December 2010 Moms

Pants off poop training?

I give up. I don't know what to do. T has been 'pee' trained for 3 months. He has yet to poop on the potty. Not. Even. Once. He's been through the phases of holding it in for days, and washing 6 pair of underwear a day. We've tried encouraging, rewards, going every 'insert amount of time here.' So today I refuse to let him have pants or underwear. I don't know what else to do. But I'm wondering, is this ridiculous? Is pants off training only effective for pee? Please tell me this is going to get better. I am ready to send him MIL's until he's potty trained fully (ok, not really, but it sounds like a good idea!). Any other ideas of what to do? Anyone else in the same boat?
photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pants off poop training?

• I wouldn't take the underwear off. They're making a mess of *their* bottoms and *their* underwear. It's a bit more personal than messing your floor and more work for you to clean depending on where it lands!! I'm a bit more harsh than some parents when it comes to potty training (at least from what people confess on here), but I will say that I've trained both of mine really quickly and right after 2. When they have a poop accident, I stress to them how yucky and gross it is, I make them dump it in the toilet if possible, and make them put their underwear in the trash because oh no if we run out of big kid underwear we have to wear baby diapers. I like for them to take as much responsibility for it as possible. Thirdly and this is my harsh part, they get a cold rinse off while I clean them up. It took my DD once to not want a cold rinse, and my DS took 3. With that being said, I haven't had a child yet that has withheld their poop so I know that can be a whole other can of worms. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is primarily how we've been training ds & I think it's been effective. He actually caught on faster with poop than pee. I think he was afraid of it just falling out of him or something.

If he is home with you & you are able to be consistent with it & since it sounds like you've tried everything else, I say go for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • kat81again2kat81again2 member
    edited November 2013
    not the same boat, but poop has held us back from potty training in general. DS WAS actually pooping on the potty but he had trouble with constipation and now he's doing NOTHING on the potty (he was really never "trained" yet anyway.) 

DS holds it in. Like forever. Basically he poops no more than once a week, and in the days leading up to the big poop he squirms around because he's holding it in and is uncomfortable. Then it comes and it's so much poop you cannot even imagine…a lot of it usually does end up on the potty but only because a) it might start elsewhere and b) his signs are so obvious that he's about to poop that we can force him to sit there, even though he really does not want to. 

We contacted our pediatrician and he said to use miralax to get soft BMs coming, and that we should aim for 2 BMs a day for at least a month before potty training (and before stopping the miralax) just so DS can get over the whole "holding it in" thing psychologically. We've been using the laxative for about 2 weeks and he's still pooping once a week. The BM is soft but he's just that good at holding it in…! (Also, it's hard for us to give him much laxative because it has to dissolve in a drink, preferrably not water, and DS only drinks so much non-water at home during the week anyhow.)

If you think your kid is going down the path of holding it in and then experiencing discomfort / painful BMs, start a laxative asap so that you don't fall into the same psychological trap. I also imagine it is easier to potty train BM if they are coming at least once a day. Good luck!

ETA: As a kid I had the same problem of holding my poop in and it impeded potty training (I think I was 4 when trained…as a GIRL) and the problem lingered later into childhood. I remember having constipation and withholding problems when I was like 8 or so! At least at that age I had the sense to eat prunes to get things going, even though I didn't like their taste at all, AND I knew that withholding was making the problem even worse, but I still held it in. This is definitely a psychological issue that has to be overcome, so if you can nip it in the bud that is something you should try to do!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"