feel the same way when I was expecting my first as I do now. I had every test done that they offered! And I'm not saying that to make any point other than my feelings on these things have evolved as a result of what I have experienced to this point. 

• Options
    This is my 4th pregnancy. If I have more I will opt out of the glucose test unless my doctor has other reasons to believe I have GD. My practice also does the 2 hour test as a standard (no 1 hour). I had a flare up of my auto immune disease after the test this time (became extremely weak, dizzy, and couldn't drive myself home) after fasting for so many hours. IMO it doesn't make sense to have a PG woman fast that long unless absolutely necessary. They wouldn't normally want me going all that time without eating. But I think you have a point, PP, about not being a FTM. You live and learn along the way what works for you and what doesn't.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options

So let me get this straight - FTM's can't do adequate research to understand tests and we can't really decide if they are important and necessary? :-/

Of course not. I said you live and learn what is best for you. Like in.my case, I had a bad reaction to the GTT/fasting that long. I certainly don't think everyone should opt out.

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    keags5496 said:
    I have always said that knowledge is power. Even without risk factors, people develop GD and because its symptomless there is no way to know if you have it without testing for it...hence why they test everyone. Personally, the mild personal discomfort of the test is worth it to know that my baby is getting the care that they need.

This. The glucose test is really NBD.
  • Options
    Taking a personal look at each tests, it's risk factors, it's cost ( not just funanucally) and making an informed opinion is very important. Now each person gets to decide where they trust their information. Personally I look at data not only from countries that have fear based medical policies, but also more reasonable risk assement. I look at data from counties that I live my life style closer too.

If you are a city/surnerban dweller, look at the data from a source that is based on that. If you work the land everyday, eat off the land, and live 'cleanly' then use data more relavent to that.

I personally have a long convo with my MW about each test. We together decided which tests were relavent to me and my philosophy. But open communication was key to having that support and knowledgable discussion.

I opted out of most testing, including this one. I have faith that other '1st world countries' who are less handsie and have equivilant infant mortality rates can do it for decades, why take tests, increase insurance premiums for a group, and my out of pocket?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For me personally taking this minute test involves driving 3 hrs each direction, missing a days worth of physical work, and having to either pay some one to do it, or have to stress my body by doing it before and after going to said 'minute' test. I can't put off caring for the live stock, or prep airing the property for the winter.

I agree knowledge is power, but I use that knowledge to make an assessment of risk(health, mental, financial) and reward ( would I really stress about said result, how standard is said test in ALL developed countries, not just the US). The medical instudry is tricked people into what is standard and expected and believing what their definition of risk is according to liability, not (not so common) common sence.
  • Options

So let me get this straight - FTM's can't do adequate research to understand tests and we can't really decide if they are important and necessary? :-/

Do all the research you want, but ultimately it should be up to your doctor - the one with the medical degree- not you to decids which tests are important and necessary.

Are you going to decline the GSB swab too because you have no symptoms?
  • Options
    If you have seen the show mountain men, there is one older couple that lives in MW Montana. My husband and I live one valley over. We grow, raise our own food. We also raise various live stock for profit. Since we are atill transitions into going 100% self sufficient (yr 2 in a 5 yr plan), my full time job is the property and now baby.

Our grocery store is our garden, eggs from my ducks, milk from my goats, meat from 1 cow and pig every 2 years plus anything DH hunts/ fishes.

• Options
    gfam23gfam23 member
    edited November 2013

keags5496 said:

I have always said that knowledge is power. Even without risk factors, people develop GD and because its symptomless there is no way to know if you have it without testing for it...hence why they test everyone. Personally, the mild personal discomfort of the test is worth it to know that my baby is getting the care that they need.

Yeah... And there can be serious complications from GD for both mom and baby. And while risk factors can increase your odds of GD, a lot of women without those risk factors test positive.

This is not a test I would ever skip, no matter how bad I feel after.
    If I have another baby, I will talk to my doctor, obviously, and find out if he decides the benefits of the test outweigh the risks. But I experienced more than just "feeling bad after." I have an auto immune illness that caused me to have a bad reaction. Again I will talk to my doctor next time and if I can opt out, I will. Part of the reason I see a perinatologist is the extra concerns that can go along with my disease. Everyone has different needs and concerns.

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    I know I can still get GD. I am not saying I'm against modern medicine. Against broad spectrum 'musts' instated of judicial common sence application depending on the individual, their situation, and lifestyle.

Many of the GOP 20 or even 8 manage their health care systems along those lines. It's also how they keep their health care affordable, yet have very similar maternal rates.

I grew up in an environment that Epidurals we're not given normally, it was an extended labor (. 36+ hrs) or c section thing. It was not for the contractions hurt, I'm 2 hours in. I did not grow up remote as I am now. But I grew up where the dominate heritage was European.

Since I see my MW 30 min drive from the house at her house, I can't 'stack' appointments. When it is deemed need, I will gladly go to town for the health of Baby and I. But what my NEEDED is different then yours. I don't condemn anyone's right medical care as they see they need it.

Everyone makes daily choices of their health. They make it with what they do with their bodies, their minds, and what they put in their bodies.

I do however get really frustrated at a system that uses it's own data to back their own POV, and discredits others data from just as 'civilized' countries when it disagrees with them, but backs it when it agrees. There is a fundamental flaw in any argument pro or con for anything in that situation.
  • Options
    You can develop GD with one pregnancy and not the rest. Being negative for previous p Also, this might be a US thing, but I also didn't know something like GTT was "optional".
    Everything is always optional - no one can force you to undergo any medical treatment/test. 

I'm not sure why someone would skip the tolerance test, GD can kill your baby if left untreated or cause serious complications and can have negative health impacts for the mother too. And ANY woman can develop GD, they don't know why some women develop it when most do not.

Granted it's not super common, and to be fair there is some debate in the medical community about screening ALL pregnancies vs. skipping women with zero risk factors including being under age 25. But if your Dr has recommended it I don't see the need to skip it. I somehow don't think the sugar drink/blood draw is pulling in mad cash for the Drs that they are suggesting women do it for profit or some such nonsense. I could maybe see the argument that they test all pg women to avoid litigation.

TBH - I can't get myself all worked up if someone wants to skip a screening test and I can't really understand why people care so much about it. If she's choosing to skip it, and her care provider is cool with it that's between them. It's her/her baby's health that they are making decisions about, not mine.

imageimage
  • Options
    Dammit, I have no risk factors and STILL have GD...good thing I tested and can now take care of it!

And I know quite a few people who were under 25 with their firsts and still had GD.

Skipping this test because it doesn't reflect your healthy lifestyle is bullshit. Good luck.....

XoXo
    Sarah

BFP#1 10/24/11 EDD 07/01/11 DD1 6/29/11
    BFP#2 07/26/12 EDD 03/21/13 M/C(mmc6wk)09/04/12 @~11w
    BFP#3 02/08/13 EDD 10/22/13 M/C(mmc6wk)03/11/13 @~8w
    BFP#4 06/05/13 EDD 02/19/14 DD2 02/05/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I opted out of the GD test but am having a random blood glucose drawn and will get the test if the random bloog glucose test is abnormal. I also opted out of many of the blood tests this time around. I did have most of them done with DD. I'm still getting my iron checked and will get the GBS test done as that's pretty important IMO.
  • Options
    ZAngel said:

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't take this simple test in order to make sure their baby is safe.  Like I've said over and over again... you don't have to fit a certain model to have GD.  I have no risk factors.  I didn't have GD with my first pregnancy but it showed up with my second.  I'm a distance runner, good BMI, eat well, etc.... and I have GD.  If the drink causes serious complications then talk to your doctor because there are alternative testing methods.  If it's just a bit of discomfort then deal with it because it's for the good of your child.

Yes, in the future I will find an alternative way to test. I apologize because in my pp I made it sound like I would just "skip" testing for GD like it wasn't a big deal. But I know it is so with my doctor I will find another way to test for it. I felt the need to clarify that because it's so important to be healthy for yourself and baby!

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    notreal2notreal2 member
    edited November 2013

TBH - I can't get myself all worked up if someone wants to skip a screening test and I can't really understand why people care so much about it. If she's choosing to skip it, and her care provider is cool with it that's between them. It's her/her baby's health that they are making decisions about, not mine.

I agree with this statement, no one can make you take any test. However, the reason posts about the GTT make me mad is because Many (not all of course) times, the reason a person is upset they have failed or don't want to take it is because they are healthy.  The test must be wrong, because unlike all the other moms who get GD, they are healthy and all people who have GD have made poor health choices.  And if this feeling of invulnerability is the reason a person is refusing a screening, maybe a bit of education will help change their minds.

Doubtful, but maybe.

• Options

I know I can still get GD. I am not saying I'm against modern medicine. Against broad spectrum 'musts' instated of judicial common sence application depending on the individual, their situation, and lifestyle.

Many of the GOP 20 or even 8 manage their health care systems along those lines. It's also how they keep their health care affordable, yet have very similar maternal rates.

I grew up in an environment that Epidurals we're not given normally, it was an extended labor (. 36+ hrs) or c section thing. It was not for the contractions hurt, I'm 2 hours in. I did not grow up remote as I am now. But I grew up where the dominate heritage was European.

Since I see my MW 30 min drive from the house at her house, I can't 'stack' appointments. When it is deemed need, I will gladly go to town for the health of Baby and I. But what my NEEDED is different then yours. I don't condemn anyone's right medical care as they see they need it.

Everyone makes daily choices of their health. They make it with what they do with their bodies, their minds, and what they put in their bodies.

I do however get really frustrated at a system that uses it's own data to back their own POV, and discredits others data from just as 'civilized' countries when it disagrees with them, but backs it when it agrees. There is a fundamental flaw in any argument pro or con for anything in that situation.

An explanation on your last paragraph would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically- where is the 'industry' using its 'own' data to back its 'own' policies? What I see is stop us different companies and individuals doing vast amounts of research and presenting findings in various journals, etc.

Also- the gd test IS for the health of your baby. So why would you refuse it? It puts no risk on you or the baby of ptl or miscarriage...

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

• Options
    Just my two cents: I took the glucose test, but basically laughed it off, since I have zero - ZERO - of the risk factors involved. Imagine my surprise when I failed! I'm so glad I took it now, as this kid is already measuring big. Complications of GD range from mild to very serious, and it's no laughing matter. 

I had a long drive and had to miss precious hours of work to take the test, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to gain knowledge that will help me manage my health and the health of my baby. 
  • Options
    Junebugz1 said:
    No risk factors, no symptoms, failed 1 and 2 hour GT tests. Glad my baby is getting the care she needs, and I'm doing what I can to minimize her future risk of obesity (one of the biggest concerns for babies born to mothers with GD).
    I second this. Oddly enough, when I'm not pregnant I have occasional tendency towards hypoglycemia (LOW blood sugar, not high), but I failed the 1 hr and 3 hr.
    FWIW it's my understanding that having hypoglycemia actually can make you more prone to developing diabetes later in life, so I would expect that it may be a risk factor for GD too? I don't actually know, just making a leap that if you have insulin/sugar regulating issues it makes sense that you'd be at a higher risk.

imageimage
  • Options
    notreal2 said:

I agree with this statement, no one can make you take any test. However, the reason posts about the GTT make me mad is because Many (not all of course) times, the reason a person is upset they have failed or don't want to take it is because they are healthy.  The test must be wrong, because unlike all the other moms who get GD, they are healthy and all people who have GD have made poor health choices.  And if this feeling of invulnerability is the reason a person is refusing a screening, maybe a bit of education will help change their minds.

Doubtful, but maybe.

I get what you're saying, and perhaps for some people it would change their minds but I would hope their Dr/Midwive/whomever is doing that educating too.

Color me uncaring, but I don't feel like it's my "duty" to educate the masses on their health choices. And I just, I dunno, I'm feeling a tad grumpy today but there's a lot of judging going on for what amounts to an individual's choice that has no bearing on my pregnancy.  I'm not really conveying my feelings well, but it's striking me too close to the general notion that pg women's decisions are a matter of public opinion.

imageimage
  • Options
    And, yes... I WAS off in my stats. Your chance of having GD is 10-18% for each pregnancy. 1/4 of women have it at least once (during their pregnancies).
  • Options
    Rach521 said:
    I don't even understand the point of this thread. if you've already made up your mind then no one is going to convince you. all I have to say is that you probably won't get much support here if God forbid you do have GD, didn't do anything to help yourself, and end up hurting your baby. take the time to do what's right for your BABY. when you go into labor are you going to forgo all medical care (regardless of where you are delivering) because the livestock needs to be fed? I'm sure someone else can take over for one day while you do what needs to be done. I'm majorly judging you right now.
    I'm not the OP so I have no idea what her actual motivation was, but based on the post I'm assuming to see if anyone else made the same choice and to discuss that decision?   I didn't get the impression she was looking to change her mind but to chat with others who made the same choice. Sort of like how people who chose to CD or whatever want to chat with others who are doing so.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"