July 2014 Moms
Options

Caffeine.....

So I know caffeine is a big no-no....but I absolutely cannot function/get through the work day without just a scosh.....I get the most raging headache and literally feel like I got hit by a semi truck full of propofol (anesthesia med/michael jackson juice). Is a little tiny bit of caffeine THAT big of a deal? It helps sooooo much. Anybody else in the same boat?!?!

Re: Caffeine.....

• Options
    Not a big deal.  Most experts recommend not having any more than 200mg.  I think you can still have at least 1 cup of coffee and not exceed 200.  For me, it means I can still have a diet coke every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Caffeine in moderation is fine. Someone else can chime in with specific amounts.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    reg202 said:

Not a big deal.  Most experts recommend not having any more than 200mg.  I think you can still have at least 1 cup of coffee and not exceed 200.  For me, it means I can still have a diet coke every day.

Agreed. I think everything in moderation. I'm allowing myself one soda or one big tea a day.
  • Options
    Maybe try a half-caf and see if it helps with the headaches. 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The folks at my doctor said 1 is perfectly fine, and since I usually drink so much, even 2 or 3 is fine.  I think most people use this as one cup of coffee, one of soda or something.  I do all coffee all the time but am down to 1 or 2 cups per day now.  :)
  • Options
    Yep it's safe in moderation! I just had a caffeinated drink for the first time in over a week, I have too much to get done for Thanksgiving and trying to keep up with a 14 month old is making me crazy tired!
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sweet! Anybody know about Diet sodas? Is the aspartame something you need to avoid? I hate the taste of regular Coke...but I could swith if I needed to to avoid the bad stuff.
  • Options
    I believe you're allowed up to 200mg/day, which is about two cups. I still enjoy one cup every morning!

image image
  • Options
    Damn...no one had answered, I took a call, answered and now am just repeating advice. Oops. Ignore me :P

image image
  • Options
    klillis13 said:

Sweet! Anybody know about Diet sodas? Is the aspartame something you need to avoid? I hate the taste of regular Coke...but I could swith if I needed to to avoid the bad stuff.

I avoided aspartame first time around, now it seems the rec is just to avoid saccharin. All in moderation.

image image
  • Options
    mbRN83 said:

reg202 said:

Agreed. I think everything in moderation. I'm allowing myself one soda or one big tea a day.
    Its true, your typical 6oz cup of coffee is somewhere around 110mg depending on where you got it or how strong you brewed it. You can go on websites and get a pretty accurate idea of how much caffeine is in a cup for most major places like Starbucks DD etc. Go ahead and have it, the baby will be fine and you will save yourself the torure
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    I'm having a minimum of 1 coffee per day, though some days I go for 2.

I don't really like soda, but if I have one it's a root beer, so no caffeine.

Drink up!  Have some tea.
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    I was just going to post about this because I am seriously dragging a$$ today! Giving up caffeine all together was relatively easy last time around but now that I have an 11 month old who is currently going through a sleep regression i need ALL the caffeine I'm allowed. I did decaf this morning but just made myself a nice warm cup of caffeinated tea :) One cup a day is fine!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have also heard that up to 200mg per day is fine.

I am not a big caffeine person, so I have mostly cut it out. But if it was something important to me (like my hair highlights) I would not hesitate to have some.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Enjoy your coffee.
  • Options
    In the studies on mice, in order for them to get them to miscarry, they had to be given 2x's their body mass in caffeine (or something ridiculous like that). Your cup of coffee is fine.
  • Options
    Thanks y'all! The nurse at my OB's offices answe was "well you should have decaf..." I said, I dont think youre picking up what im putting down here....I NEED caffeine. Tell me its ok and lets move on lol.
  • Options
    if done in moderation, i think you should be ok. maybe have half a cup in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. you are still only having one cup BUT splitting it might help your body adjust better

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My doctor, who is usually so chill, laid the smackdown on me at my first appointment about coffee.  He gave me a long list of no's which is something he'd never done before.  I wonder if it's because I'm 36?  

When he said "no coffee." I was like, "Wait...One cup, right?" and he was like, "No!"  And, the weird thing is, because he said it, I have this paranoia about it...like, I really shouldn't have coffee or it will upset my juju.

I've done some reading and 200mg (or the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee) each day is supposed to be fine.  That's what I used to have!  But, I stopped (again, irrational fear) and have cut back on caffeine gradually.  For example, instead of one cup of coffee, I've had iced tea instead (47 mgs) and eventually I'll cut it back to negligible amounts (I'm not giving up chocolate!).  

But, I WILL have one cup of coffee on Thanksgiving morning, and one cup on Christmas, by golly!  
  • Options
    You could wean yourself off, that would probably help so you don't feel you NEED it. As for aspertame (and any artificial sweetner), I avoid it like the plague no matter what, pg or not.
    imageimage"">

• Options

I'm enjoying a cup of coffee right now and I had half a cup this morning. Its fine. I drank coffee and tea daily with DS. I definitely had to limit it from what I was used to, but I didn't cut it out completely.

I did eliminate artificial sweetners though and continued with that even after DS was born. I use raw sugar in my coffee/tea now. Its more calories, but I feel better that I'm not drinking chemicals. I think Stevia is ok and maybe Splenda. Aspartame and Sacchrine aren't good.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've heard that aspartame is mostly absorbed into the system and not much is passed onto the baby (I could be wrong), I don't drink soda all the time, but when I do I LOVE a diet coke.  I did the same with my first pregnancy and my son is a completely normal 2.5 year old.

DSC_0111DSC_0036

DS Born 4/7/2011
    DD Born 7/14/2014
  • Options
    One cup a day is fine! I use to drink 2-3 and now cut back to 1.

The diet soda was hard for me too. I will have an ocasional diet coke caffeine free so I can enjoy my coffee and not exceed 200mg!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    mrscurlygurlmrscurlygurl member
    edited November 2013
    Mungojim said:

My doctor, who is usually so chill, laid the smackdown on me at my first appointment about coffee.  He gave me a long list of no's which is something he'd never done before.  I wonder if it's because I'm 36?  

When he said "no coffee." I was like, "Wait...One cup, right?" and he was like, "No!"  And, the weird thing is, because he said it, I have this paranoia about it...like, I really shouldn't have coffee or it will upset my juju.

I've done some reading and 200mg (or the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee) each day is supposed to be fine.  That's what I used to have!  But, I stopped (again, irrational fear) and have cut back on caffeine gradually.  For example, instead of one cup of coffee, I've had iced tea instead (47 mgs) and eventually I'll cut it back to negligible amounts (I'm not giving up chocolate!).  

But, I WILL have one cup of coffee on Thanksgiving morning, and one cup on Christmas, by golly!  
    That is strange. Did you ask him to elaborate on why? I don't really "need" the caffeine so I guess that wouldn't devastate me, but I'd be curious why my doc was so adamant when pretty much everyone/everything says 200mg is safe.

image image
  • Options
    That is strange. Did you ask him to elaborate on why? I don't really "need" the caffeine so I guess that wouldn't devastate me, but I'd be curious why my doc was so adamant when pretty much everyone/everything says 200mg is safe.
    I was in total shock and didn't ask him but I will at my next appointment.  I'm curious about why, too!  He has generally been super laid back.  During my 2nd pregnancy (first that he was my OB for) my husband and I both were stunned when he said, "You can have a glass of wine now and again..."  Haha!  Drinking during pregnancy is *not* for me...but it was funny to hear him say that.  So, when he gave me the hard "No!" on coffee this time around, I wonder what's up?  It made me wonder if there was a lawsuit or something and he's decided to err on the extreme side of caution.
  • Options
    I am a raging monster without coffee, so yes, I am having my one cup a day. It is a big cup and I brew it at home. 

If you're a Starbucks lover, I recently looked up their caffeine info, and their lattes and other fancy drinks actually have a lot less caffeine than their brewed coffee. Their brewed coffee is on the strong side, compared to what most people make at home.

Now I feel justified in upgrading my Starbucks order from cheap brewed coffee to a $4.00 latte. 
    :D
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Options
    Starbucks Gold Card Holder here!  I thought I was going to have to retire it - because I don't really like to pay for decaf (It's a flaw in my character- LOL!  I'm like, "Decaf?  What's the point?").  I'm glad to hear some of the lattes are lower caf!  I'm going to check it out.
  • Options
    I thought I was avoiding caffeine, but then I just read the label of my peppermint tea this morning and realized that it is not actually peppermint tea with no caffeine, but it is black tea that is peppermint flavored.  WTF.  So I guess my "avoiding caffeine" actually resulted in me consuming way more than usual. 

FAIL. :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    biglewzer said:
    In the studies on mice, in order for them to get them to miscarry, they had to be given 2x's their body mass in caffeine (or something ridiculous like that). Your cup of coffee is fine.

This makes me feel much better about the fact that I am drinking 1 cup of coffee per day and most days I'm drinking a cherry coke too. ::Shrugs shoulders:: No clue how much caffeine that is!

• Options
    I'm in the same boat with you!!! I get really bad headaches and Tylenol is a joke. If I drink a few sips of reg coke I'm totally fine and it goes away. I was also super nauseas this morning. Had a few sips of reg coke and it went away almost immediately.
  • Options
    I have been having 1-12oz cup per day. Well, I should say that is what I make. The last few days I only drank half :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker} image
  • Options
    You can pry my caffeinated beverage out of my cold dead hands!!

Lol, but seriously I cut back to like one soda a day, any less and i get to a stage of bitch that is just unreal. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    Coffee is a weekend brunch treat for me, but it has been giving me headaches so I just don't enjoy it lately. :(
  • Options
    The morning of my positive pregnancy test, I had one more cup and then went cold turkey. Worst headache of my life, but luckily it only lasted a day. This might be the kick I needed to lose it completely. However, the lack of caffeine mixed with this crazy fatigue is really kicking my butt! Still bring an empty mug to work each day. People know what a coffee freak I am and they will definitely notice its absence in my life!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"