Babies on the Brain

Private STD Insurance?

Hello, Ladies.

My employer does not offer short term disability insurance and my state doesn't offer it for maternity leave. Have any of you purchased short term disability insurance privately? I've "googled" a few companies and received 2 quotes from their auto system (haven't had calls returned by agents yet) that seem very reasonable.

I know this would need to be in place before conception...

Any tips?

Thanks!
Married November 2009
Clara, August 2014 
Baby Boy due October 2017

Re: Private STD Insurance?

• theteno said:

Can you explain what short term disability insurance is for related to TTC?

To prepare for maternity leave since my employer doesn't offer any paid leave and neither does my state. We've got money set aside for it, but is rather not use it all if we don't have to.

@aragosta - Aflac can only be purchased through an employer plan.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • I was in the same situation as you however after some research I found that I could purchase it through my union. I am not sure what type or job you have but if you have a union that could potentially be an option.

Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • Just for everyone's info - MetLife got back to me today and they do NOT cover a normal delivery. There has to be major complications.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Just for everyone's info - MetLife got back to me today and they do NOT cover a normal delivery. There has to be major complications.

Good to know. Thanks!
  • Mutual of Omaha does private STD without having to go through your work I believe. 
  • I have Prudential, it was offered through my employer, but now I pay it out of pocket. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You will most likely have to have a complication for any of those plans to kick in. I just went through this bc I own my company. You could try paying a high premium to get the std to kick in early but again it will only kick in if you have a complication. Aflac was the best option I could find and I can't get it. It is a bummer!!!
    Married July 27, 2013
    TTC 10/2013

We have 2 dogs and spend as much time outside as possible. 

Trying to Conceive Ticker

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/48e053
  • Thanks for the responses, ladies. I was unable to find a plan that would cover a "normal" birth or would kick in earlier then 90 days.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • You can try mutual of omaha.

I received a quote for them for private insurance (it was a bit more than what we wanted to pay). They offer plans that would kick in as early as after 7 days of a sickness (usually pregnancy is classified under "sickness" in an STD policy). I didn't specifically ask if it would cover pregnancy (as I didn't want to tip them off that that was the only reason I wanted a policy...) so I'm not sure if they have a clause that states the policy needs to be in place for 9 or 10 month before the actual birth of the child in order for you to receive benefits. My financial planner said that most insurance companies that do offer private STD leave pregnancy out completely.

We opted to stop the hunt for private STD and just wait and see what the new job will offer with their employee based STD policy (and figure out if the timing works for us or not).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"