December 2013 Moms

Eating Dates to induce labor

EggerkrEggerkr member
edited November 2013 in December 2013 Moms
I just bought some at the store today since I hear they help induce labor/ dilating. The ones I bought are already chopped but they are loaded with sugar! Can you buy whole dates? I don't remember seeing whole dates only chopped. I just don't like all the sugar.
Pregnancy Ticker image image

Re: Eating Dates to induce labor

• I saw dried whole dates at Costco today.
  • I just got some whole pitted dates from Walmart in the dried fruit section. They should be at every grocery store I would think.
  • Loading the player...

• KateMW said:
    Why are people trying to induce labor so early? I'm confused. Dates are yummy though.
    you read my mind on pt 1, pt 2- I've never eaten a date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Dates are delicious! I buy whole medjool dates in the produce section of the grocery store.

• I'm due next week so I looked tonight and couldn't find any dates at all. Just prunes and raisins.
  • katebusse said:

Dates are delicious! I buy whole medjool dates in the produce section of the grocery store.

What grocery store @katebusse
  • jmb527 said:

KateMW said:

Why are people trying to induce labor so early? I'm confused. Dates are yummy though.

you read my mind on pt 1, pt 2- I've never eaten a date.

I'm now 37+ 2 weeks and I also have some serious rib pain that I'm not sure how to deal with any longer... He's welcome to show up any day now!
  • I saw some at the grocery store, whole and pitted. They are extremely sweet. I don't think they "induce" labor but help during vaginal birth because of dilation and softening.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • COgirl29 said:

Dates do not induce labor, OP. They are said to soften the cervix to make for a quicker labor when it does happen, but not induce.

Thanks! I wasnt exactly sure in what terminology I should have used for this post. I knew " induce" wasn't the right word but wasn't sure what else put.
  • Dates are delicious! I buy whole medjool dates in the produce section of the grocery store.

Crgardner957, Wegmans!! I've also seen them in Stop and Shop, Shaws, Ralph's and Whole Foods. Wegmans takes the cake though!

• I've been eating lots of dates the last week. For the labor and also because they're delicious! Whole Foods has the best.

• esf60 said:

I've been eating lots of dates the last week. For the labor and also because they're delicious! Whole Foods has the best.

I envy all of you with your Whole foods, trader joes and other wonderful Co-ops! I live in Iowa where all that there is hyvee, fareway and wal(gross)mart! I miss home good ole Minneapolis!
  • @Eggerkr oh my. I think we need to start a letter writing campaign to get you a Whole Foods! That ain't right!

• @esf60 I was at a IIDA event on Wednesday ( international interior design association) and told another designer where I lived and she says to me "ugh the armpit of Iowa" my response back was "ain't that the truth!"

I am all about writing a letter to trader hoes or whole foods to get one here! And FYI I need a target too the closest is a 45 minute drive!
  • I had no idea dates had any effect on childbirth...I've been eating them my whole pregnancy
    imageimage

• katebusse said:

katebusse said:

Dates are delicious! I buy whole medjool dates in the produce section of the grocery store.

Crgardner957, Wegmans!! I've also seen them in Stop and Shop, Shaws, Ralph's and Whole Foods. Wegmans takes the cake though!

I haven't ever heard of any of those lol except Whole Foods and that's 45 minutes away... Dangit!
  • Darn it wish I would have read this earlier. Sent my husband to the grocery store today I'm about to hit 39 wk and would love little bradley to come out this week.
  • My fave is medjool WITH the pit. I like the ones from Sam's Club best.
    imageimage

• KateMW said:

I have rib pain as well...and knee pain and vag pain and all pain, but why try to deliver before they're full term? 

Ok I totally agree with you, but I seem to remember you saying you wouldn't side eye the girl who wanted to ACTUALLY induce at 39 weeks so her husband could be there because her OB said she could.. Just wondering why you would be against natural induction then. Especially when OBs/midwives encourage eating dates from 37 weeks on. We all know no one will go into labor if their body isn't ready. Just confused on how this is any different.. @kateMW

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Because it's stupid to try to trick your body into labor at 37 weeks. 39 weeks is full term, 37 is not. Not sure how that is confusing. 
  • I'm hitting 39 weeks this week. My husbanf manages a catering company and his crazy slammed season starts the week I'm due. I wouldn't do anything to hurt my baby but natural things like eating dates and raspberry tea I don't think it would hurt anyone. I'm just praying this baby decides to come a little early so daddy can hang out with baby for a few days. I dont see the harm on that. ;)
  • Nrg2020 said:

COgirl29 said:

Dates do not induce labor, OP. They are said to soften the cervix to make for a quicker labor when it does happen, but not induce.

^^^ I've always understood that dates don't induce labor, but help soften the cervix.
    Now, if she were drinking castor oil or something.. that'd be understandable.

I don't think eating a certain food is necessarily 'tricking your body to go into labor'. Plenty of people eat dates and pineapple their whole pregnancy
    I just had to google pineapple and pregnancy. Never heard that before. Wonder if there is a connection between my Hawaiian pizza cravings and wanting to evict this baby (at times).

.. Jk
    I havent had Hawaiian pizza in years. That sounds sooo good.
  • So I bought some at the supermarket. Whole pitted dates. Supposed to eat 6 a day and it's like 25grams of sugar! I haven't been great at keeping up with it

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My lunch today was mango, kiwi fruit, pineapple with yogurt and a handful of dates :) still trying to track down raspberry tea, only managed to find raspberry flavored so doubt that's any good
  • Nrg2020 said:

Eggerkr said:

@esf60 I was at a IIDA event on Wednesday ( international interior design association) and told another designer where I lived and she says to me "ugh the armpit of Iowa" my response back was "ain't that the truth!"

I am all about writing a letter to trader hoes or whole foods to get one here! And FYI I need a target too the closest is a 45 minute drive!

I want a trader hoes too..
    @nrg2020 I laughed at your spelling error and then realized it was originally my error! Good lord!
  • Are dates anything like prunes?
  • Sweeter and more fiber
    imageimage

• KateMW said:

Because it's stupid to try to trick your body into labor at 37 weeks. 39 weeks is full term, 37 is not. Not sure how that is confusing. 

Unless we are talking pitocin, you can't "trick" your body into labor, especially not by eating dates. Eating dates won't help at all unless your body is already naturally preparing itself for labor on its own and the cervix is softening/thinning/dilating already. Same thing with sex or any of the other things said to help put you into labor. Eating pounds of dates and having sex 10 times a day will do absolutely nothing for you unless your body is ready.
    Exactly. Do what you want but eating dates isn't throwing anyone into labor. Also we aren't talking about having preemies here. A 37 or 38 week baby is still term even with the new definition.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Because it's stupid to try to trick your body into labor at 37 weeks. 39 weeks is full term, 37 is not. Not sure how that is confusing. 
    Unless we are talking pitocin, you can't "trick" your body into labor, especially not by eating dates. Eating dates won't help at all unless your body is already naturally preparing itself for labor on its own and the cervix is softening/thinning/dilating already. Same thing with sex or any of the other things said to help put you into labor. Eating pounds of dates and having sex 10 times a day will do absolutely nothing for you unless your body is ready.
    Yeah, I know. I just don't get the whole thought process. :) 

• MrsC731 said:
    Because it's stupid to try to trick your body into labor at 37 weeks. 39 weeks is full term, 37 is not. Not sure how that is confusing. 
    Exactly. Do what you want but eating dates isn't throwing anyone into labor. Also we aren't talking about having preemies here. A 37 or 38 week baby is still term even with the new definition.
    How is it term if they changed the definition to say 39 weeks. Didn't somebody have a 4lb 37 weeker the other day? Or was she earlier than that? I would never want that if I could help it, pain or no pain. The question just rubbed me the wrong way...but it's probably combined with all the other stuff that's been asked like castor oil, sex, goodness knows what else will be suggested.
  • KateMW said:

MrsC731 said:
    How is it term if they changed the definition to say 39 weeks. Didn't somebody have a 4lb 37 weeker the other day? Or was she earlier than that? I would never want that if I could help it, pain or no pain. The question just rubbed me the wrong way...but it's probably combined with all the other stuff that's been asked like castor oil, sex, goodness knows what else will be suggested.

On average, at 37 weeks most babies should be 6lbs+
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • KateMW said:

MrsC731 said:

Yes, I know that. But not all babies are average as we all know. :) My 39 and some odd days baby was 6lbs 9oz when we were discharged...
  • esf60 said:
    @KateMW I'm not even in much pain, but I'm 39 weeks and I'm 0 cm/0% effaced. Trying to make something happen down there & I'm not willing to try anything crazier than dates. Except maybe witchcraft.

esf60 said:
    @KateMW I'm not even in much pain, but I'm 39 weeks and I'm 0 cm/0% effaced. Trying to make something happen down there & I'm not willing to try anything crazier than dates. Except maybe witchcraft.

At 39 weeks, I welcome all sorts of crazy things. :)
  • KateMW said:
    KateMW said:

MrsC731 said:

Yes, I know that. But not all babies are average as we all know. :) My 39 and some odd days baby was 6lbs 9oz when we were discharged...

Of course :) just saying 4 is not the norm either. We have 37 week moms on our birth announcement thread with healthy babies of 7+lbs too.
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~