December 2012 Moms

Dairy

We've been introducing more dairy lately (yogurt mostly, but also some whole milk) and DD has been spitting up more. It may not be related, but her tummy sometimes seems icky. We did a "test" last week with soy formula, but she also had an ear infection (which I found out about after picking a week to try this), so I can't really tell if it's better or worse. We only have a month left before we can transition off formula, but am curious if anyone is having a hard time with dairy? If so what are you transitioning to?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Dairy

• I think we're going to skip too much dairy. Cow's dairy at least. a lot of people in my family have an issue with cow's dairy and we've all found alternatives. Having done a lot of research I think it wouldn't hurt to skip it with my DD. We're looking more into goats milk, cheese etc. and I drink coconut milk. Maybe look more into those things? We added a few little dairy things for her and she started getting stuffy and runny noses...could be coinsidence but it was enough for me.

Also...I used to eat more of it. I'd skip the milk but would eat cheese and when I was pregnant I couldn't eat enough ice scream. For YEARS it didn't matter how great I ate or how much I worked out, I could NOT get rid of stomach fat and couldn't get below 135 for the life of me. Once DD had reflux as a newborn I gave up all dairy. I'm now down to 111 and feel freaking awesome. I know I'm losing weight from chasing her around and breast feeding but seriously I feel great (tired but otherwise). I can't help but think it's the dairy.

Anyway...we're skipping it here. :-) maybe try an expirement again this week?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • edited November 2013
    Goats milk and diary products is what we use. They make almost every type of cheese using goats milk, goat milk yogurt, and regular goats milk. Goats milk is closest to human BM out there and is technically better for everyone. That's what we'll be switching to at 1 year since we know that raw dairy doesn't agree with my LO either, but I don't like alternative milks much since almost all of them are lacking something or too sugary (I'm talking coconut, rice, almond, ect).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Sam has been on low lactose formula since he was 8 weeks old. I've tried switching him to regular, but he just does better on this. Most of my family has slight dairy issues (eczema mostly) so it's not too surprising that he's sensitive to it. He handles yogurt and a bit of cheese just fine, but I don't think I'll be doing regular whole cow's milk with him. I got some goat milk this week to let him try it - it tastes a lot different than the formula, so we're going to slowly transition. Hopefully he'll take to it - he's not a fan so far. Boo.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You mentioned she had an ear infection, if she was on antibiotics then they can upset her tummy. If not, then it might be the dairy but I would introduce products slowly and individually to test it out. DD had a milk sensitivity until about 7 months when I slowly introduced it into my diet and then eventually around 9 months introduced it into hers. Before that she would spit up a ton, have mucus poops, be gassy, and cry in pain. In her case, she outgrew it which can happen with a lot of kids. Your dd might just need to outgrow it too which can take a little bit but I would just do an elimination test and slowly introduce to see what works. If not, you might want to ask your pedi about the best alternative. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I saw goat milk at Trader Joes yesterday. And I'm pretty sure Jewel has it too. Just be careful, because it goes bad more quickly than cow milk, so check the sell by dates.
    Another option is to get a canister of powdered goat milk and mix it as needed. I got that at Whole Foods, but you can order it online too.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm really hesitant to start milk with Milla. DS had a bad reaction that he eventually out grew. He had terrible stomach pain, he screamed and twisted for hours, and then diahrrea for a few days. I am so worried she will react the same. He drank soy until he was 3, he did have some early cavities that I contribute to it. He's always brushed twice a day and eats healthy, but by 4 he had two cavities in the very back molars. He would only drink the vanilla flavored soy. He's always been fine with normal yogurt and cheese, he loves them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I get goat milk either from our regular grocery store Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Central Market, but we're going to get ours from a local organic dairy. It tastes so much better than the other stuff we've found. I'd check around to see if there may be a goat dairy near you.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I started Morgan on whole milk about 3 weeks ago.  We started with a 3:1 radio of formula to milk.  She was a bit gassy for a few days but it got better and then went away. We now have her on a 2:2 ratio of milk and formula and she is doing great on it! We don't have any food allergies in our family though so that probably helps. 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• My family loves dairy (think Paula Dean with cream and butter), but DH is fairly lactose intolerant (which I should add doesn't stop him, but he does feel blah after it). I hoped that she'd follow after me with the no allergies/ awesome cholesterol despite the butter/ etc. I'll look for goat milk next time I'm at the store though. In the mean time, we're giving the soy formula another try. It's the soy toddler formula, so at least better priced than some.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"