May 2013 Moms
Options

*Update* Feeding changes - WWYD

strawny0807strawny0807 member
edited November 2013 in May 2013 Moms
Update -- So, I took little miss to the doctor this morning after a horrible night of waking every 1-1.5 hours to eat less than one ounce.  The doctor said she looks great.  Her bottom gums are full and puffy so he thinks she might be one of those babies that doesn't eat well while cutting teeth.  Terrific.  But, if her intake doesn't increase by next Monday we are to call him again and look into testing.  These babies sure do keep us on our toes.  Here's to hoping she gets her appetite back...maybe she'll want some turkey on Thursday.  :)

Hi Ladies,

My DD has been eating horribly for the past week.  She just got up to eating 4oz. at a time and now she's down to 1-2oz.  I don't know if this warrants a call to the pediatrician.  She's always been a small eater in terms of her daily consumption, usually between 22-25oz. on a good day.  Lately, it's between 14 and 20oz. and she doesn't eat much in the way of solids (1 tbsp/day).  I *think* she's teething but I've been thinking that for 4 months.  I've felt her gums but I don't feel anything hard like the tooth ready to break through the surface.  

Curious to hear what you ladies think.  Do you think this is concerning enough to call the pediatrician?  She'll be 7 months on 11/29 and was almost 17lb. at her 6 month appointment.

Thanks for any feedback!
***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12

Re: *Update* Feeding changes - WWYD

• Options
    I'd call - even if she's always been a small eater, 14-20 oz seems really low at this age. Even after we introduced solids (2-3x a day) our pediatrician wanted to know if his formula consumption was any lower than 20-24 oz or so (I actually don't remember the specifics, because LO has always been a BIG eater). She could have a stomach bug or something. LO was sick a few months ago, and was refusing bottles. We had to give him pedialyte (and not to scare you, because I'm sure it's a totally different situation, but he also ended up on an IV because he got dehydrated) - GOOD LUCK! (And honestly? I'm an over-caller. Even if it's not that worrisome, it can't hurt to call.)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @AllisonO78 - thanks for for response!!  You're right, I should probably call.  Did your son show signs of being dehydrated?  Just wondering if there's something that I should look out for.  

Thank you!
    ***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He was refusing bottles, and then ended up vomiting and having diarrhea - so totally different, but it started with bottle refusal. They said he didnt want to eat because he wasn't feeling well. We didn't know for sure that he was dehydrated until we ended up at the ER; his coloring was really mottled; plus, they could tell from his skin elasticity that he was dehydrated - and I don't think he was having enough wet diapers? I think from an at-home / things to look out for perspective, it'd be based mostly on fluid consumption and wet diapers...  but I'd definitely call the pedi to be sure. Good luck! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree that seems low. Im not sure what the oz range is for formula at this age but average for BM is 19-30oz. I've always thought that formula was a little bit more because the calories per oz stays the same in formula but BM caloric value does increase, so formula drinkers need to have some increases as the LOs get bigger.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  I left a message for the doctor, hopefully he'll call me back today.  I have noticed that she isn't having as many wet diapers as normal.  :(  Hopefully, it's nothing and her eating picks up soon.  According to Johns Hopkins, 4-7 month olds should have around 28-32oz. of formula/day....yikes.
  • Options
    Yep, good move calling. My LO reduced his food a lot this week and then ended up sick with a double ear infection. So your LO might be getting a bug. 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"