October 2013 Moms

Explain the carseat/grocery basket thing to me please!

ClaireOtomsClaireOtoms member
edited November 2013 in October 2013 Moms
I haven't done it because everyone on here is so adamant that it is dangerous, but I really can't understand why.  I consider myself both an intelligent and reasonably educated individual, but neither DH nor I can wrap our heads around this one.  I watched the video in the carseat safety thread and honestly, it looked to me like that was a defective shopping basket and even my toddler would be in danger in it!

The "top heavy" thing doesn't make sense to me either, because I don't feel like I'm moving at speeds high enough to topple the basket over, and I'm within arms reach of the thing...

Also, if a carseat is made to withstand severe high speed impacts, how is it not going to protect my infant from a three foot fall? 

To reiterate, I HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET, so try not to turn this into a flamefest (unless you include good gifs).  I simply want to understand why this is such a big no-no. 

ETA:  Found this link from the AAP, seems to answer all of my questions.  Thanks for the input! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Explain the carseat/grocery basket thing to me please!

• --halo----halo-- member
    edited November 2013
    I can't imagine any other scenario where I would sit my baby up that high where someone could potentially knock him over. Even in the car seat, I don't want him falling at all. Can you imagine how jarring that would be?

Eta: You have to pick your battles. Carseat safety is important to me. If I'm going to fill the shopping cart I put him in the front carrier. I don't even put LO in those seat slings at restaurants.
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • I was at Target once and had DS1 in the carrier on the top (didn't know better at that time) and the cart started to tip. I caught it quickly. Since then I have never put the carrier on top. So I learned through experience. Never thought it would/could happen.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm short so my preference is to put it in the basket, but we do this when we need to fill the cart like when we were at the grocery store yesterday. Either DH it I are always right there basically holding it, though it fits tight and is not going anywhere. Sorry not sorry. Flame me if you want. I don't feel like I'm putting my child in danger. If it didn't look sturdy/safe in that cart, then I wouldn't do it.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I honestly don't get it either OP. We did it before I knew you shouldn't (please no flames here either, I haven't done it since!) and the thing was pretty damn secure in there. I just hate to take the chance now with so much info out there about how you shouldn't.

In the blog I read there was a photo and the position of the car sets looked super dangerous, which is not at all how ours looked when we did it.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • jnsmith85jnsmith85 member
    edited November 2013
    We haven't done it yet. But I think as long as you are holding it the whole time, like when H and I are BOTH grocery shopping together, I don't see what the big deal is. Just don't step away from the cart. Right now we are placing the carseat inside the basket.

ETA: I did buy a Moby in an attempt to carry LO while shopping. It was a huge clusterfuck of a mess and I couldn't figure out the damn thing, even with youtube videos. LO had a shit fit when I attempted to stuff him in there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
  • I'm short so my preference is to put it in the basket, but we do this when we need to fill the cart like when we were at the grocery store yesterday. Either DH it I are always right there basically holding it, though it fits tight and is not going anywhere. Sorry not sorry. Flame me if you want. I don't feel like I'm putting my child in danger. If it didn't look sturdy/safe in that cart, then I wouldn't do it.

Yeah, when I'm alone, the car seat goes in the basket. When DH and I are shopping together, and it's a $200 trip, it goes on top and he wedges it in there and hangs on to it the entire time. I trust my husband 100% with LO's safety, so if he says it's not going anywhere, I'm cool with it.

That said, all carts are different and whether or not we put him in or on the cart depends a lot on the cart itself.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15

• Also, if a carseat is made to withstand severe high speed impacts, how is it not going to protect my infant from a three foot fall? 

So that makes it ok to put your kid in a hazardous situation? "Lolz, it's ok if he falls because he's in his car seat!". I do not understand this mentality. 

• The locking clips are only meant to lock into your base and a stroller. They can be compromised by using them on a grocery cart which could potentially cause them to fail. Using the car seat on the top of a grocery cart when the manufacturer tells you not to can also void your warranty. It's really just a coincidence that car seats clip onto the grocery cart.

This, and convenience should not be a reason to compromise your baby's safety. I also don't understand when pp are saying it is okay to do when both parents are present. Why not just get a second cart or use your stroller if that is the case.
    Exactly! This is what we do. Also, I really prefer to baby wear even if we are both there shopping. She is much happier and stays content for the whole trip. The other day at Costco though we were both there and she was asleep in her car seat so we just used the stroller and my husband pushed the cart. Worked great.
    Personally I'd never.get a second cart. I hate having one cart. But that is because I hate crowds and public places so that's just my personal problem.

So what I do? I also put lo in my ergo and I grab one of the mini carts. Big trip? Grab dh and have him grab big cart and I put lo in ergo again. :)

• Thanks for all the responses!  Since grocery shopping is my "escape" time and I get to leave both LOs home with H, I don't really ever have to worry about this anyway, but I was curious. Food for thought. 

• jnsmith85 said:

ETA: I did buy a Moby in an attempt to carry LO while shopping. It was a huge clusterfuck of a mess and I couldn't figure out the damn thing, even with youtube videos. LO had a shit fit when I attempted to stuff him in there.

I haven't done it, because we've only gotten a few things and I just put the car seat in the cart and packed stuff around her.

I went on my first big grocery trip alone last week and the moby was (almost) huge success!! In fact, I was so excited that it worked so well I completely walked away from the cart in the parking lot with my purse still in it. Didn't notice til I got home and then hauled ass back to the store where it was, luckily, sitting in customer service. Semi-fail.
  • hartsl01 said:

I can't do it even if I wanted to. I'm too short. I wouldn't be able to see over the seat.

Same here. I'm not even sure I could lift the carseat all the way up there.
    Lol I have trouble getting her into MHs 4Runner, I probably couldn't get her on top of a cart either.

DH has a giant truck with back seats I have trouble getting in by myself I don't know if I could get the seat and me in it.

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• I can't do it even if I wanted to. I'm too short. I wouldn't be able to see over the seat.

Ditto

• I can't do it even if I wanted to. I'm too short. I wouldn't be able to see over the seat.

Yeah me too lol

imageimage
  • Ok, so next question - what about the carts that have the infant carrier built into them?  How are they any safer, since they are on the exact same cart frame?

FWIW, I've always felt grossed out by those anyway, because I can only imagine the germs crawling all over them.

• We always get two carts... its NBD navigating two of them, and we can't take the stroller bc we only have a Honda fit so we either have the stroller or the groceries in the trunk lol!

• Also, if a carseat is made to withstand severe high speed impacts, how is it not going to protect my infant from a three foot fall? 

So that makes it ok to put your kid in a hazardous situation? "Lolz, it's ok if he falls because he's in his car seat!". I do not understand this mentality. 
    You sure try hard to find things to be a bitch about, don't you? 

I definitely didn't say it made it ok (in fact I made it pretty clear that I DON'T put the carseat in the basket), but only that it was one of the things I was curious about.

Obviously you already know this because you know everything, but for anyone else who may have been curious, the AAP link I cited in the edit to the OP discusses WHY my logic here wasn't right - in fact your LO is actually in more danger of injury from falls when strapped into a car seat that is not in the car.  It involves the startle/righting reflex, which allows even an infant to protect themselves in the case of a fall.  The reflex is interfered with when the infant is attached to the car seat.  Also, the car seat increases is heavy and thus increases the impact versus just the weight of the infant falling.  I thought that was pretty interesting.

• petdocd said:
     I'm curious, why ask the question if you don't do it? 
    Because if I'm going to do or not do something, I like to understand why instead of just believing something someone on a message board told me.  Since I'd never heard it anywhere but here before, I wanted to know.  There's a lot of misinformation that gets passed around on this board. 

I definitely didn't say it made it ok (in fact I made it pretty clear that I DON'T put the carseat in the basket), but only that it was one of the things I was curious about.

Obviously you already know this because you know everything, but for anyone else who may have been curious, the AAP link I cited in the edit to the OP discusses WHY my logic here wasn't right - in fact your LO is actually in more danger of injury from falls when strapped into a car seat that is not in the car.  It involves the startle/righting reflex, which allows even an infant to protect themselves in the case of a fall.  The reflex is interfered with when the infant is attached to the car seat.  Also, the car seat increases is heavy and thus increases the impact versus just the weight of the infant falling.  I thought that was pretty interesting.

Frankly, I thought you needed a Moon-Moon award for the tone of your original post, myself. And you obviously expected to strike some cords since you kept trying to defend your position by saying you hadn't done it.  Clearly, you could have googled and just skipped the whole part where you showed your ignorance. 

Around 95% of questions on here are easily answered by using google. Obviously we should all stop asking questions so we don't seem ignorant.

• JFC. My comment to you was so mild, no need to get all defensive. I'm simply stating I don't understand someone taking a kid falling so lightly because they are in a car seat. My much bigger 2.5yr old wears a helmet while riding her fucking tricycle and I still don't think she's just fine and dandy after a tumble from her trike - which is much closer to the ground than a shopping cart and she is wearing her safety gear much like an infant being in a car seat. I don't understand how you can think a 3ft fall is NBD and would risk it. Maybe I just err on the side of caution more than you might but I don't think me baby wearing or putting the car seat in the basket is being overly cautious in the slightest.
    Again putting words in my mouth.  If you can actually argue with me without making things up then go for it, but please stop fabricating things.  I don't know why no one else picks up on this shit.

I have heard women share third or fourth hand experiences about babies dying from these falls (never with any sort of news story or journal link), and I really just didn't understand how that was possible.  Maybe this was common knowledge to everyone else, but I found it rather enlightening. 

• JFC. My comment to you was so mild, no need to get all defensive. I'm simply stating I don't understand someone taking a kid falling so lightly because they are in a car seat. My much bigger 2.5yr old wears a helmet while riding her fucking tricycle and I still don't think she's just fine and dandy after a tumble from her trike - which is much closer to the ground than a shopping cart and she is wearing her safety gear much like an infant being in a car seat. I don't understand how you can think a 3ft fall is NBD and would risk it. Maybe I just err on the side of caution more than you might but I don't think me baby wearing or putting the car seat in the basket is being overly cautious in the slightest.

Again putting words in my mouth.  If you can actually argue with me without making things up then go for it, but please stop fabricating things.  I don't know why no one else picks up on this shit.

I have heard women share third or fourth hand experiences about babies dying from these falls (never with any sort of news story or journal link), and I really just didn't understand how that was possible.  Maybe this was common knowledge to everyone else, but I found it rather enlightening. 

I quoted your original post where you pondered how a car seat would or would not protect your child from a 3ft fall. Where am I misplacing your words? You might not have done it and I am not accusing you of doing it.

And this shit is starting to sound a hell of a lot like BSCMandi picking fights about BFing and NIP just to be a troll. So carry on with your bad self, I'm out.

• If you're both shopping why not just bring the stroller with you? FI and I do this every time and take turns pushing the cart/stroller. Makes life soooo much easier.

• So carry on with your bad self, I'm out.
    Love it.
    july sig challenge: babies are not dogs
  • This is a big one. So big that we even have a sticky addressing it. And, as I pointed out before, it could be answered by simply reading the manual that came with the car seat. The above comment was based on the fact that she obviously DID google the answer right after asking the question--she could have easily skipped a step and not shown the world that she is incapable of not only reading the seat manual first, but also the entire post dedicated to this topic at the top of her screen. 

And I would argue that no, 95% of the questions asked here are not easily answered by google. Opinions, techniques, and experience questions asked on google will pretty much only lead the asker to forums like yahoo answers, baby center, and--what do you know?--the bump. 
    Well, yeah, there's a whole sticky addressed to it but aside from the video (which I addressed) there's nothing cited that explains WHY. 

And when I googled the question all I got in the first page or two was links to forums, which is why I was asking if anyone had access to better information.  The car seat manual doesn't say why, either (yeah, I actually read it.  go figure you were wrong on that one too).

I posted the link not RIGHT after, but in an edit I made several hours later when I finally had time to sit down and do some searching.  I thought someone else, anyone who had ever wondered the same thing, might appreciate the sharing of knowledge.  GOD THAT'S SO IGNORANT OF ME! 

I was never arguing that it's not safe, only questioning why.  I'm not sure why that is such a reprehensible thing to do, except that you guys are just filling in the blanks with ideas that contradict what I was saying in the first place. 

Frankly, I thought you needed a Moon-Moon award for the tone of your original post, myself. And you obviously expected to strike some cords since you kept trying to defend your position by saying you hadn't done it.  Clearly, you could have googled and just skipped the whole part where you showed your ignorance. 
    Around 95% of questions on here are easily answered by using google. Obviously we should all stop asking questions so we don't seem ignorant.
    This is a big one. So big that we even have a sticky addressing it. And, as I pointed out before, it could be answered by simply reading the manual that came with the car seat. The above comment was based on the fact that she obviously DID google the answer right after asking the question--she could have easily skipped a step and not shown the world that she is incapable of not only reading the seat manual first, but also the entire post dedicated to this topic at the top of her screen. 

And I would argue that no, 95% of the questions asked here are not easily answered by google. Opinions, techniques, and experience questions asked on google will pretty much only lead the asker to forums like yahoo answers, baby center, and--what do you know?--the bump. 
    The vast majority of questions have been answered before...on yahoo, baby center, and the bump. Even on the same page. There have been so many repeat discussions, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Even some people on this thread have admitted to putting the carseat on top of the cart, and hopefully because of this thread and the answers and personal experiences they realize that's a horrible idea and will stop. It's better to ask what some may think is an "ignorant" question and get good answers and explanations and understand it so that 1. The OP understands and 2. Other people on the forum get another explanation. More information and discussions are better than not addressing it and having people not be informed.

• @ClaireOtoms You better go buy a pram.

• If we do a big shopping my husband will put him in his stroller and push him around. If I go by myself I put him on the top part sideways because it doesn't fit the other way and the car seat rocks too much when it is in the basket
  • I suggest you reread (or read) my previous comment. I'll make it easy for you:

"Frankly, I thought you needed a Moon-Moon award for the tone of your original post, myself. And you obviously expected to strike some cords since you kept trying to defend your position by saying you hadn't done it.  Clearly, you could have googled and just skipped the whole part where you showed your ignorance. "
    Actually I made sure to clarify that I hadn't done it to avoid the inevitable part of this discussion where everyone dogpiled me for saying "lolz this is totes ok," which happened anyway.  I was hoping (silly me) that someone on this board might actually want to have a discussion rather than just looking for and fabricating reasons to attack an OP.  You guys are just too effing predictable, it turns out. 

oh well.  I got my answers, and maybe someone else will find the information valuable.  The rest is just another day on TB.

• @MammaWolf7
    Can you pull the handle all the way back behind the car seat it should help it not rock as much.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• If we do a big shopping my husband will put him in his stroller and push him around. If I go by myself I put him on the top part sideways because it doesn't fit the other way and the car seat rocks too much when it is in the basket
    No such thing!

Um, at least not with my baby.......................

• I have used a rocking chair and he has a swing. The rocking in the car seat is a lot more intense then his swing. And it's not true about BRU because we had him on the top part and no one said anything to us. I can't put the handle down behind the car seat, it doesn't go that far back
  • I have used a rocking chair and he has a swing. The rocking in the car seat is a lot more intense then his swing. And it's not true about BRU because we had him on the top part and no one said anything to us. I can't put the handle down behind the car seat, it doesn't go that far back

Dang, mine will go all the way back to the floor. I thought it did this to help with the rocking. This is why I just find easier to baby wear.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"