August 2012 Moms
Options

Because GWP said I had to.....

Here is my obligatory thread for the day :)

How much are you guys trying to teach LO about the holiday traditions this year?  I was thinking about it the other day, and was wondering "Is it my responsibility to explicitly teach him about Santa?  If not me, who, TV???  Do I go through the motions this year (milk and cookies, etc.) to start the tradition even though he won't remember?"  What are you guys thinking?

image image

Re: Because GWP said I had to.....

• Options
    Well, we have Christmas Eve and morning at my parents' house where my niece and nephews also will be so I expect they will do a lot of Santa teaching. We'll do an advent calendar and I'll put something in his shoes for St. Nicholas Day. I haven't thought further than that.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    We are doing St. Nick and Santa but I am not going to try and teach him about it at this point. I will just go through the motions of it but I will not try and explain in depth what it all means at this age. I fully expect his attention span to just be... pretty lights!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are doing St. Nick and Santa but I am not going to try and teach him about it at this point. I will just go through the motions of it but I will not try and explain in depth what it all means at this age. I fully expect his attention span to just be... pretty lights!
    We are doing this too. But next year I plan to go all out with an Advent calendar, Elf on the Shelf, and to also focus on the giving aspect of the season.
  • Options
    I wasn't going to worry about it this year because he won't remember, but we'll do the other traditions of stockings from Santa, making snickerdoodles, etc...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am just emphasizing the feeling of the holidays: pretty lights, festive music, wrapping paper, warm fires, classic claymation movies, snuggles and family time. Santa will get a mention and MIL will insist on church. The rest will fall into place over time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm going to start the traditions and explain it all to her, even though she won't get it at all.  It'll just set a nice precedent for future years.
  • Options
    We're doing the Christmas Eve pajamas and stocking, just like last year, although the stocking isn't from Santa and I doubt it ever will be. E did get to "help" me trim the tree this weekend (suck it, haters. I'm pregnant), which was fun. Next weekend we'll open the big box of miscellaneous Christmas decor, like stockings and such. He already loves Christmas music and he's been snuggling in bed or on the couch with me to watch Hallmark Christmas movies. That's enough for this year. 

In the coming years he'll help me put up the nativity scene (complete with pasty redhead Jesus and the wise men who didn't actually see him until a few years after his birth!) and we'll read The Night Before Christmas, simply out of tradition and not like, "Hey, kids, this is what is about to happen!"
  • Options
    PJ's and cookies and milk for Santa.   She won't get and she is going to uber pissed about leaving cookies on the table she can't eat.   Maybe I should just do reindeer carrots this year on second thought.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"