Attachment Parenting
Options

Toddler vomiting when upset

Hello all. DS2 is almost 2 and when he cries he gets so upset that he vomits. He usually does this when DH is trying to put him to bed. This is a recent behavior so don't think its reflux. He also does this if I try to leave him with a sitter

I am not sure how to handle this. I am hoping to go to work in a few months and leave him at daycare. But DH thinks he isn't ready and that's why he freaks out. So I'm wondering if waiting until he's 2.5 will help.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated! Thank u!
Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Toddler vomiting when upset

• Options
    Aww. Poor guy. Is he crying at night because he's too tired, or because he wants you, or something else? Identifying the underlying reason for his crying and trying to solve that should resolve the crying too. Figuring out why he's so upset will help you make it better too. :)

If he's afraid of being left with a sitter, could you have the sitter over to play with you guys a time or two before you go out and leave him with her? Then, you could make your first trip out a very short one, and make sure there's something very special and fun associated with the sitter (like ice cream or a TV show or something that's typically restricted).

Also, when it's time to leave, you should give him a kiss, tell him you love him and that you WILL be back soon (Daniel Tiger has a great episode about grown ups coming back). Say bye and leave right away, so that he can cheer up and play faster. Prolonging the goodbye will get him more worked up.

At nighttime, maybe DH could change up the routine. A bubble bath, read some stories, sing some lullabies, rock in a rocking chair or something sweet to help him sleep. Is he in your room? Maybe he's afraid of being left alone or it's too dark. Those star light up turtles are super fun and helpful in that regard.

Good luck! Even if he's crying, snuggles and love can help.
    imageimage
  • Options
    DS2 actually sleeps in the same bed as DS1 and they do give eachother comfort!  DH used to be able to put him to sleep but since we moved a couple of months ago, he has been super clingy.  Which is ok, but the vomitting is really awful!  DH thinks he does it intentionally so I will come back.  I usually do so I wonder if he has an association with that.  I'm trying to convince DH that he will just have to clean DS2 up and after a few times, he will realize that I won't come back and will stop that behavior.  But I worry it will persist and then I've just made him go through that for nothing.  I also wonder if maybe after he's a little older, he will no longer be so stressed that I'm leaving and won't be so upset.  If it's something he will grow out of, I'm willing to put him to bed nightly and not return to work for another 5-6 months.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"