Secondary IF

Tough decisions

So awhile back (August) we put down a deposit to do our FET in February. In October we decided to try IUI, since my body is now cooperating (fail). DH and I talked about pushing back our FET until like May and trying IUI until then to see what would happen. Sigh I already am feeling impatient. I don't want to go thru 6 more failed iui's. We only have about a 10% chance. Thoughts??

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
Induced week 39 due to severe GD
Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
ET 3/25 
Beta #1 127
Beta #2 845
U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

Re: Tough decisions

• pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited November 2013
    I feel you. That was the reason I decided to just go ahead with the IVF. They gave us 10% with the IUI- I had an amazing IUI, 4 mature eggs, and a stellar sperm sample that failed. I figured if it was that effing amazing and still didn't work, there was really no point in trying again. 

You already know what you have to go through for IVF, but I think it's slightly less taxing on you for a FET, right? I mean less than 9 gagillion shots? lol Maybe only 8 gagillion? 

Do you have no desire left to try another IUI? By the time we tried IUI, we already had 19 amazing TI cycles, 4 of which were Clomid cycles, so this also came into play when making my decision. We felt like we were at the end of our rope. 

It's a lot to think about. You have to really do some soul searching and have those heart to hearts with your H and hopefully you can come to a decision you both feel good about! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is cost a factor? If not I'd probably vote for ivf. I feel like each IUI cycle is harder and harder emotionally.

Two DDs 10/08 and 08/10, no primary IF
    TTC #3 since 10/2011 - dx unexplained/weak ovulation
     3 BFN clomid + TI cycles, 5 BFN clomid/gonal f IUIs, 1 mmc IUI
    2/19/2014 IVF #1 Unexpected low E2 (oversuppressed) -> increased to max doses = 3 or 4 follicles, converting to IUI
    BFFP Saw 1 beautiful heartbeat at 6w6d, follow up u/s at 9w showed mmc. Eff this.
    NTNP 5/2014-9/2014, OPKs and TI 10/2014 - 1/2015. 
    RPL testing all normal, AFC, AMH, and FSH all normal. 
    IVF 1.2 1/22/2014 natural cycle start, AFC 28, 300 gonal f/150menopur. 
    ER 2/3/15 14R 8M 3F w/ICSI Day 5 transfer on 2/8/15 of one "Grade A+" blast and have TWO frosties! 

• Loading the player...
  • Well before we did IVF, we did about 17 cycles of ttc. About 10 of those were with clomid  :|
    I am not opposed to trying iui again, but I am not sure emotionally if I can do it over and over with no success. I think it's because we had success with IVF, so going back to the disappointment is really hard. Does that make me sense? Ugh

As far as cost goes, with iui our insurance pays for about 75% of it. Our iui last month cost us about $150. Insurance does not pay anything IVF related, so we were completely OOP when we did IVF and also when we do FET. FET will cost about $2400.

MH is on board for whatever I want to do. 

IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• As far as cost goes, with iui our insurance pays for about 75% of it. Our iui last month cost us about $150. Insurance does not pay anything IVF related, so we were completely OOP when we did IVF and also when we do FET. FET will cost about $2400.

MH is on board for whatever I want to do. 
    Well this is a big deal too. If I had to make the decision with these numbers, I think I would definitely try a few IUI cycles- and then maybe you can bank that $2400 for the future, you know? 

The Dr does seem hopeful about the IUIs in your case, right? I think I remember you mentioning that you just recently found out that you are Oing on your own, so that is also something to take into account. 

So many factors to consider! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes. Oing for the first time ever. Everything sound logical in trying more iui's. I guess I should just be patient. I also feel lucky we do have some frozen, just in case we need them.

IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!