School-Aged Children
Options

Anxiety at school.

My DD just started kindergarten this year. She had her first report card, and at the parent teacher interview, the teacher brought up that my DD is experiencing quite a bit of anxiety, to the point where it interferes with her ability to perform the day to day tasks. This totally blew me away. At home she has a ton of confidence, she never complains about school, and she always is practicing her school work. It's not that she struggle academically, she's doing well, but the teacher says she always lost, overwhelmed, and confused. 

Any suggestions on how to help my DD cope with the stress of school? 

Re: Anxiety at school.

• Options
    Hm...  I can think of a few scenarios which would account for this:

1) The teacher is making assumptions about your child.  How specific was the teacher?  Was she able to give specific examples of anxious behaviors exhibited by your DD, or was it just a generalized impression.

2) Your child's anxiety is normal.  Does your DD have a later birthday?  Both of my kids changed dramatically in terms of confidence during the year when they were 5.  What seems like confidence in a young 5 could seem anxious compared to kids who are already 6.

3) The teacher is right, and she looks less anxious at home because she's not faced with the demands of school, so she never appears anxious to you.

Before trying to "solve" the problem, I'd try to figure out which problem you're dealing with.  Thoughts?
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"