3rd Trimester
Options

Perineal Message?

Hello I'm a FTM and I just read an article in the baby center about giving yourself Perineal message to avoid tearing during labor...have any of you STM have success with this or any FTM read about this as well and plan on trying it?

Lilypie - (MlIp)

Re: Perineal Message?

• Options
    I'm a STM, and I heard about it. Um, I don't want to do it, and I didn't do it last time. Maybe should have, I had a level four tear. All the way. But I also heard that you have to start doing that months in advance,or it doesn't help.
  • Options
    My sister swears by it... But I've also heard that it is more effective while they do it in the birthing process to guide the baby to the best position to avoid tearing.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In my birthing classes, they gave us an instruction sheet on how to do it. It involved inserting your fingers and pulling and stretching yourself until it "hurt." I just couldn't do it to myself (or ask hubby - I already feel plenty unsexy in front of him!)

I'd be interested too to hear if anyone feels it made a difference for them.

BabyGaga

• Options
    There had been studies that show in general ( not specific people) it does not effect tearing. Preventive care on tearing can be done by not rushing crowning. I have read the last stage( leading to the ring O' fire) needs to be slow and constant. Not push as hard as you can to get the baby out. No counting and pushing ( that is stereotypical in the movies). Push when your body tells you, not when someone else tells you for THEIR reasons, not yours. It needs to be at your bodies timing, not forcing anything. Obviously is baby is in distress, babies health is more important then tearing.

When I brought this up to an neighbor (OB), he candedy stated it really depends on the hospitals/OB's timeline. He feels that if there is not reason to make the situation more tramatic down there, why do so?

But again every situation is different between mom, baby, hospital rules, nurses, and attending.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think there are lots of factors that will determine whether you'll tear or not, and perineal massage may or may not be one. 
    But remember that the point of doing it is to learn how to relax your pelvic floor through the sensations of stretching (and burning), more than its about actually pre-stretching your perineum. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A lot of your responses made a lot of sense and makes me curious to see what my OB's opinion on this and taking our time during labor is - like one of you said. Allowing my body to do what it needs to not what it's told too! Thanks for all of you input!

Lilypie - (MlIp)

• Options
    My cerified nurse midwife strongly stated that you do not need to do massaging.  Our bodies were made for birthing and our vaginas will do what needs to be done.  The stretching will occur naturally.  It's all about how you go about your delivery process.

We can't wait to meet you, our baby surfer GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary

IMG_0517
  • Options
    Agreed!! Thanks ladies! :)

Lilypie - (MlIp)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"