Toddlers: 24 Months+

delay potty training = bad??

edited November 2013 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
My 21-month-old is SO ready to potty train, will tell me "potty?" and pull off her diaper and go into the bathroom, hates to be poopy, etc. She's my little nudist! My elder daughter has been an inspiration I think.  :)  
I'm all ready to do the pants free/"three day" method which worked like a charm on my older daughter... but I have a schedule c-second for my third TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY.

Am I missing the boat? When I'm ready to potty train, in say, six months, will my toddler have gotten over her interest and dislike of a dirty/wet bum?

Should I go for it now, and pay the consequences?
or 
Wait and maybe pay the consequences?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: delay potty training = bad??

• Personally I would wait.  Obviously you wouldn't restrict her potty usage, but I wouldn't do the three day now.  I potty trained DD when DS was four months old, it wasn't a big deal.

Here's where I think it would be hard, you have a newborn and a newly trained child.  So your daughter is probably still going to need help wiping, washing hands, pulling up pants, etc all the while you have a brand new baby that you can't even really set down yet.  Then there's the accidents to clean up and extra laundry, it just seems like it would be so much easier to have your daughter in diapers a little longer.
  • MPaternitiMPaterniti member
    edited November 2013
    I am a fan of early potty training so I say go for it! I didn't use the 3 day method so I don't know much about how it goes but I say just watch/listen for her cues and take a gradual approach. If she asked to go potty take her, if not change her as usual. This way your not ignoring her readiness and eagerness to learn, also not taking on more then you can handle. We took a gradual approach and by 20months my daughter was daytime trained, by 23 months she was dry during naps and by 25 months we got rid of pull-ups all together. My biggest suggestion would be to invest in pull-ups, they are a little pricier (we used huggies slip-on diapers vs "pull-ups" because they were cheaper) but this way your not taking diapers on and off and if she is dry after she uses the potty she/you can pull them up and move on! Oh and also hand sanitizer was a lifesaver for us. Every time my daughter wanted to use the potty it was a big production to wash hands after, eventually we started giving her a squirt of sanitizer (she loves to ask for a squirt now) to cut down on the washing time and mess :)
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2013
    I don't believe there's a magical window that closes if you don't take advantage. I think my son was ready shortly after two but we waited until 2y5m because we wanted to wait until after our family vacation which involved a very long car ride, amusement park, long bike rides/hikes, etc. he trained in 2.5 days. I know many people successfully train before two but anecdotally lots of my friends who did it that young dealt with lots of accidents and a much longer process (and there's research to back this i believe) than those who did it older. I would put her in pull ups and reward her for success in the potty but I don't think I'd do the three day method right before a new baby as you're likely going to have to repeat it since theres a chance shell regress after baby is born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS was 28 months old when DD was born via csection. He was showing signs of being ready right before my delivery but I held him back until DD was a month old. Then I went for it. I think it helped prove he wasn't a baby. He has done great ever since. I would definitely wait just a month or 2. I heal fast from my csections so I felt good & could lift him up so I went for it. Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a c/s and didn't PT my daughter before because I didn't want to deal with a newborn and a newly PT kid. When DS was maybe two weeks old DD got a horrible open rash and ended up potty training then. I could kick myself for not doing it before having DS.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Oh and DD was 19 months.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • I agree that I don't think there's really a magical window.  I personally would not do it.  The first few weeks of being trained my DD peed a lot and still had accidents.  I think they need lots of extra support at that time which would be very difficult with a newborn to care for as well.  Having 2 in diapers is much easier.  I actually miss the assembly line style diaper changes!
  • I was in a very similar situation with my girls, but I waited until a few weeks after baby was born and I definitely don't regret it. When we did train her we went for the 3 day method, but it only took 2 days and she was even staying dry over night and through naps. I think waiting was a good decisions for us on a few different levels. It gave DD1 lots of attention at a time when she really needed some special one on one time. And it was a time when I really wasn't going out much anyway so it was easy to stay on top of her.

• Thanks all!! I really appreciate the input.  I think I am going to wait.  I'm just too tired now... and I can only imagine how tired I'll be in a few weeks.  LOL  :D
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Right when I got home from my csection with DD#2, DD#1 was 21 months and was ready. I was lucky that my husband was home for a few weeks and we went for it using the 3 day method. I say go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say go for it, I think she should get the hang of it by then.
  • Go for it I regret not done it with my LO, after my secon baby, he just doesn't tell me or sit on the toilet anymore. Everytime I ask him to tell me or if he want to go to the bathroom he just started to cry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"