Toddlers: 24 Months+

27mos and still swallowing toothpaste, normal??

So my 27mos still swallows her toothpaste after brushing her teeth. I thought she would understand by now, but still does not know how to spit it out. I tell her every single time that she needs to spit it out, she tries so hard but can't, and usually swallows before she even tries! Any tips or suggestions? I'm worried about all this toothpaste she is swallowing, even though it's literally pinpoint since I'm so paranoid. 

Re: 27mos and still swallowing toothpaste, normal??

• Our dentist says that it is normal and to still use training tooth paste
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jllmb79 said:

Our dentist says that it is normal and to still use training tooth paste

Agreed

My dd is almost three and a half and is just starting to get the idea of spitting. She is rarely successful. Our dentist said to keep using training toothpaste too.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Loading the player...
  • Yep, normal. DD1 was much closer to 3 when she learned to rinse and spit. We used training toothpaste until she had it down.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son is almost 3 and still doesn't get how to spit lol
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • DS still does too, he tries to spit but it doesn't work. still working on blowing his nose too :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket

• Our dentist says that it is normal and to still use training tooth paste
    Agreed My dd is almost three and a half and is just starting to get the idea of spitting. She is rarely successful. Our dentist said to keep using training toothpaste too.
    See our dentist is different, he tells us not to use training toothpaste because she will be more likely to swallow that, than regular "yucky" toothpaste. He also says she needs at least a pin size amount of fluoride, otherwise the brushing is pointless. Just brushing the food and junk out is not enough to prevent cavities so thats why he convinced me to use regular fluoride, but she freaking swallows it so it's a catch 22.
  • jllmb79 said:
    Our dentist says that it is normal and to still use training tooth paste
    This.  I wouldn't expect a 27mo old to be able to spit out and not swallow.  My DD is almost 3 and still on training toothpaste.  
  • Our dentist says use floride toothpaste, pea sized and it's fine if they swallow
  • Our dentist says use floride toothpaste, pea sized and it's fine if they swallow
    Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'll try not to panic too much and keep practicing spitting lol
  • Our dentist suggested using a ping-pong ball to practice spitting with. I haven't tried it yet. I bought the balls and they just look so big for her mouth. She said to have them "blow the ball in to the sink". It worth a try!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our dentist suggested using a ping-pong ball to practice spitting with. I haven't tried it yet. I bought the balls and they just look so big for her mouth. She said to have them "blow the ball in to the sink". It worth a try!
    lol. How they heck will they fit in her mouth. Worth a try :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"